PDA

View Full Version : New to this, and new starters next week....

Newtochildcare
31-08-2013, 01:08 PM
I have a brother and sister starting with me next week. THe little boy is 20 months old, and the girl will be 5 later in September.

Okay, I am starting to feel pretty nervous about it all now, and doubting what I have in mind I should be doing:

So, for the first two weeks, I observe, make a note of my observations, and then provide an assessment in terms of an all about me document? Is this the best starting place? I have seen that others have highlighted the Development Matters document when the mindees meet certain things....anyone have any other suggestions?

And then, I just observe as I go, making notes of any milestones met, as they happen? Best not to 'set up' situations to focus on certain milestones? Just let things happen naturally?

Then all my observations go into a nice little folder called a learning journey, which would include photos. Then periodically, I would do further all about me documents?

Also, As the sister is starting school next week, am I right in thinking I don't actually need to do observations, and a learning journey for her as such?

God, it all seems so long since my course, and had such information overload in the last few months my brain is struggling to filter the right stuff out to put into practise!:doh:

Glitter
31-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Hi, it soulds like you know what your doing. It can be scary when you start but you will be suprised how fast it all becomes easier.

The only other thing I would do is ask parents to fill in a form about the children with information about routines, interest etc. so you have an idea of how to arrange your day with them.

Good luck!

moggy
31-08-2013, 03:01 PM
People use different names for things, 'All About Me' is sometimes the name for a form you ask parents to fill in when child starts to tell you all about the child- routines, food, likes/dislikes, naps etc etc. Nurseries sometimes do a form like this too for new starters.

I call what I write about the mindees (based on my obs) a 'Progress Review' where I put a few notes per Area of Learning saying eg "PD:child X is now doing xxxx and is trying to xxxx, support this by xxxx and xxxx" etc etc, just 2 or 3 per Area- so that is Next Steps included there too. I do that once per term. I also include notes on Characteristics of Learning.

Dev Matters is going to be changed anyway, it is said; and it is frowned upon to use as a 'tick list', or to try to 'mark off' any statements directly on it as the statements in there are just too vague and not relevant to every child. It is a rough guide to child development and nothing more. I read it and put it away. Then look I at the child and work from there! The only place I use it more directly is on a progress sheet when I look at each Aspect of each Area and check child is within the age band/stage (so 'child X/age 18mths/PD/Moving and Handling/stage 8-20mths' if they are in a stage lower than their actual age it is a sign you need to look at possible issues), this I record and shows over time the child's progress, once per term.

A really good thing to do is Starting Points- that is the same as above but as it is the first one you do (after a month or so of the child being with you, once they are settled and acting naturally with you) it is the starting point for all the progress they make with you.

And also, all the above is done WITH the parents- ask for input on a form each time you do a Progress Review (or what ever you want to call it), use their words in your assessment (" At home X is xxxx and starting to xxx" etc) as this shows Working With Parents = very important. Parent signs everything, copies to parents and keep signed copy yourself.

But don't worry too much, you will develop your own way and probably change it several times over the months/years and you work out what suits you.