PDA

View Full Version : Taking the next steps to becoming a childmnder

Katie24Wood
05-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Hello all. Last year I completed my childminding training. I am now in a position to begin to set up my business, as the house is almost complete and I have taken up supply teaching...but where to start?
I want to have everything set up and ready before I begin to register with OFSTED.
It would be great to have some advice on what needs to be done and the order in which it is best to do it in, from people who have had first hand experience.
Thank you

moggy
05-09-2013, 12:02 PM
If you want to get CMing then get your application started now. You'll have plenty of time during the application process to work on other things- it can take months! Do you have your First Aid done?

Otherwise, you can think about things like-

Risk assessments and safety equipment for the age of children you are hoping to have, check your garden for fences/hedges that could be a risk (gaps where children can get out).
You can research Pacey and Morton Michel for insurance and think if you want to be a Pacey member.
See what support or funding your LA are offering.
Check out local fees and plan what you want to charge
Think about if you want a business name or not, look at stationary and marketing ideas
Check what equipment you have for the age of children you are hoping to have (cots, highchairs, toys?)
Work out nap options (bedrooms, travel cots?)
Get quote for business insurance for home and car- check if your current insurers will just add it for no extra fee.
Find your local CM groups, Family Centre etc and meet other CMs to support you.
Research if particular schools nearby are short of CM wrap-around care (before/after school).