PDA

View Full Version : Quick bit of advice please re potenial client wanting URN

EmmaReed84
04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I have a potential new client coming to visit tomorrow and she has asked for my URN so she can view my Ofsted report before she arrives. I always worry about giving this out, but this seems like a genuine request... Would you give it?

Stapleton83
04-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes I would give it there is not a deal they can do with it ... well I don't think so. I have been asked for mine before now.

Sam x

EmmaReed84
04-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes I would give it there is not a deal they can do with it ... well I don't think so. I have been asked for mine before now.

Sam x

I just worry as I was always told never to give URN until a parent has signed up as they can use the URN to claim tax credits fraudulently.

sprinkles
04-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Can they not use it to claim tax credits? If they don't go with you I would maybe ring tax credits to make them aware you gave out your registration number to them but they are not getting care from you.

Simona
04-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Your URN leads a parent to view your recent Ofsted inspection...why not?
I always ask parents to read it so they get an idea of what my practice is about... it is not difficult to find it, some parents would rather ask than search for it themselves

Samantha_j41
04-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Im from scotland but i was told not to give it out until contracts signed. On scswis u can search by name or postcode is ofstead the same?

rickysmiths
04-09-2013, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't give it I would tell them I have a copy they may read at my house and the copy I have has the URN blocked out.

EmmaReed84
04-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't give it I would tell them I have a copy they may read at my house and the copy I have has the URN blocked out.

I would have done this anyway as my report is in my portfolio but Parent said she wanted to read through it before tomorrow so she can ask questions about it.

My biggest concern actually is it was my first ever inspection and it clearly says I had put children at risk by not getting permission to seek medical emergency treatment signed. I was new to all this and really nervous. Mrs O said I would have been "good" if I had it signed. The following month I was going through some paper work and saw on the NCMA child record form that in actual fact IT WAS SIGNED! But there was nothing I could do about it.

sprinkles
04-09-2013, 09:36 PM
My biggest concern actually is it was my first ever inspection and it clearly says I had put children at risk by not getting permission to seek medical emergency treatment signed. I was new to all this and really nervous. Mrs O said I would have been "good" if I had it signed. The following month I was going through some paper work and saw on the NCMA child record form that in actual fact IT WAS SIGNED! But there was nothing I could do about it.

I just realised I don't have a permission form for this even though it states in my policy I must have written permission to allow me to seek medical treatment, whoops! Just jumped out of bed and made one up lol

clareelizabeth1
04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
I would have done this anyway as my report is in my portfolio but Parent said she wanted to read through it before tomorrow so she can ask questions about it.

My inspector said you have to have a separate one as the one on the NCMA record for was not good enough.

shortstuff
05-09-2013, 05:14 AM
My inspector said you have to have a separate one as the one on the NCMA record for was not good enough.

Why would it not be good enough? Signed permission is just that.

Maybe this is another example you should forward to Sarah for her list x

lilac_dragon
05-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Not good enough? Signed permission is signed permission.
I agree about letting Sarah know, but you should also let NCMA/Pacey know as well!

CLL
05-09-2013, 06:08 AM
I have signed permission forms but was told it was not necessary as children get treated anyway. Permission or not they treat a child regardless so form is a waste of time.

blue bear
05-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Emma I save my report on my computer, blank out the urn and e mail it to parents.

CH1957
05-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Anyone can go onto the Ofsted website and put in your name and address and read your Inspection report anyway which will have your URN on it, cant see a problem with that myself. :)

FussyElmo
05-09-2013, 07:05 AM
I would email the link. Yes a dishonest person could use your number to claim childcare costs but its them who it comes back on not you.

I consider all people honest till they prove me otherwise :D

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2013, 07:33 AM
I have signed permission forms but was told it was not necessary as children get treated anyway. Permission or not they treat a child regardless so form is a waste of time.

You have to have permission to take them to be seen

rickysmiths
05-09-2013, 07:41 AM
I just realised I don't have a permission form for this even though it states in my policy I must have written permission to allow me to seek medical treatment, whoops! Just jumped out of bed and made one up lol

Sprinkles you don't need this permission under the new EYFS. It was a pointless permission anyway because would you take on a parent who refused to sign it? Would you ever hesitate but to seek medical help for a child in your care if the needed it? You wouldn't be doing your job if you didn't. You can't even with a signed bit of paper give any consents once a child is in a doctor's care or the hospitals care anyway because they will take over and do what they think is best for the child. All they will take from us is any cultural needs.

rickysmiths
05-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Anyone can go onto the Ofsted website and put in your name and address and read your Inspection report anyway which will have your URN on it, cant see a problem with that myself. :)

Only if you have given your permission for Ofsted to publish your name and address. I haven't as I think it is a serious safeguarding issue publishing childminders names and addresses when we usually work alone in our homes with other peoples children. It is asking for trouble if you ask me.

rickysmiths
05-09-2013, 07:46 AM
You have to have permission to take them to be seen

Debbie on this one I have to disagree with you. The doctor or hospital will treat a child who needs treating. No parent can actually transfer their permissions to us anyway which is why Ofsted/DfE saw sense and removed the need for written permission in the new EYFS.

EmmaReed84
05-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Debbie on this one I have to disagree with you. The doctor or hospital will treat a child who needs treating. No parent can actually transfer their permissions to us anyway which is why Ofsted/DfE saw sense and removed the need for written permission in the new EYFS.

This is what DO and I debated. It was ridiculous, what sort of parent would NOT give permission to treat a child. If a child got knocked over by a car you would not say "Oh I have not got permission to call 999, so leave the child there until I call Mum and check it is OK!" we actually had a giggle about it. But what we also agreed was, that parents can take action after events happen. So if he do have the permission signed we are covered regardless.

Working in a management in a previous life, my motto was CYA... Cover Your Ass

Oh and P.S.
I gave parent URN to look at my report, I also read it again myself. Parent confirmed she is coming this morning so at least it hasn't put her off LOL!! :clapping:

sprinkles
05-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Sprinkles you don't need this permission under the new EYFS. It was a pointless permission anyway because would you take on a parent who refused to sign it? Would you ever hesitate but to seek medical help for a child in your care if the needed it? You wouldn't be doing your job if you didn't. You can't even with a signed bit of paper give any consents once a child is in a doctor's care or the hospitals care anyway because they will take over and do what they think is best for the child. All they will take from us is any cultural needs.

I'm in Scotland so not sure if it's different? I've done it anyway as my emergency policy states that I must have written permission from parents. It only takes 2 seconds to sign it so once it's done it's done and at least I can say I did it :D

Simona
05-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Our URN is not a secret...in fact it is a very public piece of information...there is absolutely no way any cm can block it!
Even the FIS can put it under your details for parents to see
It can be found just by typing your postcode on the Ofsted website

usually parents ask to see our inspection report...if they ask for the URN ..that may ring alarm bells
If you have concerns a parent may use it for claiming Tax Credits get advice and report it...things are very different now from the past with Universal benefits.

I am sure it is what people use to make anonymous complaints against us
Having said all that ...cms used to be protected by Ofsted when the report only showed few details...then cms complained and now we can have all our details published if we choose.

We are a very public society...we can be traced every time we use our mobile...we have website and use social media that is very public ...what is the point of worrying about a URN that is public property anyway....that is what we are under Ofsted regulation unfortunately: public property and very open to be misused!

Jiorjiina
05-09-2013, 12:29 PM
On the whole emergency treatment permission thing, I have an a5 folder with a signed permission form from parents, and a child information sheet (name, photo, parents contact details, etc) and a medical permission slip, including things like childs GP and any medical issues, as well as permission for emergency treatment. It stays in my changing bag and goes with us on outings.

That way if I ever get asked if I have parents permission for anything at short notice, I can pull that out and prove that I do.