PDA

View Full Version : under 1yrs variation question

Starfish007
30-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi Guys, can anyone advice me please. Ive had settle sessions for 2 x 11 month olds for different days of the week, all gone really well. One parent of 11 month old has got her work days wrong for some reason and needs one day that is the same as the other 11 month old, resulting in me having 2 x 11 month old on the same day for 6 hrs for 4 weeks. She is really upset and says that she will have to send her LO to another childminder.

is there anyway I can get around this and care for both 11 month old babies, it would be such a shame as its only for 4 days altogether over a 4 week period??

Advice really appreciated xx

moggy
30-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Both are new business so I can not see how it can be allowed.

I'd suggest parent who made the mistake tries to find some kind of short-term help to cover the hours you can not do (family/friend?) or could she take holiday from work to cover it?

Starfish007
30-08-2013, 02:49 PM
I don't think so Moggy, this is going to stress me out over the weekend now!! The first of the 2 babies has been coming for couple months already so its the second baby that is new business but guess it doesn't change anything x

charlottenash
30-08-2013, 02:51 PM
When does the first one turn one? Can you not come up with a temporary arrangement until then, surely it won't be long!

Starfish007
30-08-2013, 02:53 PM
First baby will be 1 1st October x

sing-low
30-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Could it be that Mum is trying to 'persuade' you to take the LO by saying she'll have to find another minder? You can't do it but she may not understand that.

westbrom44
30-08-2013, 03:28 PM
If both babies have been attending, wouldnt it be continuity of care? It would be unsettling for the child to have to go somewhere else and have to settle again. How about giving Ofsted a ring to check.

moggy
30-08-2013, 03:45 PM
If both babies have been attending, wouldnt it be continuity of care? It would be unsettling for the child to have to go somewhere else and have to settle again. How about giving Ofsted a ring to check.

There is no 'rule' about what continuity of care is, in fact Ofsted do not even use the term in latest guidance, I understand. To do it would be a risk, but the CM needs to weigh up that risk. I doubt Ofsted would say anything on the phone, and even if they did, if an inspector turned up who's to say if they will have a different view to the person on the phone. Worth a try, though, as long as it is backed up in writing.

Chatterbox Childcare
30-08-2013, 04:17 PM
If they are both down in your times and dates and now mum changes one I would go for it and do your RA and if Ofsted turned up I would argue the point.

Depends on how confident you feel

sarah707
30-08-2013, 06:30 PM
I want to scare you because I want you to think very very carefully about this one!

I have read a lot of Ofsted inspection reports where childminders have been torn to pieces for changing ratios and inspectors do not feel that every child is being educated appropriately... comments about older children not getting enough attention while the cm is looking after babies are commonplace.

best case scenario - the inspector sees that you are doing all the right things and the children are all making good progress. Worst case scenario - the inspector sits in your house waiting for a parent to collect their child after telling you to terminate the contract - then gives you unsatisfactory.

If you are absolutely confident that it's continuity of care and the children are all being cared for and educated well - and that your documentation is spot on - and the inspector can observe you coping well with the mix of children - and you are confident to argue it if necessary - then great!

but please do think about it carefully x

Starfish007
02-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful. I spoke to Ofsted who say its up to me to RA etc but they basically aren't interested, it will be down to the inspector to judge whether they would class it as continuity of care if I had an inspection. xx