PDA

View Full Version : How many of your toys are 'new'

adele1985
08-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Just wondering how many of your toys and equipment are bought new

I would say around 10% of my toys are new toys the rest I get from car boot sales, charity shops and hand me downs from family and my mindees

I love car boot sales lol just getting ready to set of for one one there are some great bargains to get :D

bindy
08-09-2013, 07:41 AM
I would say 99 per cent are new and 5 per cent are second hand.

mpullen17387
08-09-2013, 07:46 AM
I would say 100% of my toy/resources cupboard is second hand!.. I too love a car boot sale and if any of my childminder friends are having a sort out I am quite happy to have a nose through first haha xx

loocyloo
08-09-2013, 07:54 AM
I used to have more second hand toys, but there are less carboots/charity shops around where I live now and it is not so easy to visit them, so I find myself using amazon and ebay more. that said, a fair bit from ebay is second hand.

as long as toys are clean and in good working order, I don't think it matters where they come from.

amirose
08-09-2013, 07:55 AM
I would say 99 per cent are new and 5 per cent are second hand.

That really bugs my OCD lol, that makes 104% argh! Lol

I'd said mines about 70% second hand and 30% new
All of the new toys I do buy tend to get given away as gifts!

VeggieSausage
08-09-2013, 08:22 AM
I buy from car boots and charity shops and buy very little new unless its very very cheap....

maisiemog
08-09-2013, 08:59 AM
About 50/50 at the moment. We go to the car boot at least once a month and get a lot but my husband works for amazon so I use his staff discount a lot more than I would like to admit. Plus most of the toys we use for minding have originally been brought new for DD and we now use them for minding as she wants to play with them with mindees.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I have a lot of my own childrens toys, some are 22 years old and I buy new when the sales are on. Most of what I buy is up to date like happyland.

westbrom44
08-09-2013, 09:49 AM
I have a mixture of my own children's old toys, carboot and charity shop toys, passed on toys and new toys.

I tend to acquire toys according to the children's interests that I have at the time although I am constantly being told by my family that enough is enough!

chriss
08-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Have lots of my own childrens toys which are a good few years old, some car boot and charity shop. Just dont have the money to buy new, and to be honest no need to as have bought good quality from facebook sites, etc at a fraction of what they would be. I give them all a wipe with anti bac or hot soap and water before use and every now and again

Glitter
08-09-2013, 10:20 AM
None of my toys are new. They all belonged to my children.
My mindees hardly play with 'toys' at the moment, so the only new thing I have bought recently are some more clothes pegs for them to play with.

dominiquegait
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi I've found some great buys in car boots and charity shops near me. British heart foundation is excellent as they check all the pieces are in the box before you buy. jigsaws are normally £1.50 rather than £1 in other shops worth it for me. I bought a job lot of unread first reading books that retail for £69.99 for £7 I was chuffed to bits as my dd is starting to read.

I go into charity shops on a Monday as that tends to be best for toys and books that have been donated over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

bindy
08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
That really bugs my OCD lol, that makes 104% argh! Lol

I'd said mines about 70% second hand and 30% new
All of the new toys I do buy tend to get given away as gifts!

Sorry thought I had put 95, slip of the finger, typing too fast!!

shortstuff
08-09-2013, 01:20 PM
the only child who gets brand new in my setting is DS.

I love charity shops and car boot sales they are amazing and the value for money is brill too x

last weekend i got a maclaren double buggy and retro wendy house for £10!

Mouse
08-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Until about 1 year ago everything I bought was brand new. I had no second hand toys or equipment. Everything was also good quality. Nothing particularly cheap.

Then I discovered facebook selling pages and carboot sales!

I've bought very little new since then. I have had some absolutely brilliant bargains and the children love coming in on a Monday morning to see what I have bought over the weekend! Then when we've finished with a toy, I sell it on, or give it to the charity shop. When I've bought new stuff I feel I have to keep hold of it, but when it's cheap, I'm happy if I can sell it for enough to get my money back :D

Chellewilks
08-09-2013, 08:46 PM
What a fab thread!
100% second hand, and love a car boot especially when you get a good cheap buy ;) and you come home find it on line and see what the original rrp.
My little lady loves coming to, she puts her pennies in a purse gives it to dh and says when I run out spending yours daddy ill use mine lol! We have a game who can spend dh money first ;).
my mums fab and picks up really unique bits out of charity shops for me and i get so excited when she turns up with bags full, she also loves seeing the little ones diving in and she helps them set out where they want all there new treasures.

munch149
09-09-2013, 06:57 AM
90 percent second hand. My daughters only 18 months so most of the new stuff is hers. Have got a few bargains online tho. Absolutely love car boots etc tho. Recently got some great stuff on charity shops such as games and things like bags, hats for dressing up.

hollyvilla
09-09-2013, 08:10 AM
I would think about 80% of my toys are second hand. Some belonged to my own children who are 32, 27 and 26. Duplo lasts forever and our little tykes car was my youngests first birthday present.

Cinnamon Sugar
09-09-2013, 08:26 AM
I love charity shops and car boot sales they are amazing and the value for money is brill too x

I've just started 'car booting' got a massive bin bag full of mega blocks for £3 woohoo!

Samijanec
09-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Most of my toys are my sons hand me downs and his current toys that he says he wants to share ( he is three) the rest are from charity shops and car boots..

karen m
09-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Most of mine are given to me when my grandson has finished with them , but car boots and charity shops are fab

perkins90
09-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Most of mine are from car boots, parents that have donated and I also use our local toy library, which is great for the bigger more expensive toys which I could never afford