PDA

View Full Version : It's so unfair

sprinkles
30-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Just needing a moan! I've only got one pre school mindee part time at the moment and can't see me getting another one any time soon :( have had school enquiries but none for pre school. Another minder in my area is currently working 50 hours, has an assistant and is always full - I just want to say to her to stop being so greedy and send some my way :laughing:

Doesn't help there's a private nursery just along the road from me. I just need to have patience but feel like I've done everything I can and I'm just doomed lol. I think it's just because I've been reading on Facebook that others in the area are now full and I ask myself why I'm not full, or even half full!!

Meh!!

Leela
31-08-2013, 02:23 AM
Hi not sure that the other childminder is being greedy. Maybe she is really good at what she is doing and that is why she is so popular. Childminding is a business at the end of the day but some childminders have well deserved excellent reputations. Dont be so sure that you won't be getting anymore business any time soon. I would also check out the competition and see what they are offering and if it is very different from yours. Also have you thought about joining a childminding group and becoming friends with other childminders in your areas. Apart from the support, they would be more likely to refer parents to you if they have no vacancies if they know you to recommend. Childminding is so competitive in some areas and things like space, pets, resources, garden, personality, access to transport and the Ofsted reports all make a difference to parents making a childminding decision. Hope you find more work soon.

Kiddleywinks
31-08-2013, 06:48 AM
What are you doing by way of advertising?
Leaflets/business cards in shops - have you checked they're still up (not unknown for them to be removed)
Schools - most have some form of community folder particularly for parents seeking childcare, have you got your details with them?
FIS - have you updated it recently? With ours, each time you update, you go to the top of the list, useful at this time of the year
childcare.co.uk - have you checked what parents are looking for in your area? If you see someone that suits, it's well worth paying to be able to message them. If you gain someone their fees more than cover the expense (there is also a member discount available in the green area so that makes it a bit cheaper)

It took me a whole year to fill my spaces, but this could change on a dime so still keep on top of my advertising

sprinkles
31-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Hi not sure that the other childminder is being greedy. Maybe she is really good at what she is doing and that is why she is so popular.

I was joking and just meant she could say she doesn't have space and not take on an assistant :D

She is very good at what she does! We don't have a childminding group here but I do know a few of the other minders in town (there are 14 of us in a pretty small town). We have a group on Facebook where we post any enquiries we can't take on so everyone has a chance instead of only certain people being recommended.

I'm in Scotland so no ofsted and I don't have any reports as not been inspected yet.

sprinkles
31-08-2013, 07:28 AM
What are you doing by way of advertising?
Leaflets/business cards in shops - have you checked they're still up (not unknown for them to be removed)
Schools - most have some form of community folder particularly for parents seeking childcare, have you got your details with them?
FIS - have you updated it recently? With ours, each time you update, you go to the top of the list, useful at this time of the year
childcare.co.uk - have you checked what parents are looking for in your area? If you see someone that suits, it's well worth paying to be able to message them. If you gain someone their fees more than cover the expense (there is also a member discount available in the green area so that makes it a bit cheaper)

It took me a whole year to fill my spaces, but this could change on a dime so still keep on top of my advertising

I'm on childcare.co.uk but very few local parents on there and the ones that are haven't logged in for months.

I've got flyers in shops but going to go back round this week and put more up. I've contacted the schools and they said they don't keep that information!! I'm also on Facebook, google places, yell.com etc etc so I come up when childcare in the area is googled.

I was just needing a wee moan really as it gets you down when you know other minders are full and you're not. I usually just get parents who arrange to come visit and don't hear from them again or ask for info when they don't even need care!

Zoomie
31-08-2013, 07:44 AM
I am struggling to fill my vacancies. I have lost two schoolers and one mindee will be starting FT school in sept and despite childcare.co.uk, netmums, FIS and word of mouth I have only managed to sign one mindee for a tenner a week. Going to be down over 150 a week :(

Fingers and toes crossed for all of us with vacancies to fill.

sprinkles
31-08-2013, 07:52 AM
I am struggling to fill my vacancies. I have lost two schoolers and one mindee will be starting FT school in sept and despite childcare.co.uk, netmums, FIS and word of mouth I have only managed to sign one mindee for a tenner a week. Going to be down over 150 a week :(

Fingers and toes crossed for all of us with vacancies to fill.

