PDA

View Full Version : Hand washing & nappy changing

Miss freckles
06-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Ok, so at the moment I have a one year old, and two 19 mth olds, two of them are new and as I'm awaiting my first graded inspection I need to make sure I'm doing everything by the Ofsted rules and regulations having worked in schools I know how picky they can be.

So hand washing am I meant to take all three upstairs to wash their hands, my one yr old doesn't walk one of my others still needs support when walking and the other screams whenever we go upstairs or in the garden!! Or would it be reasonable to have a bowl of warm soapy water to wash hands or would Ofsted frown upon this?

Also same kind of question for nappy changes, do I have to take all three upstairs to change one in the bathroom or can I do it downstairs?

I'm new to the younger ones even though I have my own children and nephews its all so different as there is so many guidelines to follow.

If anyone can offer some advice I'd really appreciate it so I know I'm doing the right thing for my inspection

Thanks

clareelizabeth1
06-09-2013, 08:57 AM
You can use a bowl to wash their hands, just risk assess for spillage.

Nappies can also be done downstairs again just risk assess and do it if possible in an area where they are given some privacy but you can still keep an ear on the others.

Samantha_j41
06-09-2013, 08:59 AM
I had my inspection last week, however im in scotland

I have a changing mat, i use gloves and apron and after each use i use a anti bacterial wipe on mat. Scswis approved of this.

Handwashing i do in kitchen sink, sorry but there is no way i would be taking my 3 under 3 upstairs, to wash hands.

Goatgirl
06-09-2013, 09:58 AM
I have heard conflicting advice about Ofsted's view on the bowl of soapy water: as its shared, children will spread germs/ bacteria in the water etc. But I can't set up or be bothered to mess about with refilling separate bowls for each child downstairs.

I do the communal bowl with lots of bubbles for proper mess eg mud, sand, paint, and individual wet wipes for before/after eating, after stroking pets etc

a squirt of anti bac gel ater nappy changes, sneezes, coughs, use of potty (I do the wiping and wash my hands in the kitchen)

and toilet trained children go upstairsto the loo, where i have a refillable basin that fits on to the side of the bath for them to reach: push down soap with a wide top for ease of use stands in the water and individual towels (different colours) hanging up a few feet away.

I do nappy changes on a mat on the floor. Wipe it over with a wet wipe sometimes with a squirt of anti bac gel.

WOW just read that back. Sounds like I'm a clean freak!!!!
(I'm sooo not :laughing:)

sing-low
06-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Where did you get the basin that goes on the side of the bath?

Goatgirl
06-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Where did you get the basin that goes on the side of the bath?

can't remember now - was an idea i got from the forum though... a baby catalogue of some kind, online.....

kellyskidz!
06-09-2013, 10:32 AM
I had this question ready for my environmental health check as really its their area of expertise, OFSTED will ask about hand washing and hygiene but EH work more with cross contamination and spread of disease or illness
I asked the man who came out if it was ok to use a bowl of soapy water and he said yes as long as each child has separate cloths to wash their hands and faces with. Also he suggested wetting the cloths first then giving them to the child so their not all dunking hands in one bowl of water. He said to do this before and after each meal, and before and after baking and also when they come in from being outside.
He also said taking some hand sanitizer spray to playgroups etc was good practise too
As for nappies, I change the little ones in a separate room to where the others are playing, usually in the living room as they play in the dining room, and mrs o never said anything about this
Hope this helps xx

sing-low
06-09-2013, 10:35 AM
can't remember now - was an idea i got from the forum though... a baby catalogue of some kind, online.....

ALL the best ideas come from here.:clapping::clapping:

Goatgirl
06-09-2013, 10:46 AM
If this link works you can see a picture.

Vertbaudet - BABYMOOV Mini Child Sink customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings (http://reviews.vertbaudet.co.uk/5173-en_gb/703403008/babymoov-mini-child-sink-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=submissionTime&dir=asc)

Mine is white though, and although it looks exactly the same I don't think it was a babymoov, who don't make them any more btw.

might be worth a forum search or several :thumbsup:

sarah707
06-09-2013, 11:15 AM
I have 3 little ones some days and I am not traipsing them all into the outhouse to wash hands.

I use a bowl and individual paper towels - the children sit - open their legs - wash their hands in the bowl - dry hands - I refresh the water and soap for the next one.

They are in a really good routine now and will line up waiting :)

Miss freckles
06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Excellent, thank you everybody. All these things are so simple but just want to make sure I have all these little details correct.
Don't want to get told off ☺
Where would I be without this forum!

Bluebell
07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I used the bowl of water and proudly told Mrs O that it was due to advice from my EH visit and one of the kids knocked whole thing over!!

So now I use a drinks dispenser with a tap that I top up with warm water, sat in a very small water play table. Its ideal the kids can turn the 'tap' on themselves and the water flows into the water tray that is at the right height for the children. I sit the soap in the tray and the towel over the top of the drinks dispenser lid. Not only that but it has a plug on it for easy draining, I keep an ikea storage box under (as its flat and won't tip over) and the water drains into that and i then tip it away.

I got the water tray for about £20 and the drinks dispenser from Morrisons for £10.