PDA

View Full Version : Twin pushchair v's tandem!

Rolacolapink
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi I have a twin (side by side) pushchair and finding the little ones are fighting! One is a new starter and they are particularly rough with the other child (scratching etc).

I haven't had to use a double for such young ones before so not experienced this problem until now - they are 13 months & 20 months.

I would be interested to hear how anyone else deals with this?

V. tempted to go purchase a tandem buggy to solve the issue!

Any help/suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

littlemiss60561
08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi, sorry to say the fighting doesn't always stop with a tandem! I had to be careful who went in the back of mine when they were "learning to behave"! as they can reach the child in front ( which will usually be hair ) and kick their seat ....
I'm actually going back to a side by side in the hope its lighter to push and to see if I can attach a buggy board ( not so light to then push,) . My tandem now, has a plastic clear divider but they still get their hands under it..

adedwards68
08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
I haven't had this problem, yet! But years ago I had a tandem for 2 of my own children. It was ok when youngest was a baby but as they got older the one in the rear seat would kick and push with her feet on the front seat. Also rear passenger can't see anything

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

Supernanny86
08-09-2013, 11:51 AM
The twins I look after are 2, they argue, I make sure the straps are right, seats at different heights so they can't reach each other!! It's a right pain!! When younger there was a blanket between them but that only worked until they were strong enough to pull it out!!

Hopefully they'll grow out of it!! SOON I hope!!!!!! :) :)

Rolacolapink
08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi, sorry to say the fighting doesn't always stop with a tandem! I had to be careful who went in the back of mine when they were "learning to behave"! as they can reach the child in front ( which will usually be hair ) and kick their seat ....
I'm actually going back to a side by side in the hope its lighter to push and to see if I can attach a buggy board ( not so light to then push,) . My tandem now, has a plastic clear divider but they still get their hands under it..

Oh yeah I didn't think about the kicking I wonder if I should try a phil & ted as a double. Where did u get the plastic divider from?

Dragonfly
08-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Always used a side by side ( last few years a out n about) yes you can get some nipping and poking each other but it soon stops. I don't think i would use a tandem to heavy up and down kerbs etc.

kellyskidz!
08-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I love my tandem, much more than my old side by side as I found it too wide on pavements and getting through doors lol. Couldn't go into any shops or play areas without leaving pushchair outside or folding it up.
Also I don't drive so tandems great for putting on bus. The kids don't fight as much either in the tandem like they used to in the side by side, although they have outgrown that stage anyway, but can issue a swift kick from the back of tandem to whoever is sat in the front if they're in that mood!
I have kept my side by side but would only use it in emergencies as its just too wide! #teamtandem lol x

Supernanny86
08-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I love my tandem, much more than my old side by side as I found it too wide on pavements and getting through doors lol. Couldn't go into any shops or play areas without leaving pushchair outside or folding it up.
Also I don't drive so tandems great for putting on bus. The kids don't fight as much either in the tandem like they used to in the side by side, although they have outgrown that stage anyway, but can issue a swift kick from the back of tandem to whoever is sat in the front if they're in that mood!
I have kept my side by side but would only use it in emergencies as its just too wide! #teamtandem lol x

I have to agree about doors!! Some shops I can't get in and in one shop once paid I've got to walk back round to the entrance!! Embarrassing :)

Emra81
08-09-2013, 06:16 PM
I've just registered and am having the same debate with myself at the mo rolacolapink but I think it very much depends on the buggy. Went to see a second hand mothercare urban detour a couple of days ago that was advertised on an fb selling page and it was enormous! Several inches wider than an internal door on both sides and I'd probably struggle to get it in the boot of my family hatchback! But a friend has a baby jogger city mini double for her twins and it's fab....don't think she has any probs with doorways and it's as light as a feather to push. Worth hunting around for what suits your needs I guess.

samb
08-09-2013, 06:44 PM
I have 2 doubles- a phil and teds etwin which is the side by side and a phil and teds e3 which is where you attach the second seat at the bottom or top.

I have an 18m old at the moment who does constantly grab the child next to her in the side by side buggy. I've been trying to use the other more with her so the other child doesn't get hurt. If she's at the bottom seat she touches the wheels and pulls at anything in the basket so I need to keep her in top seat for everyone's safety! However I have a 9month old starting and I don't think he will be comfortable in the bottom seat so tomorrow I'm going to try the side by side and see if she leaves him alone- wish me luck!

Rolacolapink
08-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies I think I'm going to persevere with the side by side and see how we get on.

I've got a Maclaren twin triumph and both seats recline. Might have to keep them both on recline and with straps as secure as possible!!

I usually drive to school etc so it's a very short journey in the pushchair from the car to school and back. They're not in it long but long enough to cause a problem. Hopefully they'll grow out of it as someone suggested.

Will still keep my eye on any Phil & Ted bargains on ebay I think :)

Thanks all x

littlemiss60561
08-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Oh yeah I didn't think about the kicking I wonder if I should try a phil & ted as a double. Where did u get the plastic divider from?

its already attached to the hood.my last one had nothing x

littlemiss60561
08-09-2013, 10:32 PM
would an activity bar fit on each? may keep them busy?!

greanan
09-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Def try an activity bar attached to each seat. I found it was much harder for them to get their arms over it a d reach the others ones face x

kellyskidz!
09-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Try giving them toys or books etc to keep them occupied too, this is where busy bags come in handy as I grab two when I leave the house and they keep them occupied on short trips xx

SJ35
09-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Def try an activity bar attached to each seat. I found it was much harder for them to get their arms over it a d reach the others ones face x

I've had to do this as two of my mindees insist on fighting. It has really helped x