Fingers crossed for you!! I only have one mindee three days a week and her sister after school. Mum is doing childcare at college and thinks her placement is going to be at the local private nursery so my fear is that she's going to take little one away from me and put her there and eldest will go to after school club leaving me with none at all!

Tazmin68
31-08-2013, 07:54 AM
This time last year I was in a similar position only one child after school all five days only £40 a week. It was like that for September and October. Because I am a member of a network I had a child placed with me for 15 hours a week on a 12 week placement for ss she is still with me now under 2 year funding. Again in the November I then had a before and after school child start and then in the December I had a child come for 7 hours a day all 5 days term time only so I soon picked up. This is why I put money away in the good times t o cover the bad spells.

Deb

ziggy
31-08-2013, 08:59 AM
I hate to tempt fate with my bad luck recently lol BUT luckily I am full at the moment and turning families away:clapping:

A childminder friend of mine is desperate for work and i always mention her to families looking for care.

I also mentioned to her that maybe if she got out and about and was seen she may get more work. I'm not saying you dont! I live in a very small village and it surprised me to find out lots of locals thought mindees were my own children. I go to toddler group, jo jingles and soft play most weeks.

I find I get lots of enquiries because parents see me with mindees and know the sort of care I offer.

Hope you find work very soon, good luck x

Logan
31-08-2013, 08:59 AM
It seems really slow round me at the moment. I need the equivalent of a full timer due to losing some after school (going to secondary) & a baby due to parents change in circumstances. I had an enquiry & went to pick her up so she could look round and her husband had the car. When I took her home she said she definitely wanted to use me so we arranged to do contracts the following week after my few days away. Next day she texted me to say she was using someone else who offered a more flexible contract. I was bemused as I'd agreed to everything she'd asked for - and I could have done what the other minder offered if she'd said that was what she wanted. So so upset, I really need the money. I feel worse now than I did before the enquiry - she'd got my hopes up that things were improving & that we'd be able to manage, so the let down & stress when she changed her mind was terrible.

I love my job but I actually need the money too!

Here's hoping we all get the contracts we need soon.

singingcactus
31-08-2013, 09:06 AM
:) don't worry sprinkles, you'll get there. At least you are getting school enquiries. When you're in the playground the parents will get used to seeing your face and probably just before christmas you'll start getting enquiries that way.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

littlebears1009
31-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I dont have any yet. I had a schoolie for a few days last week for the holidays but thats it. Im away for 2 weeks in october getting marri

littlebears1009
31-08-2013, 10:02 AM
I dont have any yet. I had a schoolie for a few days last week for the holidays but thats it. Im away for 2 weeks in october getting married. Knowing my luck all the enquiries will come through then! Hope it picks up for us both soon. I too advertise on netmums, pay for childcare.co.uk, have adverts in the P.O and a magnet on my car, have a facebook page and come up on google places if you google childcare and my area. X

singingcactus
31-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Congratulations x

It'll come, don't stress too much.

Samantha_j41
31-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Ah yes i know that feeling! Back in december i had noone for over a month and felt like giving up! Then all of a sudden i had enquired from 4 children! Its the nature of the job, i have gotten to know all the local minders too so we pass on whoevers details that has a space. Get to know the other childminders esp if they are full so when they get a call they can send them straight to you! X

benandjerrys
31-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I had an enquiry last week, mum was really keen and days were perfect. Had a great convo on phone but then I let it slip I was newly registered. I thought it better go be honest. She clammed up, rushed of the phone and haven't heard from her since. I was gutted and felt as if I'd been discriminated against hahaha maybe I would want an established minder if I was looking for care. It made me feel that every parent would have that reaction.

Chatterbox Childcare
31-08-2013, 12:30 PM
My advice to anyone is advertise, network with others and don't give any details out over the phone. Get the parents to you, sell yourself and let them decide

Sprinkles if you are struggling network with the minders who are full :)

sprinkles
31-08-2013, 05:30 PM
I do speak to quite a few of the other minders in the town but as I said we have a group on Facebook where all enquiries we can't take on are posted so everyone gets the chance.

Mouse
31-08-2013, 06:07 PM
It can be so tough to get started. I can remember when i first registered I really struggled to get any work, while all the other childminders seemed to be full. It didn't help that I lived slightly further out of time than the others & there wasn't really a need for childminders in my area. If I did get any calls passed on it was the rubbish work that no one else wanted!

I just kept going to groups with my own children & made friends with the nicest childminder. I gave her a bit of a sob story about not being able to get work & she passed my name on for the next call she got! It turned out to be the start of me getting work and now I rarely have vacancies & am often turning work away.

