PDA

View Full Version : story book featuring junk modelling?

loocyloo
02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
hello! hope someone can help!

i'm running a session of the local childminders group in a few weeks and we're going to be doing junk modelling. I like to have a story to fit the theme/activity.

I've got 'whatever next' by jill murphy where bear makes a box into a rocket, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any other stories that feature junk modelling either as part of the actual story, or just in the illustrations? there is a kids programme on tv that uses junk to make people etc but I have no idea what its called! and I doubt they have story books!

thanks x

mama2three
02-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Ive got one somewhere , I think its called jack in the box - all the siblings / grandparents / parents are playing with his birthday presents an d he has great fun in the boxes.

loocyloo
02-09-2013, 08:15 PM
thank you.

just found it on amazon :)

also found a book called ''its not junk its resources'' :laughing: think I need it as a poster to show DH!!! thing is, I look at all these books of 'ideas' and they very rarely have anything 'new' in them! ( I've been playing with junk for 25 yrs! )

Mrs Scrubbit
02-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Tv program is called Mister Maker,not sure about any linked books,hth xx

loocyloo
02-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Tv program is called Mister Maker,not sure about any linked books,hth xx

thanks, mister maker just do craft kits etc

just found a link to 'bottle top bill' ... that's who I've seen! but only DVDS! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bottle-Top-Bill-Day-Sea/dp/B0080KYD64/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1378155403&sr=1-1&keywords=bottle+top+bill mindee used to love it a while back and brought the dvd to share with us!

miffy
02-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I found one bottle top bill book on ebay but its in Australia!

Kevin Nemeth BOTTLE TOP BILL & HIS BEST FRIEND CORKY - THE JUNKOSAUR | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kevin-Nemeth-BOTTLE-TOP-BILL-HIS-BEST-FRIEND-CORKY-THE-JUNKOSAUR-/111053494215?pt=AU_Books_Childrens_New&hash=item19db4dd7c7)

Miffy xx

Jiorjiina
03-09-2013, 12:55 AM
5 replies to this and no one has mentioned The Wombles (http://www.thewomblesbooks.com/) yet?! This is a sad day for humanity. :ohdear:

I hear that they make good use of the things that they find. The things that the everyday folk leave behind.

jadavi
03-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Haha I agree about the lovely wombles.

At the very least you could down load the song and sing it to them - its a lovely sing about recycling.

Am SO jealous of this childminding group you have with these kind of activities.
We have nothing like that round here at all.

loocyloo
03-09-2013, 06:31 AM
oh wow! how could I not remember the wombles? I LOVE the wombles!

jadavi ... the childminders group I go to is held at the local childrens centre. it used to be every other week, and now is just once a month, and the DO comes along as well. there are about 15 childminders in a 10/15 mile radius, but it is usually just me and one other minder, sometimes a couple more! its very demoralising that the others don't come - some meet up in their village and no reason given by the others! :( i'm an accrediated childminder and part of the deal was/is that I also help support local minders and the main way is to take responsibility for the group.

mama2three
03-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Just found the book , its called jack in a box , by Julia Jarman.

Our junk box pile is resembling a robot after yesterdays inset day , had to 'call time' when they couldn't decide whether to paint it or cover it in foil! ( 5 schoolies , if they haven't decided this morning its going to the vote..theyve even worked out how to do the polling!!)Hope they go for paint , so much cheaper!!
My only gripe with junk modelling 'en-masse' is how long I have to have a giant robot in the middle of my lounge before they don't complain about it disappearing back into the junk box! At least I can send individual ones home.

loocyloo
03-09-2013, 07:45 AM
I too had a giant robot in the middle of the conservatory, and a very large tank for about a month!

I love them all working together, but I like individual models they can take home!