PDA

View Full Version : What 7 Seater do you have?

Daisy De
30-08-2013, 02:57 PM
My beloved very very old Toyota Previa "Trev", after 13 years with me and many before that with others, has a suspected head gasket problem, which, if confirmed tomorrow, probably means the end of him :(

If this is the case, I would like another 7/8 seater and wonder whether anyone has any opinions or any more obscure ones I could look up.

In an ideal world I would like another Previa, not an imported one as they are not so roomy, because I think they are the best MPV but they are expensive to run and tax so I want to try and be practical. I have looked at Zafiras which seem to be what everyone has but when I looked at one in the flesh I could not believe how crapped and ugly it was, no offense intended to Zafira owners but I know after Trev the Prev they would drive me insane. Chrysler Voyageurs were also suggested but I remember reading they perform very badly in safety tests.

I'm not good at following the crowd :blush: so wondered if anyone had any more obscure 7+ seaters I could look up? I also have two big dogs and various buggys/pushchairs to fit in. Money is a problem as always so can't afford anything too flash just want to know whats about, although in an ideal world Trev will live to fight another day. :D

Tazmin68
30-08-2013, 03:33 PM
How about the Hyundai i800 is is an 8 seater. I drove a mercedes viano for a short time and the Hyundai is very similar and a lot cheaper. I have a zaf and very happy with it. The Hyundai sante fee is even smaller when all z7 seats are in use.

The Peugeot 5008 has more space in back when all 7 seats are up.

tulip0803
30-08-2013, 03:38 PM
In an ideal world I would like another Previa, not an imported one as they are not so roomy, because I think they are the best MPV but they are expensive to run and tax so I want to try and be practical. I have looked at Zafiras which seem to be what everyone has but when I looked at one in the flesh I could not believe how crapped and ugly it was, no offense intended to Zafira owners but I know after Trev the Prev they would drive me insane. Chrysler Voyageurs were also suggested but I remember reading they perform very badly in safety tests.

As a zafira driver I agree with this whole heartedly!!!!! I keep banging my head! I WANTED a Renault Grand Espace (stamp feet). DH knew what I wanted but I trusted him to replace my old Galaxy without my help and I got a Zafira!:mad::panic:. I know lots of people love them - two of my minder friends would never have anything else but you would definitely be disappointed in it.

Ds has now said that the newer Galaxy (2006+) is really good. BUT I am now stuck with my zafira until I save the money to get what I want:(

Another minder is getting a VW shuttle which has 9 seats

Daisy De
30-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks Tazmin68, I will have a look at those.

Maybe I'm being unfair to Zafira owners, I have never driven one. What are they like to drive and how are they on running costs and petrol/diesel? I do need to be realistic and practical and realise when you have had a good car you get rather hung up on that particular make, I need to be more open minded maybe :D
Unfortunately my rebellious side wants to be different from the crowd which causes problems :laughing:

Daisy De
30-08-2013, 03:50 PM
As a zafira driver I agree with this whole heartedly!!!!! I keep banging my head! I WANTED a Renault Grand Espace (stamp feet). DH knew what I wanted but I trusted him to replace my old Galaxy without my help and I got a Zafira!:mad::panic:. I know lots of people love them - two of my minder friends would never have anything else but you would definitely be disppointed in it.

Ds has now said that the newer Galaxy (2006+) is really good. BUT I am now stuck with my zafira until I save the money to get what I want:(

I think you are probably right Tulip0803, if you have had one of the bigger ones, Previa, Grand Espace etc any of the newer, smaller 7 seaters seem very strange, I don't want to spend money then wish I had gone with my heart not my head :panic:

Pixie dust
30-08-2013, 03:55 PM
I have a puegeot 5008 which I love..not a great amount of room when all 7 seats are up to be honest, bit of a squeeze to get my pushchair in but we mainly use 6 seats and have 1 down which frees up some room. I like driving it as it feels like a 'normal' car we used to have an old style galaxy which I hated it felt too big.

Becci26
30-08-2013, 03:59 PM
I have a vw caravelle (t4 version) and love it!

