PDA

View Full Version : Table

charlottenash
03-09-2013, 07:29 AM
What is your 'get up from the table' routine. I have one slow eater, who is also often late for breakfast. Once he arrives, washes hands and sits down, my DS and 16mo mindee have finished. I let them get down, because they would be bored silly sitting at the table but then I find the late arrival takes a lot of convincing to eat.

Roseolivia
03-09-2013, 07:50 AM
My bigger ones usually leave the table before the little ones. I don't like doing it that way but they get bored and start being silly so it's easier. I may change this though.

karen m
03-09-2013, 08:02 AM
All my stay at the table till everyone has finished, have had slow eaters in the past and find that the others try to get them to eat a bit faster

clareelizabeth1
03-09-2013, 08:15 AM
My kitchen is kind of odd and off our house down a hallway. So all children have to come into the kitchen at the same time and leave together as I couldn't keep an eye on them if they didn't.

sing-low
03-09-2013, 08:17 AM
I get children who have finished first to wait just a little bit for the others but not for very long. I think it's good to teach them that sometimes we have to wait and that meals are a sociable time but I also don't think it's fair to make children who have finished wait for ages. I increase waiting times as they get older (and better able to sit still and have a conversation!).

hectors house
03-09-2013, 08:31 AM
How about clearing the older childrens places and letting them do colouring or read books, puzzles etc still sitting at table while the slow or younger children are finishing - may encourage the slower one to hurry up so he can join in.
Or just tell the mum what time you are serving breakfast - if he can't arrive on time, he will have to eat at home first!

mama2three
03-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Mine generally wait for the others to finish - within reason.
if I have one who is being especially slow I give warning that if they don't speed up they may find themselves sitting alone ...then let the others get down.
Peer pressure is usually enough to speed them up though , its not often I have to leave 1 sitting alone!

kellyskidz!
03-09-2013, 10:22 AM
I try to get them to wait because I think it's good manners. We wouldn't get up in a restaurant when we've finished and wander off while our husbands or friends are still eating lol
Having said that though they don't do this at school, once finished they go out to play so I'm not really strict with it
I'll ask can you wait until x has finished, then if x is taking forever they go off to play.
They usually finish their meals at the same time (or roughly) or wait for others because I don't like giving one a dessert as it makes the others want theirs straight away so they don't finish a meal they would have otherwise.
Depends on each individual and what works in your home xx

fionamadcat
03-09-2013, 12:20 PM
We wait till everyone is finished and they have to ask politely to leave the table. Although I have 1 fussy eater who will sit and look at his plate for ages before even starting so I do sometimes relax this if he is in this mood.

natalieatk
03-09-2013, 01:07 PM
[
Or just tell the mum what time you are serving breakfast - if he can't arrive on time, he will have to eat at home first![/QUOTE]

Totally agree if they can't arrive on time then why serve breakfast to him...
Mine all usually sit and wait but if one child is generally messing on and won't eat the other leave the table first,
I don't provide breakfast but parents can send it of arrive before 8am I have 1 parent turn up at 8:30 with breakfast, I simply explain I can't do breakfast now it's school run time...parent has had enough time feed child at home,

ziggy
03-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I allow mine to get down and go into playroom. I find it hurries the slower ones up as they want to join in the fun rather than sit at table alone.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Breakfast is different to my other meals when everyone stays at the table until finsihed but at breakfast I let them get down. I now resort to my microwave timer and set it at 20 mins, once it goes off the table is cleared.

charlottenash
03-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I am stealing the microwave timer idea!

Greengrass74
03-09-2013, 06:21 PM
When they finish their dinner they go into the playroom and sit quietly with a book. The older ones will read to the younger ones. This works really well for us and they all sit and read until everyone has finished and we have cleared the table.
We have always done this so we have no problems and we don't even have to ask them they just ask to leave the table and automatically go into the toy room and get a book.

The joys of routine :thumbsup: