PDA

View Full Version : after school regret

Memina
04-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Today I started with an after school child who is the elder sister of a baby I care for. She's always done afterschool club but mum wanted her to come to me.

I've not had any older ones for a while. She's a good girl but she looked borde and out of place and I sort of wished she wasn't there as I felt the dynamic of the setting was changed.

No point to this post really just sharing my thoughts.

Koala
05-09-2013, 05:13 AM
Thanks for sharing.

I have been tempted to take on older siblings for before and after school purely to help out the parents but I have stuck fast with pre schoolers only for exactly the same reasons as you mentioned.

From past experiences I feel what you are experiencing is quite normal and there can be too diverse a mix of ages and interests for it to work.

Good luck and I hope things get better, it may be an idea to introduce a project for the older one? A lot of hard work at the end of the day when this is generally my wind down time.

sarah707
05-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Older ones can be hard work if they don't want to play with the little ones and get stuck in with the cooking etc.

Get her involved in her own planning! That's how we do it... that and dividing them so they are all busy and not niggling each other (worse for siblings)...

We are doing 'schools' for the next few weeks because it's an ongoing interest. The children have planned their own play pretty much once we gave them a few ideas - it's taken a while to get to this point but they get really enthusiastic now about what they are going to do - they even talk about it at school :laughing:

Make sure you've got lots she can do on her own as well if she wants some down time - puzzle books, hama beads, older toys etc.

I am sure you will all get to know each other quickly :D

sprinkles
05-09-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm the same! I pick up the sister of little one and she is the only after school one I have. I feel the dynamics totally change when she's here and it often feels awkward!

I sometimes feel like I act differently as feel she is 'watching' me, ready to go back and tell mum if I give little one in trouble. I have a feeling she will have on Tuesday as I told little one off for stuffing her mouth full of snack then spitting it out all over the table!!

sprinkles
05-09-2013, 07:25 AM
I'm the same! I pick up the sister of little one and she is the only after school one I have. I feel the dynamics totally change when she's here and it often feels awkward!

I sometimes feel like I act differently as feel she is 'watching' me, ready to go back and tell mum if I give little one in trouble. I have a feeling she will have on Tuesday as I told little one off for stuffing her mouth full of snack then spitting it out all over the table!!

Prime example...mum just dropped off and said she's put a snack in schoolies bag as she was moaning she doesn't get one (little one has hers when we get back from school run). I ask her every day if she wants a drink and/or snack - I don't provide snacks but always have fruit in the house she can have.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Just smile sweetly and say okay - go with the flow

As to she is bored - take on another around the same age!

CLL
05-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Prime example...mum just dropped off and said she's put a snack in schoolies bag as she was moaning she doesn't get one (little one has hers when we get back from school run). I ask her every day if she wants a drink and/or snack - I don't provide snacks but always have fruit in the house she can have.

Schoolies are always hungry when they get back in after school. My own son is starving and asks to eat loads. Maybe she feels awkward asking for stuff, I wouldn't ask I would have just said it is snack time would you like x or y? If mum knew you didn't supply a snack then she should have really brought one.

ziggy
05-09-2013, 07:37 AM
I made a decision during first week of holidays (july) not to have schoolies unless i have younger siblings and I wont be having over 8's ever again.

I dont have my own children at home now so dont offer things older children need (computers etc).

My play room isnt very big and it isnt fair on schoolies or younger mindees.

I think idea mentioned of taking on another schoolie the same age may be a good idea

good luck

sprinkles
05-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Schoolies are always hungry when they get back in after school. My own son is starving and asks to eat loads. Maybe she feels awkward asking for stuff, I wouldn't ask I would have just said it is snack time would you like x or y? If mum knew you didn't supply a snack then she should have really brought one.

I don't supply any food! I always ask if she wants a drink and a snack, she will often say she would like a drink and I ask her again if she wants snack and she says no. I don't think she would moan if little one had already had snack before we pick her up though - I think it's because she sees her with her snack.