PDA

View Full Version : How many observations

EmmaReed84
06-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I have a 10 month old only one day a week.

Should I be making sure I do an observation every time I have her? Or just when I feel it necessary? She has only just started so I imagine I will be doing them each week, possibly a couple a day, as I learn and see new things, like for example pulling herself up on using the sofa for support etc.

So how would you do it?

Bluebell
06-09-2013, 05:41 PM
i usually aim for 1 or 2 a month if they not with me much but yes when they new and in a fast development stage then there will be lots more. sorry thats not that helpful! i suppose if they older you would need to do more otherwise you might not be able to show all areas of learning and development.

blue bear
06-09-2013, 06:06 PM
I only do them for something that makes me go wow, for a new starter especially at that age I start off doing loads and hen as they become familiar it slows down to roughly four a month. Sometimes none for weeks then six in a day sort of thing.

sing-low
06-09-2013, 09:02 PM
I have similar age LOs ( 2 on different days) and have been doing loads of obs but for the one I've had longest (2 months with break over the summer) it has now slowed down. Didn't do ANY today! For me, it's been part of getting to know them and also for RAs - one still wobbles when sitting, other crawling all over, pulls up to stand but can then fall. Have to have eyes in the back of my head!

serin
06-09-2013, 10:33 PM
By arranging activities for them to do, the challenge will give you more observations to write. Eg playdough, sticking, colouring, painting, stacking, anything. To be honest I find the once a week hard to observe and plan and assess. Its not enough time once a week.