It does take time, but stick with it and you'll get their in the end :thumbsup:

dette
31-08-2013, 07:54 PM
it'll pick up x don't worry. this time last year I had a full time mindee that moved away and another start full time school leaving me with 1 mindee and the LO at after school.!! Within a few weeks I was inundated and now I have 15 mindees ,a mixture of full, parttime ,afterschool and weekends ranging from a tiny baby to 9yr olds.Your time will come.Good advice already given .Look around at what everyone else is offering,make sure you're not overpriced,see what offers you can do.Look at what you include in the price compared to others locally.I'm probably the cheapest childminder in town even though I am the most experienced with a great reputation I could charge more but I looked at the big picture and decided I would rather be full and well thought of than charge too much and have virtually no children like some in my area.
my hivis vests have been my best advert,borrow your friends kids and dress them in hi vis ,take them everywhere you can think of and be ready to hand out your business cards x

sprinkles
31-08-2013, 08:41 PM
it'll pick up x don't worry. this time last year I had a full time mindee that moved away and another start full time school leaving me with 1 mindee and the LO at after school.!! Within a few weeks I was inundated and now I have 15 mindees ,a mixture of full, parttime ,afterschool and weekends ranging from a tiny baby to 9yr olds.Your time will come.Good advice already given .Look around at what everyone else is offering,make sure you're not overpriced,see what offers you can do.Look at what you include in the price compared to others locally.I'm probably the cheapest childminder in town even though I am the most experienced with a great reputation I could charge more but I looked at the big picture and decided I would rather be full and well thought of than charge too much and have virtually no children like some in my area.
my hivis vests have been my best advert,borrow your friends kids and dress them in hi vis ,take them everywhere you can think of and be ready to hand out your business cards x

Thank you! I just need a moan now and again lol!

I think I'm cheapest in town, I believe the best minder in town is £4ph and doesn't provide meals or snacks - I'm the same but only £3.50ph. I'm just ordering some embroidered polo shirts and a hoodie so when I'm at the school people will see I'm a childminder. Think I'm going to start taking little one I have to toddlers too as will get me out there and also give her some company her own age.

I'm going to get business cards but does anyone know anywhere else to get them except vista print? I didn't realise they were so expensive!!

karen m
31-08-2013, 09:02 PM
I must admit since I started minding 6 years ago I have always had enough children to make a good wage , I took 6 months of when I moved to Scotland but couldn't settle so came back home within 3 weeks I had a enquiry and have gone from strength to strength and now have a waiting list with 3 families on it but we all no In this job it is feast or famine

SteffiM
31-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Thank you! I just need a moan now and again lol!

I think I'm cheapest in town, I believe the best minder in town is £4ph and doesn't provide meals or snacks - I'm the same but only £3.50ph. I'm just ordering some embroidered polo shirts and a hoodie so when I'm at the school people will see I'm a childminder. Think I'm going to start taking little one I have to toddlers too as will get me out there and also give her some company her own age.

I'm going to get business cards but does anyone know anywhere else to get them except vista print? I didn't realise they were so expensive!!

If u sign up to vista print they send u quite a lot of emails with so many free business cards n leaflet things

munch149
01-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Yes in my area childminders pass on work all the time so make friends with her. I passed on too preschool children to other minders lately as couldn't do the days the wanted and people are always sending after school work my way now as I seem to be the only minder that picks up from this particular school. We also cover work for each other during holidays (am doing this next week) so could even bring just some adhoc work your way

sprinkles
01-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Yes in my area childminders pass on work all the time so make friends with her. I passed on too preschool children to other minders lately as couldn't do the days the wanted and people are always sending after school work my way now as I seem to be the only minder that picks up from this particular school. We also cover work for each other during holidays (am doing this next week) so could even bring just some adhoc work your way

We don't pass people directly to others - we have a Facebook group where we post enquiries we can't take on then pass details of all minders who have space, not just one, so that everyone gets a chance!

loocyloo
01-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Design your card on vista print, put it in your basket...leave it there. .. you'll get an email within a few days with an offer for cheaper cards! Postage is a bit though.

I recommend getting out and about and get yourself seen. Named clothing and hi viz are good. Where ever you are, chat to people and tell them what you do. Good luck x

sprinkles
01-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Design your card on vista print, put it in your basket...leave it there. .. you'll get an email within a few days with an offer for cheaper cards! Postage is a bit though.