It has 8 seats, and loads of boot space, drives well and pretty economic, would def replace with another one! :-)

funemnx
30-08-2013, 04:14 PM
I really wanted a Caravelle or Hyundai i800 but finances forbade it - I got a Citreon C8 (2005) which has 8 seats (some have 7) cheap to insure and a huge diesel tank which does about 37 mpg - plenty of boot space and seats are all 3 point belts and full size seats (except the middle back one which is a bit narrower). Keep my double and single buggy in the boot and plenty of room for all the bags as well. Electric sliding doors, auto wipers and lights, air con, the works :thumbsup:

Sarsar3NCH
30-08-2013, 04:23 PM
As a zafira driver I agree with this whole heartedly!!!!! I keep banging my head! I WANTED a Renault Grand Espace (stamp feet). DH knew what I wanted but I trusted him to replace my old Galaxy without my help and I got a Zafira!:mad::panic:. I know lots of people love them - two of my minder friends would never have anything else but you would definitely be disappointed in it.

Has you friend looked into insurance for a 9 seater? I had one a few years back and didn't look into the ins first, anything with 8 or more passenger seats has to be insured as hire and reward and back in 2008 cost £900-£1000 a year!

SYLVIA
30-08-2013, 05:40 PM
I had an espace before I got my Zafira. It is smaller inside and a bit of a pain getting kids in and out but I love mine.
I like the way I can fold all the seats down but they are still in the car for when I ned them. When I'm not working it's usually me and my DP so I don't feel I'm pulling a big empty car about

tulip0803
30-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Has you friend looked into insurance for a 9 seater? I had one a few years back and didn't look into the ins first, anything with 8 or more passenger seats has to be insured as hire and reward and back in 2008 cost £900-£1000 a year!

I told her to check & to check that her licence allows her to drive it as she is young and on new type licence. I haven't seen her since the start of the hols and she has just gone on maternity so I haven't found out how she got on.

dominiquegait
30-08-2013, 06:22 PM
I have a Peugeot 5008 love it, easy to get in and out. Back seats good for little ones. Had a very funny trip last week when DH sat in back and hit his head every time I went over a speed bump. He he

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

Npg1
30-08-2013, 08:55 PM
I have a hyundai sante fe, really like it but when rear seats are up it doesnt leave much book space!

littletreasures
30-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I have a Grand Espace. The grand bit gives you about another foot of bootspace. I can get an out n about double nipper in the boot easily.

My 2 dogs have lots of room in the boot too. I love the fact that the kids in the 3rd row can get in via the boot without having to climb over the seats.

I also like that the seats have the seat belt in the seat so I can move the seats forward without having to unattach the child car seats.

Daisy De
03-09-2013, 06:20 AM
It has been confirmed Trev the Prev has a head gasket problem which financially isn't really worth repairing.

Now what happens!!

With no money and no idea about cars I'm feeling a little anxious to say the least.

I have looked up lots of your suggestions either on Autotrader or on google but find the whole thing overwhelming.

I want a Previa but practically they are expensive to run even as a diesel, the same applies to all the other big MPVs.

I did consider a Citroen Grand Picasso which look nice and have a 1.6L engine making them more economical, does anyone have one?

The only amusing thing about the situation is the girlfriend of the mechanic who looked at Trev went to school with my 23 year old son and remembers the car from all those years ago when I used to pick my own children from school, Trev has been around quite a while :laughing:

smurfette
03-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Ah poor Trev! Sorry to hear he has had it!

I have had a ford galaxy, and loved it, then it got too dear to repair so we swapped it for a Hyundai trajet. Which to me was very similar to the galaxy but a lot cheaper.! Both dear enough to run so we have now swapped to a Renault grand scenic which was reasonable to buy and run, much easier on the petrol, and I assume a diesel model would be better again. However it has a lot of the same problems as the zaf, it is a lot smaller than either of my previous cars, there is very little leg room in the very back and the boot is too small.,
I can get my phil and teds in standing up but it has to be in a certain position, I do like that the seats fold down if we don't need them at the weekend which gives us a huge boot without storing the seats in the house so nice for weekends away or to put the dog in

jackie 7
03-09-2013, 08:37 AM
A friend has the citron Picasso grand. She loves it.i am looking to get one when I can.