PDA

View Full Version : How do we compete with this?

crazybones
12-07-2008, 06:52 AM
A friend phoned me last night to tell me the local nursery is offering childcare places for the school holidays to over 8's at £13.00 per day :eek: I know they are losing kids in droves because parents are not happy with the care for the younger ones. I think they must have taken on lots of students on mimimum wage to cover holidays but even then I cant see how they can make any money?

Felt a bit down after hearing this then got a phone call from the mum of my new mindee asking if I would have her 6 year old for the school hols. :D

Pudding Girl
12-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Ah well you said it yourself, they are reacting like this as they are desperate to get people in as they are losing them cos of their care standards ;)

charleyfarley
12-07-2008, 07:22 AM
I know how you feel Annie.

Our pre school which is now a part of the local school offers a breakfast club and an after school club so most parents use them as the children are at the school anyway.

Now they have said they will be doing a holiday club at £18.00 a day:angry: and they are doing it from age 2 upwards.
They are only doing it certain weeks of the holidays though.

That's good news for the 6 year old though Annie in the hols.

Carol xx

Chell
12-07-2008, 07:32 AM
If I saw it at £13 a day I'd think that they are hardly going to offer the best for my children.

ajs
12-07-2008, 07:34 AM
to be honest annie i would not even dream of trying to compete with that price
you will always find parents who are only interested in the bottom line and then there are those who care about quality care for their child
if they are only interested in how much it costs i don't want their child, the parents would end up as nothing but trouble

you see though it's true the 6 yr olds parents obviously know quality when they see it ( when is she starting at the holiday club then)

miffy
12-07-2008, 07:35 AM
That is exactly what's happening in my village Carol - there are two schools and both are operating this system. It is really hard to compete.

I will be having my quietest summer holidays for a very long time!

Miffy xx

ajs
12-07-2008, 07:36 AM
oh good miffy seeig as i never manage to get to you for lunch you can come and see me then

miffy
12-07-2008, 07:51 AM
oh good miffy seeig as i never manage to get to you for lunch you can come and see me then

I'd love too!

Miffy xx

crazybones
12-07-2008, 08:02 AM
to be honest annie i would not even dream of trying to compete with that price
you will always find parents who are only interested in the bottom line and then there are those who care about quality care for their child
if they are only interested in how much it costs i don't want their child, the parents would end up as nothing but trouble

you see though it's true the 6 yr olds parents obviously know quality when they see it ( when is she starting at the holiday club then)

OOOOh its a bit early to start being evil madam:laughing:

Donkey
12-07-2008, 12:50 PM
i bet it doesnt include food, bet kids have to take some kind of packed lunch and drinks.
I also bet that the carer/child ratio will be maxed out.

just think of the quality care we provide over the quantity!

tulip0803
12-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Our local school is offering a holiday club at the really practical times of 10.00-2.00, 3 days a week. Not suitable for childcare just as somewhere to dump the kids for a few hours.

wendywu
12-07-2008, 05:42 PM
It would have to a very large nursery to have a large number of over 8s charging around. What is the upper age level then?:panic:

LisaH
12-07-2008, 07:55 PM
My local school offers breakfast and after school club. They have also started sending out leaflets advertising holiday clubs. Their fees are lower than mine and include daily trips out and all food!!!! Can't imagine how they can afford to run these schemes properly.

Luckily I have 3 under 5's and my over 5's/over 8's are related to them! So I should be ok for this summer at least.

breezy
12-07-2008, 08:01 PM
they must be subsidised in some way to offer those prices

Trouble
12-07-2008, 08:06 PM
we have a new soft play centre opening up,

but the other one (under8) for little ones has a package going on

snack and drink, craft session for 1 hour, plus 1 hours play for £7.00 and you can leave your child

but they forgot that they need extra staff to cover, also lots of childminders go to this one and when their quiet we keep them going and now their trying to take our trade away, so weve all decided to not go anymore to teach them a lesson, you have to be cruel to be kind.

well done for the new child

wendywu
13-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I have got some new afterschoolers starting in Sep and their parents did not like the blurb from the after schoolclub. They get a snack like beans on toast and do games. But that was about it.

Also the other compotition was the YMCA for afterschool but one lady said her house overlooks them. And the children just run riot, and other people have told me this.

So cheap is not always best.:)

ChocolateChip
13-07-2008, 03:02 PM
In my area we are getting lots of competition from leisure centres, prices from £11 a day and a sibling discount! :eek: So in theory 2 kids could go there for less than my price for 1! :censored: They have to take packed lunch and pay extra for trips, but even if they go to the dearer one which is £17 a day that is still a good price that I'd find hard to match, considering they all go swimming, do sports, crafts, games, etc.
I'm cheap round here at £3 an hour but I can't do it for much less than that and keep the bills paid. Just have to hope that the flexibility angle helps me out.
One thing though, our after school club has just closed, so my phone will probably be off the hook for before and afters once they all find out. It's a shame though as I am almost full just with my friends kids that use it, don't know what all the other parents will do.

ChocolateChip
13-07-2008, 03:07 PM
So cheap is not always best.:)[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to add, Wendywu you are so right, but sadly there are parents out there who don't really care what their kids are doing all day as long as they aren't dealing with them, and of course those genuine families where every penny really does count, who would love a better choice but just can't afford it.