PDA

View Full Version : not a great start!

vici1979
04-09-2013, 08:57 PM
So, I started childminding on Monday. First two days were great.

Today I had a 16month old. He's supposed to be with me four days a week, awkward hours but I could easily accommodate that. The parents have met both me and my partner. They've spent time chatting to us in our garden with our dog. It was his first day today so she dropped him off with all his food and snacks and the car seat. She was a bit reluctant to lend me the car seat but I explained I can't buy them all in one go and I said I would buy his next week. When she picked him up I told her he had eaten all his food, what we had been doing today and how he had been. She went to get the car seat out of my car and as she did this I unlocked my car. It is literally 3ft outside my front door. I had wedged the front door open so I could see my 3year old in the living room sitting on the sofa with a book. In exactly the same way as I can see him through the kitchen window in the garden whilst preparing lunch. As I was walking back in the door my 3 year old started crying and she said 'he's crying'. I sat him down and discovered he had fallen and banged his cheek on the sofa. All sorted, comforted, checked, fine. The Mum left her son with me whilst she fitted the car seat back in her car. I was sat in my porch with her son on my lap and my 3 year old on the sofa 2ft away. My dog was at my feat and barked at another dog that walked past the open porch. The mum came back, picked up her son, said bye and went. At 830pm I had two missed calls on my mobile. I did not recognise the number and they didnt leave a message. I then got a funny text from the 16 month olds Dad saying they no longer required my childcare facilities and they would pay me for today but that is it. I am really upset. What could I possibly have done wrong in 5hours that they can't even tell me?? I've replied asking why but I have had no response. I was feeling so positive at the beginning of the week and now I'm gutted. I am also properly stitched up money wise. yes they did sign a contract and naively I did not take a deposit!! I'm mainly worried as to what I could have got so wrong.I am really reluctant to take on really little ones now. It's really upset me. If there is something blatantly obvious in what I have done wrong I would love to know. As I said this is my first week!!! Yes I am inexperienced but I really want to offer a great service and now I don't know what to do!

When they first signed their contract with me they said they had pulled their child out of another childminder because they suspected another child there was scratching their son and the childminder was doing nothing about it. I'm now thinking this may either be a lie or they will never be satisfied.

Some words of encouragement from some of you lovely people would be sooooooo appreciated right now. :(

scottishlass
05-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi vici

I am still a new childminder too just reg in nov. don't let it out you off - there are some parents that are very overprotective and hard to please - is it there first child?

Only thing I can think off is that they didn't like that your lo was inside alone? ESP if they are first time parents they maybe didn't understand you could still see him etc and that you wouldn't leave their lo alone? We all do things with our own kids we can't to with minded kids - maybe they didn't realise that? Some people who are wary of dogs don't like them barking - maybe they read more into this?

Just guesses really but don't let it put you off taken someone else on xx

moggy
05-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd try not to worry- could have been anything or nothing, who knows, maybe a parent lost their job... or they are mucking you around and they have a habit of it... you might never know.

What you need to do now is move on and act professionally:

1] IN WRITING to them (no more texts), Signed For delivery, refer them to your contract that they signed, say you take their text as notice of end of contract, state what they owe you and when you expect to be paid and what you will do if you are not paid (take legal advise etc). You can ask in a professional manner that you are disappointed they are ending the contract and you would be glad to hear any feedback from them. Keep it relatively friendly at first because they have not refused to pay, yet?

2] Change your policy to insist on a deposit, or at least payment in advance.

3] Then get back out there and fill that vacancy!

vici1979
05-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks.
They haven't responded to me at all. Another childminder has suggested that maybe they just needed care for a day and had no intention of coming back. It did seem odd that they didn't bring back any of the paperwork I had given them and she works in childcare so I would have thought she would know how important it was. Oh well. Either way they have broken the terms of their contract (not given me written notice of termination and not given me 4 weeks notice) so I've sent them a letter today reminding them of their contractual obligations and that they need to pay me for 4 weeks as the contract states. I can't afford to be messed about like that and I've turned down 2 other families because they signed the contract. I am guessing they won't pay up but we'll see.

thanks for your advice
x

Goatgirl
05-09-2013, 01:28 PM
When they first signed their contract with me they said they had pulled their child out of another childminder because they suspected another child there was scratching their son and the childminder was doing nothing about it. I'm now thinking this may either be a lie or they will never be satisfied. (

Think you hit the nail on the head right there by the sound of it! :group hug:
I know its upsetting now, but one day, after you've minded lots of little ones (with realistic parents) and know they appreciated you, you'll look back and laugh. Just try to learn from it and move on :).

On the bright side... At least you don't have to continue, with them picking holes and interrogating you about everything you do. Life's too short to work with parents who are suspicious and critical of you. You have space now for some decent, respectful parents to come along :thumbsup:

What are the terms of the contract to terminate with immediate effect? Are they supposed to pay you still? Did you have a settling in period where either party could end the contract at short notice? If not they really should stick to the terms of the contract and I would probably be ringing my insurance company for advice. Unless I thought the stress would be too much to handle and not worth putting myself through it....

I don't take a deposit but do always get paid in advance, a month or 4 weeks at a time. Take care of yourself next time ;)

ziggy
05-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Please try not to worry. Some parents are never happy no matter what you do.

I am minding 3yr old just for this week. His mummy has had more minders/nannies/home helps in 6yrs than any person I know. She finished one last month after a week because her 6yr old said she didnt like her and mummy felt minder didnt play with them enough.

I have them odd times if i can. She once asked me how long her daughter's poo was?????:laughing:

I guess that is why it is a good idea to have a settling in period

bunnyjess
05-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Ah I feel your pain! I've only been registered since feb and had one parent who really messed me about and made me feel totally inadequate. I always did loads with her daughter and took her on nice trips and she turned around and said that her daughter didn't want to come. She gave up her job because her daughter (6yrs) 'couldn't handle' coming to me 9-3 5 days a week and would rather be at home with her (well duh). She would constantly email, text and call me also.

You've most likely done absolutely nothing wrong. There is just no pleasing people no matter what you do. I've had parents visit me and said my house is too clean for them and would I please put their child in a pen so she doesn't rip my tv off the wall?! (A one yr old!)

vici1979
05-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Please try not to worry. Some parents are never happy no matter what you do.

I have them odd times if i can. She once asked me how long her daughter's poo was?????:laughing:

I guess that is why it is a good idea to have a settling in period

That is hilarious!! Maybe I should create a section in my daily diary for that?!?!? crazy.

I've just had a response from the mum and she said it was personal reasons and nothing I had done. That obviously makes me feel a lot better ( I won't throw the towel in now :)) I still don't get how they think they can just pull him out like that though when they've signed a contract stating 4 weeks written notice. I have told her I sent her an email with the details on, wonder what will happen now. I am actually happier to not have their child as I did think they would be picking holes in me. All of my other parents are really nice and have all paid up front so that's fine.

Oh well, you live and learn!