PDA

View Full Version : Lunch Break

batty
05-09-2013, 02:29 PM
I had a potential client the other day. We were discussing the hours she would need me, she wanted 8-6 (10h). Further in to the conversation she mentioned that it would be 9 hours. I then corrected her and said 8-6 would be 10 hours, she then came back with what about lunch break?. I was astonished and said well I don't get a lunch break and the children are always with me. Has anyone else had anything like this?

Rick
05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
What a ridiculous thing to say! The children don't magically disappear for an hour!

Mrsh3103
05-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Oh what I'd give for any kind of break during my 12-13 hour days!!!

JCrakers
05-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Tell her she's welcome to come pick up at 12pm and drop back off at 1 :D While she's at it she can pick up the others too so you can have a proper cup of tea :thumbsup:

kellib
05-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Is she suggesting she give up her lunch break to come collect her child for an hour? That's what I'd be asking lol.

She'd soon get sick of it if she was suggesting that lol!!

Chellewilks
05-09-2013, 03:50 PM
This did make me laugh out loud :laughing::laughing::laughing:!
What planets are these parents coming from, surely she never gets to sit quietly has lunch for a hour!! (Which a lot jobs you don't get) whilst child is at home! Even when I have my own little lady at home I just about finish a sandwich and were up and onto something or chatting through out.

Kerry30
05-09-2013, 04:46 PM
I had a nanny job years ago where the mother didnt want to pay me whilst the children slept???!! Her 2 children both slept for 3 hours every afternoon. Bear in mind they lived in the middle of nowhere in a small cluster of houses and it was half hr drive to my house. And she wasnt always working from home. So i said i would do ironing etc whilst they slept. She didnt want me to sit down whilst they slept (i worked 8am - 7pm) not even to eat lunch. Wonder what goes thru peoples minds sometimes!!

WibbleWobble
05-09-2013, 04:53 PM
I did get this once....I laughed and said I didn't have time to fart never mind have a lunch hour!!!!

Wibble x

Supernanny86
05-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I did get this once....I laughed and said I didn't have time to fart never mind have a lunch hour!!!!

Wibble x

Lolololololololol!!!

k1rstie
05-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Made me chuckle. What about them only paying you from once they arrive and start work -they do not get paid travelling time!

JulieA
05-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Actually in the parents favour it could have just been a mistake based on her hours. When I worked in an office I used to work an eight hour day but actually was in the office for nine hours because of lunch. So maybe this s what she had in mind.

Maza
05-09-2013, 05:33 PM
How about the hours you spend setting up, planning, doing learning journeys, oh my, they would be bankrupt if we charged them all the hours we do actually work!

lisa1968
05-09-2013, 06:19 PM
I can remember reading about a childminder who was told by a parent that she wasn't prepared to pay for when their child was asleep.
The childminder replied "Thats fine.You won't mind if I go and get my hair done or do the shopping while they're asleep then?"
Brilliant!

Koala
05-09-2013, 06:21 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
No words but I think I've pee'd myself!! :laughing: :laughing:

karensmart4
05-09-2013, 07:31 PM
That's a classic... I guess she was thinking of how her own hours work, I bet she was embarrassed later in the day when she realised what she'd said :jump for joy:

FloraDora
05-09-2013, 07:31 PM
I think you might be onto a winner with this parent- she could have been wondering what happens during your lunch break( which she is obviously is used to in her job) and will now be very sympathetic to your role now she realises that you never get any breaks!

Interested to see how it pans out.

The Juggler
05-09-2013, 08:50 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: aw bless poor mum probably just thinkign about her own contract of employment and has no idea how that would actually work in childminding :laughing:

charlottenash
05-09-2013, 08:52 PM
I bet she will have a lot more empathy for you realising you have no breaks now!