PDA

View Full Version : School run

kim_m
02-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum so hope this is the right place. I have a new child starting on Monday which means I will have 2 babies under 6 months old, a 3 year old and a 4 year old. The 4 year old is my child (along with the 5month old), when I take him to school I have to go in his classroom and do an activity sheet with him. My question is I'm not allowed to take a pram into the classroom, any ideas how I could get the 2 babies in easily? I'd thought of one in a baby carrier and carry the other, but they are both fidgets. Wondered if anyone had any suggestions

Thanks x

Rick
02-09-2013, 07:57 PM
First question I have to ask is....how have you come to having 2 children under 1 year old as the EYFS states only one is allowed unless continuity of care if you have your own child after having the minded child

jackie 7
02-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Sorry that was what I thought. Is your child at full tome school not nursery? Hope so of else you have 4 under 4.

hectors house
02-09-2013, 09:32 PM
First question I have to ask is....how have you come to having 2 children under 1 year old as the EYFS states only one is allowed unless continuity of care if you have your own child after having the minded child

Or it could be the baby sibling of the 3 year old.

Sorry don't know how you can get 2 babies into the classroom - can you not ask the school if they can make an exception to their "no buggies" rule? - then you could have one in a sling and one in single buggy. Surely they can understand how important it is for your son that you take part in the activity like other parents. But I guess that new reception children dropped off by childminders wouldn't have anyone to do this task with them - so sometimes you unfortunately have to decide if you are a childminder or a parent.

Jiorjiina
03-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Is the worksheet a thing to help him settle in? Couldn't you just sit on the chair closest to the door, with the buggy right outside? If they're that tiny they're hardly going to be struggling to get out, so as long as you can see them to keep an eye on them, and reach them quickly if you need to, I don't think it should be a problem.

Though I was wondering how you were allowed two such tiny babies at the same time too.

kim_m
03-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. It is the 3 year olds brother so is continuity to care, I checked with my Esco to make sure I had understood right and she said it was ok. I did ask the head teacher to make an exception and she said it was ok to come through a different entrance and leave the buggy in the corridor where I could see it, as long as the foundation manager agreed, but her answer was ' leave the children outside like everyone else'. Ill not be doing that any time soon, it only takes a second for someone to wheel them off in my opinion.

sarah707
03-09-2013, 06:45 AM
I went to see the head of our local school because when collecting a child I would have had to either carry 2 non walkers through the classroom quite a way or leave them outside which I was NOT prepared to do.

The head was very accommodating and we arranged it so that I waited until last and the child was brought to me by the TA.

I would suggest you speak to the teachers again and if they can't help go higher up until you talk to someone who can.

Hth :D

vals
03-09-2013, 06:46 AM
on my school run some parents go into school in the morning, as a minder I am lucky in that other minders are there too, so if one of us needs to go into the school, we ask another to keep an eye on the buggy. Interestingly, a lot of parents just leave the babies in a buggy outside while they go in. It always shocks me, but there is always several there. I could never do that.

kim_m
03-09-2013, 10:40 AM
The child minders in my area leave babies in buggies too, I am not prepared to do. I think it is silly there is no way of doing it. Have just ordered a new baby carrier and car seat adapters so my best option as of yet is to have one in carrier and one in carseat on pram base with the older ones holding the side to cross the main road, then chip the baby in seat off and carry it inside ..thanks everyone for your help and any more ideas are welcomed x

fionamadcat
03-09-2013, 12:14 PM
I have had this recently with my mindee who has just started school, luckily there are another 4 childminders in same situation so we take it in turns to go into class and wait outside with little ones. Although it was made clear to the deputy head that we were not happy about it.

dette
03-09-2013, 12:50 PM
ive had this problem for years .we have to go down a corridor quite a distance and then into class to do work,i have one DS going into yr1 and one DS going into YR2 and for years ive struggled with a baby and toddler into classrooms with either my own or mindees .I find a sling for the toddler and a carseat for the baby with the rest on reigns works best.but OMG the car seat gets so heavy after a few minutes .I have a 15mnth old very heavy non walker and a 6 month old baby and a 2 yr old on reigns. Strict no prams allowed policy.very tempted to put my 2DS into morning club this year at £1 each so I can deliver them to the front door of the school where prams are allowed and the teachers take them to their classrooms.this will mean I cant do work with them but I cant see an option. I don't think my back will take much more