PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Charlieboy1965
07-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi all
Hoping to do childminding with my husband, just going through pre-reg and trying to get the house and garden sorted - hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions
1. We have got a toilet (what used to be the old outside toilet) off of the kitchen (only 1 door between them) - if we get a sink put in there will this be ok for the children to use so they don't have to use the family bathroom?
2. If we decide not to use the toilet mentioned above will they say it's to near food prep areas?
3. We have a large pond in the garden (approx. 6 foot x 15 foot) do we need to go to the expense of fencing this all round or will Ofsted be OK with no fence if one of us will always be outside with the children?
Sorry if this has all been answered before
Thanks in advance

blue bear
07-09-2013, 09:28 AM
I cant see the toilet being an issue it's only for new builds that the two door policy applies to and occording to the trainer on the health and safety course I did it doesn't affect food areas as long as door is shut at all times.

The pond will need seeing to, its a major hazard, even if you are out there with the children you only need to turn for a minute to pick a child up and another could fall in, fencing it off seems the most likely action from ofsted, you can buy those metal grates to fit over the top to prevent access but as I don't have one I really don't know hopefully someone with experience of this will be along shortly.

adedwards68
07-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Personally I would fence the pond off. It only takes a second for one to fall in. 1 adult could be changing a nappy then a mindee might hurt themselves and both your attention would be taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

scottishlass
07-09-2013, 11:04 AM
I would fence the pond off too - my uncle had a pond and years ago my 2 year old cousin was found face down in it - he was thought to be indoors - thankfully he was found in then and is now a 20 something but could have been so different x

Charlieboy1965
07-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Many thanks to all of you
Your help is greatly appreciated
:thumbsup: