PDA

View Full Version : Need to toughen up

Tinkerbell1979
03-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I've only been minding 11 months but for the past 3 months my mindee has bed coming for breakfast. I said she has to be here 8am latest as I have to drive to school, park up and walk. I like to be strapping kids in car by 8.15 leaving 8.20 (school starts 8.55). Dad always arrived 8.05/8.10 and I've been late to school more often than I like (previously NEVER late) - these are my own school aged children. How go I man up and not feel guilty or let it ****** up my plans for the morning to say breakfast finishes being served at 8.05am - eeeek

smurfette
03-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I've only been minding 11 months but for the past 3 months my mindee has bed coming for breakfast. I said she has to be here 8am latest as I have to drive to school, park up and walk. I like to be strapping kids in car by 8.15 leaving 8.20 (school starts 8.55). Dad always arrived 8.05/8.10 and I've been late to school more often than I like (previously NEVER late) - these are my own school aged children. How go I man up and not feel guilty or let it ****** up my plans for the morning to say breakfast finishes being served at 8.05am - eeeek

Can u do a letter for 'all parents' reminding them and just give it to them? Or can you give Lo something in car to keep going like a pot of Cheerios and proper breakfast when back?

Tealady
03-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Start of the new school year so great oppurtunity to write and remind all parents that if children are not here by 8am they will not get breakfast. Explain how it throws your morning out and that it isn't fair on other children to then be rushing around or getting late marks at school.

You have to decide if late arrival means no breakfast or something when you get back and put that in.

natalieatk
03-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Iv just sent a letter out yesterday explaining what time I leave for school and if there unable to arrive before then to either meet at school or wait til I'm home,.sick of being late waiting on the drive for parents to arrive
Also explaining I don't provide breakfast but parents may send it if arriving before 8am
Parent came today with breakfast at 8;30!! Grrr

QualityCare
03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Agree with others start as you mean to go on remind all parents that children must be with you for 8.00am if they require breakfast otherwise they must have it at home you will be leaving for the school run at 8.15 and will not wait as it is unfair for children to be late, if parents are running late they must let you know at 8.00 and you will be back from the school at xxx time, under no circumstances will you wait. (parents are always 2mins away yet 10mins later you are still waiting).

scottishlass
03-09-2013, 01:35 PM
I used to have this with a little one who was due to start at 8am each morning. I would say you must be here by 8.30 or wait till I come back at 9am. This was to take my own children to school. I would always have to end up phoning to see if on their way as we would wait and they wouldn't turn up!! I ended up just going at our normal time and would come back to them on the doorstep - in the end I have notice as so unreliable at turning up and paying!! Xx

AliceK
03-09-2013, 01:37 PM
All my parents know what time I leave for school and they also know that I will NOT wait, under any circumstances. I've had parents waiting on my doorstep when I've got back as they have been late arriving and I have gone. As for breakfast, my rule is that they need to be at my door by 8am if they want breakfast. One parent is very often late, arrives at 8.10 / 8.15, I have then given them some fruit / cereal bar to eat on the walk to school.

Xxxx

Edited to say the above is for school age children. My LO's usually have their breakfast when we get back from school as some of them don't arrive until literally just as we are getting shoes on to go so they are literally chucked in the buggy and out the door and then fed when we come back from the school run.

xx

Tinkerbell1979
03-09-2013, 01:54 PM
I only have two mindees and one is always on time.

I've put in diary which they read religiously:

Polite Reminder:

Children go back to school on Thursday, will be leaving for school run at 8.15am, breakfast is at 8am.

Sound ok?

jillplum
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
I leave bang on time and all parents know that. With your breakfast issue, if its a school child I would ask parent to send them with a cereal bar to eat on the way. If its a lo I would tell parent you will give them some cereal when you get back or they can send a cereal bar or something if you go straight to a group after school run. Just tell it like it is lol

Tinkerbell1979
03-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I leave bang on time and all parents know that. With your breakfast issue, if its a school child I would ask parent to send them with a cereal bar to eat on the way. If its a lo I would tell parent you will give them some cereal when you get back or they can send a cereal bar or something if you go straight to a group after school run. Just tell it like it is lol

I know, I know....too soft for my own good lol. Thanks for spurring me on x

Goatgirl
03-09-2013, 06:22 PM
I only have two mindees and one is always on time.

I've put in diary which they read religiously:

Polite Reminder:

Children go back to school on Thursday, will be leaving for school run at 8.15am, breakfast is at 8am.

Sound ok?

It's good: I like the straightforward friendly, polite tone :thumbsup:.

You just need to give them the info about what will be happening where children arrive late for breakfast ;).

I'd maybe offer a breakfasty type snack bar to eat on the way or give breakfast after school run for very little ones, though not if that was going to mess our days up....

or If you want to say 'No breakfast to children arriving after 8am', just say it :thumbsup: I'd maybe rephrase to say something like 'to avoid children arriving late for school, we will be leaving at 8.15 sharp. If your child requires breakfast please arrive before 8am as that is the latest I will be serving/providing it...'. and a thank you at the end.

Good luck :)