PDA

View Full Version : New CM need help!

mysuri
31-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Can anyone offer any advice on fees/holidays/retainers/deposits? I'm very nervous as got one child starting in a few weeks and meeting parents next week to have a chat.. She is only doing a one day - a nursery pick up at 11.30-5.30 so have quoted her £30- my area is full day rate £35-£40 and the Average cost per hour is £4.. Is it better to do per hour- I want to charge £4.75 as provide organic homemade meals.. But then y do some cm charge hourly rate and a day rate? Is it better to be either or? Sorry if its bit confusing I'm going around in circles!! X

Any good tips for contract?? X

sarah707
31-08-2013, 03:17 PM
I charge an hourly and daily rate - I do this because I want to be flexible for parents. I don't mind doing a few hours if the child fits into my daily routine - it's a good way to pick up extra work which might lead to something more permanent in the future as well.

I include meals in my charges - but it's up to you how you cost that one :D

WibbleWobble
31-08-2013, 03:21 PM
i only do an hourly rate (£4)

My mantra is "if i have a space i have a place" with regards to flexibility. Parents have their "core" hours which are contracted with the opportunity to use any free spaces i might have.

I include all meals but not nappies etc.

I have term time only contracts which dont have any retainer for holidays (i just cant bring myself to charge - i know i am stupid. But it means i am very much loved and cherished, they all know they are on a good deal with me). I charge for the childs absence but not for mine.

wibble xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
31-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I do mostly set rates but these are flexible and are roughly around £4 per hour but I do a minimum daily rate and a minimum number of hours - I don't want to have to pop back to collect or drop off.

You have to look at what works for you. If you charge from 11.30 are you realistically going to get someone from 7.30-11.30 to make up the space? Is the nursery shut at any time and if so are you expected to have a place? If the answer is yes then I would be charging all day regardless of the time they use. Also you are blocking a possible full timer - work thinking about or maybe part timers will come along and fit around this one.

As to food - I have my base price and then parents have the option of paying an additional £2.50 per meal and I then calculate my rate to be £42.50 per day.

mysuri
31-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone! So Sarah.. Do you charge a set rate if they are having you all day? Then if its 3 or 4 hours per hour? The mum has said she wouldn't probably need me as she can start work later and has family help if no nursery but has asked for cost of all day in case she can't.. Because I'm new I don't want to turn any business away! She has asked what's my retainer fee and I'm unsure.. Feel rude charging someone - parent head on.. But understand I can't hold a place when others could fill it.. Thanks for all your help! Any useful info to know with regards to contracts etc? Xx

mysuri
31-08-2013, 07:02 PM
What do u mean by min amount of daily hours?? X.

karen m
31-08-2013, 09:20 PM
I charge £4 an hour, I have TT only and holiday so I therefore don't ask for a retainer as I can cover places .it is down to the individual

Samantha_j41
01-09-2013, 06:19 AM
I used to charge hourly, £3.50 when i started. Back in jan i was desperate for mindees so when mum asked for 5 days a week 8-1 i just charged hourly which was the worst mistake as it took until april to get anyone to fit around that time! (I had my own 1 year old, now 2!) so think about it, or what i now do is charge daily rate of £32, snacks included but packed lunch. X

munch149
01-09-2013, 06:30 AM
I think the benefit of a childminder is the flexibility so only charge for the hours i do. I'm probably too soft but I've never been short on work. I charge if child is off sick. But don't charge retainers or for hours the child is at nursery (unless the want me to be nurseries first point of call if a problem, then its half fees for unused hours) I do term time only contracts without charging for holidays but believe its possible to fill those spaces with holiday only children. It's got to be your choice what works and over time you may change thing ms related to your experiences

mysuri
01-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Ok thanks for your advice! I think she wants a term time only contract and will pay 1/2 fees on holidays.. Her lil one will be in school next sept anyway.. She happy with that..

If she is starting first week of oct would I ask for deposit? I'm going to do fees from day 1 of care in advance.. I was going to say 50% deposit that gets refunded on last month with me if no outstanding money.. X

jadavi
01-09-2013, 08:23 AM
I also don't ask holiday rates for term time only. This started when a peripatetic music teacher said she didn't get holiday pay and would have to go elsewhere. I decided it wasn't fair to have different rules for different people so dropped it.
I will ask for half of September in advance though if I worry about losing people through the summer holiday.

Kiddleywinks
01-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Also bear in mind if you do decide to charge a retainer, parent can use that space in the holidays (paying any top up fees due of course) so you would be unable to take on another child on the retainer days.

To get around that, I charge a higher rate for term time only children so I'm able to take on a holiday only child

mysuri
01-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Ok, maybe il do the contract till the end of July.. And say if u want my care during summer holidays then full day rate applies and only if I have spaces I can take u x

Chatterbox Childcare
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Ok, maybe il do the contract till the end of July.. And say if u want my care during summer holidays then full day rate applies and only if I have spaces I can take u x

I would take it until the end of the holidays if she is coming back. If something else comes up you can keep the retainer or offer a refund (sure mum won't mind having money back!)

flump159
01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
I just charge per hour they are with me

Can anyone offer any advice on fees/holidays/retainers/deposits? I'm very nervous as got one child starting in a few weeks and meeting parents next week to have a chat.. She is only doing a one day - a nursery pick up at 11.30-5.30 so have quoted her £30- my area is full day rate £35-£40 and the Average cost per hour is £4.. Is it better to do per hour- I want to charge £4.75 as provide organic homemade meals.. But then y do some cm charge hourly rate and a day rate? Is it better to be either or? Sorry if its bit confusing I'm going around in circles!! X

Any good tips for contract?? X

mysuri
01-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I just charge per hour they are with me

What about somebody wanting say 10-2. Would you only charge your hourly rate? It would take up an all day place and doesn't seem worth while? Xx

scottishlass
01-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi

I just charge my hourly rate too. I don't charge a retainer in the holiday if they are term time only but do charge a slightly higher hourly rate but then I am happy to be a bit quieter in the holidays xx

Chatterbox Childcare
01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
What about somebody wanting say 10-2. Would you only charge your hourly rate? It would take up an all day place and doesn't seem worth while? Xx

This is where my minimum rate of £25 would come in.

mysuri
05-09-2013, 10:16 AM
One other question.. The family who want only one day a week want to pay weekly on collection.. They are paying a 50% deposit to b kept till the end.. Do I still do in advance ? She gets paid from work weekly and would pay that day when she picks up x

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I only work with payment in advance but the decision is yours as it is your business