PDA

View Full Version : Decision made, now how and when to give notice?

Katiekoo
02-09-2013, 09:27 AM
I need some help, you may have seen my other thread, I've decided to give up minding and make use of my other skills (think I forgot I had any!). It's a very exciting change, but I'm nervous.

SO ... How can I make this change without causing big disruption, loosing my mindees too soon, and without letting families down too much? I want to give as much notice as possible and make the transition to any new settings gradual, but risk loosing income in between work. I'm aiming to finish at about the start of December. When should I give notice?

blue bear
02-09-2013, 11:46 AM
If you are on warned about loosing income then it has to be the notice as per your contract,any earlier then parents naturally will move earlier as they are not going to chance missing out on spaces at the first choice.

maryp0ppins
02-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm moving on too, I have been looking & applying to jobs (no luck at present) but like you not mentioned it to anybody within my childcare setting.
This sounds awful but they are fine to give me my 4 weeks notice & ask if there's any get out early chances so I'm going to wait till I get offered a job then give them all 4 weeks notice!!
I'd love to tell some parents early but I know it may leek & don't want to risk the others leaving until I know I've got a new job in the bag.

Good luck xxx

Katiekoo
02-09-2013, 01:42 PM
I have kind of kept parents aware that I was considering a change, I was offered the chance to have a taster at freelancing recently and all the families let me have a couple of days off to go. But I haven't said anything about having made a decision and I love them all so much, I can't bring myself to do it. I have a lot of worries about ending a business I've worked so hard to set up too, it's such fun and even though I have days when I struggle I will miss it (and the regular income).

I'm considering keeping one family on, they're friends of ours and it works really well, they send their little baby for one full day a week and the older sibling after school the same day (Would need to stay registered).

The other mindees attend different preschools a couple of mornings a week and may be able to increase this, probably not enough to cover all the hours they come to me though. :( Also I have been asked by two parents to care for their new babies next year, I haven't committed to anything but feel like I'm letting them down.

I'm dreading it. I have a former cm friend I might ask for some support to help get through this.

sarah707
02-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Why not plan it for a natural holiday such as the 2 weeks at Christmas? The children could do their settling in the week before the holiday then start afresh in their new settings in January... or is that too late in the year for you? xx

Katiekoo
02-09-2013, 02:27 PM
That's a really good idea, I was only going to take a few days over Christmas but actually it's a good time to do it anyway, I'm hoping to pick up some shifts at Christmas.

Katiekoo
04-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Told one set of parents today and it went really well, they were so lovely, phew. Thanks Sarah you're suggestion about finishing at Christmas suits them well, and they were keen to keep lo with me until then. :)

The Juggler
04-09-2013, 08:35 PM
what are you going to do Katiekoo?

Katiekoo
05-09-2013, 09:35 AM
It's totally unrelated to childcare, even though I got my level 3 recently! I'm hoping to do freelance editing in London, it's a bit exciting! I've done a couple of shadow shifts recently and just need to get my speed up! I'm very nervous but excited too!