PDA

View Full Version : London conference

Simona
07-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I am in London at a conference and will be listening to Meg Hillier MP give a lecture 'Can Labour win the argument on Childcare?'
Family and Childcare Trust are to speak too...will feedback if anything important comes up

Simona
07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
I might have to stand up in a minute and defend women who deliver Childcare.
I hear women struggle with Childcare but don't we struggle to deliver high quality?

FussyElmo
07-09-2013, 09:22 AM
I might have to stand up in a minute and defend women who deliver Childcare.
I hear women struggle with Childcare but don't we struggle to deliver high quality?

Im sure you will do us proud Simona :thumbsup:

Simona
07-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Im sure you will do us proud Simona :thumbsup:

I did ask but got waffle back
Just spotted Meg Hillier and I know Lucy Powell MP is in here somewhere...I am going on a bear hunt!
It did get cms mentioned a lot....so hurray for that!

Rachel6
07-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Your doing a fab job today,I'm always telling my parents mostly the mummies what a wonderful job they do & why shouldn't they go back to work when some of them have stupid for years at uni to get the job they want. If I hadn't done nannying & then childminding then I'm sure my kids would have had to go into childcare so I always try & see a lot of things from a parents & child's view. Good luck today

Simona
07-09-2013, 12:30 PM
The issues that came up at the lecture are that Labour needs to be bold and start talking about universal Childcare, cost of Childcare as unaffordable, the Free Entitlement etc etc etc...nothing new
My questions were:
Who will pay for universal Childcare as we can hardly afford to subsidise what we have now?
Why is Childcare costly, can the panel define costly?
The free entitlement is a subsidy by providers, why is it not index linked?

Replies did not cover questions so I went over to Meg Hillier and put a flea in her ear about Ofsted and alerted her to OfstedBigConversation, we touched on agencies
She had to leave but gave me her card ....so a letter to her should follow

Childcare is a big issue here today but I see it discussed from parents' perspective not providers
I am waiting to hear Lucy Powell MP give her speech...will get back if she says anything pertinent

Simona
07-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Something is certainly cooking in the Labour pot...but we have to wait a bit longer for any announcements

3 cms managed to speak to Lucy Powell after the session reinforcing the need to look at the Free Entitlement and change its name as it is neither free nor an entitlement...Early Years Subsidy is more like it...she agrees that education should be funded by the state not providers...there is hope yet for us all!