I recommend getting out and about and get yourself seen. Named clothing and hi viz are good. Where ever you are, chat to people and tell them what you do. Good luck x

I've done that, thanks :D I don't get their 'free business cards'...they aren't free?!?!

lizduncan72
01-09-2013, 08:11 PM
I've done that, thanks :D I don't get their 'free business cards'...they aren't free?!?!

Only certain cards are free! They lure you in with the promise of free cards and then you find the ones you want aren't included!! Once you e placed one order with them though you will get loads of emails offering discounts or free stuff-I've never paid full price for anything :)

sprinkles
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Only certain cards are free! They lure you in with the promise of free cards and then you find the ones you want aren't included!! Once you e placed one order with them though you will get loads of emails offering discounts or free stuff-I've never paid full price for anything :)

I've ordered stuff from them before but nothing ever seems to be free now except flyers, and even they're not free now! I go to the free ones and choose one of the designs, add my details (not changing layout or anything) and they still try to charge me!! I don't know if it's just me but I grudge paying £14.99 for some business cards!!

loocyloo
01-09-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/free-business-cards.aspx?&GP=9%2f1%2f2013+4%3a31%3a15+PM&GPS=2942055225&GNF=1

I've just followed this link through, and as long as you chose one of the 'free' designs, don't put anything on the back, keep it matt, it seems free to me. and then cheapest postage is £3.99 for 14 days delivery.

hope this helps.

sprinkles
01-09-2013, 08:37 PM
http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/free-business-cards.aspx?&GP=9%2f1%2f2013+4%3a31%3a15+PM&GPS=2942055225&GNF=1

I've just followed this link through, and as long as you chose one of the 'free' designs, don't put anything on the back, keep it matt, it seems free to me. and then cheapest postage is £3.99 for 14 days delivery.

hope this helps.

Hmph maybe it was the design I chose? I just chose education and care from the drop down list...does this then bring up the ones that aren't free too??

loocyloo
01-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Hmph maybe it was the design I chose? I just chose education and care from the drop down list...does this then bring up the ones that aren't free too??

yep!
its their ploy to get you to spend money!!!
don't click on any drop down list, just the pages at the top.
there are only about 4 pages of free one currently! and to be honest, I couldn't really see anything apt for childminders, but I did like the owls and the purple sqwirls on white, or the stylish plain white/white with blue stripe top & bottom. ( all on first page )

you can then pay a little bit to have something or nothing on the back ( other wise they say 'vistaprint' ... but I am happy with that! ) or you can pay to have shiny cards etc, but you don't have to!

have fun

x

sprinkles
01-09-2013, 09:05 PM
yep!
its their ploy to get you to spend money!!!
don't click on any drop down list, just the pages at the top.
there are only about 4 pages of free one currently! and to be honest, I couldn't really see anything apt for childminders, but I did like the owls and the purple sqwirls on white, or the stylish plain white/white with blue stripe top & bottom. ( all on first page )

you can then pay a little bit to have something or nothing on the back ( other wise they say 'vistaprint' ... but I am happy with that! ) or you can pay to have shiny cards etc, but you don't have to!

have fun

x

Yeah I can't really see anything either! I do love owls though...not very apt for my name (Bright Beginnings) but they're so cute and I'm tempted lol. Would have had owls as my logo if I thought it would go!!

loocyloo
02-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Yeah I can't really see anything either! I do love owls though...not very apt for my name (Bright Beginnings) but they're so cute and I'm tempted lol. Would have had owls as my logo if I thought it would go!!

the only other thing I can think of it to get the plain ones and put a sticker on each one or draw on each one! :D

sprinkles
02-09-2013, 07:42 AM
the only other thing I can think of it to get the plain ones and put a sticker on each one or draw on each one! :D

Draw...you're joking, right?? Lol :D

loocyloo
02-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Draw...you're joking, right?? Lol :D

:laughing:

or get some children to decorate them for you!

sprinkles
02-09-2013, 07:50 AM
:laughing:

or get some children to decorate them for you!

Haha I only have a 2 year old so they'd be covered in scribbles! I got an email this morning saying their premium cards are now £9.99 so depending on what price this boy comes back with I may just order some.

loocyloo
02-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Haha I only have a 2 year old so they'd be covered in scribbles! I got an email this morning saying their premium cards are now £9.99 so depending on what price this boy comes back with I may just order some.

2 yr old scribbles would be great.