PDA

View Full Version : Diary for a 4 year old?

kimmy79
07-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

i will soon be having a 4 year old for aprox 2 weekends a month (with a diff minder for before school and school hols). where do i stand on daily diaries for this child? Should i keep a diary for him? Most diaries i have seen are set out pretty much for everyday use, any suggestions greatly appreciated!
thanks in advance :thumbsup:

moggy
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
So this is a child in full time school, so you are kind of part of the 'wrap-around care'?
You don't really need to do much at all for that, just complement learning at school.

If you see the parent at drop-off and collection then I would not bother with daily diary. The child is old enough to say what they did/ate each day and you can give verbal feedback.

I think daily diaries are really only for babies and toddlers where you need to write about feeds/nappies/naps etc and child can't talk for themselves. I would only do one for an older child is there was some special reason.

You could do a scrap book about what they do/outings/wow-moments/artwork but that is all I'd do, no diary and no full learning journal.

kimmy79
08-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks moggy :)

sarah707
08-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I don't tend to do a diary for parents once their child can reliably share information about their day here - unless it is requested.

For the child if they are part time and at school as moggy suggests I'd just do some brief recording of what the child enjoys and does with you :D

kimmy79
09-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Thank you sarah