PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old walking out of private nursery and making own way home.

Tazmin68
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
In the news today. A child aged 2 walked out of a private nursery passed through electric gates. Walked half mike home through woods got home which is by a canal and shouted at front door mommy I'm home. Parents have now changed nursery. Council and police involved nothing mentioned about ofsted.

ziggy
05-09-2013, 01:23 PM
how awful.

my 4yr old mindee started school this week. He comes back to me on school bus. On Monday he told his mummy that he was going to walk back to my house instead of getting bus. We explained he must never do that but it was a bit worrying.

Dont think he could get out of school doors (but you never know) but gates arent locked.

I'm sure Ofsted will have to be informed of what happened with nursery child.

AgentTink
05-09-2013, 01:25 PM
wow, i am just speechless. Thank god the story ended how it did and not something more tragic.

There was a local nursery close to me who just over 2 years ago 2 little 3 year olds got out of the broken fence and went for a wlk down a busy high street, and the staff hadnt even noticed they were missing. :panic: not sure what ever happened to the nursery as it is still operating today.

EmmaReed84
05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
That is ridiculous!!! I am utterly speechless! :panic: :angry:

rickysmiths
05-09-2013, 01:50 PM
There was a nursery earlier this year where two siblings went. I think the Grandparent went to collect them to be told they had already been collected. It turned out no one had collected them they had got out of the nursery and walked home. :panic: They were only 2 and 3.

It makes me laugh when did you last hear of a story like this about a childminder? If it did I bet they would close us down subject to an investigation but the never seem to close these Nurseries down they just get a wrap over the knuckles and carry on.

However the story I think you may be referring to happened in Canada and the Daycare has been shut down.

Three toddlers (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/three-toddlers-escape-liverpool-nursery-3339882)

Anger as three-year-old walks out of nursery - Liverpool Echo (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/anger-three-year-old-walks-out-nursery-3489464)

Anger as three-year-old walks out of nursery - Liverpool Echo (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/anger-three-year-old-walks-out-nursery-3489464)

Childcare Clair: Children escape from nursery (http://www.childcareclair.com/2012/08/children-escape-from-nursery.html)

I have now had this pop up on my news feed I guess this is what you saw.

BBC News - Runcorn's Windmill Hill Nursery girl aged 2 walked off (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-23973542) Terrible. Liverpool again. It makes you wonder at the standard of training for staff there.

Simona
05-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Do you think the nursery will get an 'unannounced' Ofsted visit?...sorry couldn't help the remark!!

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2013, 05:41 PM
This is classed as "significant harm" and if it was a childminder they would be suspended immediately

Before school term closed in June a child was missing from a nursery attached to a school and they were closed immediately. The child had wandered from the nursery playground to the school playground and was safe but the suspension stood until it was completely investigated by Ofsted.

Simona
05-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Beyond that we need to ask 'what was a workman doing in the nursery'? was he there for emergency work or just routine work with the children present?
Once again we raise the issue of who we let in in our settings...food for thoughts but I am sure Ofsted will respond to this

karen m
05-09-2013, 07:36 PM
I live close by to nursery and like others have said if that was a minder we would be closed immediately until a investigation had been done. Someone mentioned it was Liverpool no it is Runcorn and on news tonight that Ofsted are investigating

Simona
06-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Latest on the incident from Mail Online

Two-year-old Louise Hilton walks out of Cheshire nursery and all the way home after 'workman left door open' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2412605/Two-year-old-Louise-Hilton-walks-Cheshire-nursery-way-home-workman-left-door-open.html)

Ripeberry
06-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Thank goodness one of the parents was at home. What if no-one had been? The child could have gone wandering off anywhere. If I was the parents I would not trust any nursery ever again :(

Dragonfly
06-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Runcorn is CHESHIRE NOT LIVERPOOL!

Twinkling Stars
06-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Runcorn is CHESHIRE NOT LIVERPOOL!

Thank you, i wanted to make that point as well!!

karen m
06-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I made the point yesterday it was Runcorn not Liverpool

Jiorjiina
06-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm more interested in how a workman was able to leave a door open, in all honesty. Don't they have a receptionist/front desk? Or a door buzzer system? There was just a workman left alone in a nursery full of small children? :eek:

munch149
07-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Private nurseries don't always have the same securities. My sis works in one as whilst doors have security there is no reception. If someone left the door open unknown anyone could get in or out. I worry that they didn't even notice they were gone. Two many children and staff things can often get missed or excused as 'oh someone else must have seen them go.' Recently a child got from childminding playground to nursery playground whilst I was out. Childminder noticed her child was missing immediately. Nursery staff didn't notice an extra child had appeared???

Anacrusis
07-09-2013, 04:04 PM
When my children were at school a reception child left & went home, and like this two -year-old, no-one noticed! They only found out when the Mum rang up. She had been out but luckily a neighbour was in and had called her. Luckily he didn't come to any harm either.