PDA

View Full Version : Planning Permission

bindy
30-08-2013, 11:06 AM
I would like to expand and take on another assistant, in total 3 working together. I do have a place with no neighbours and plenty of out door space but that's not going to be ready for sometime.

I am looking to move into something bigger soon though. Has anyone had experience applying for planning permission? What reasons would I be refused, other than space.? Any advice please, anyone tried this and been given permission? Thank you

FussyElmo
30-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Sarah707 has written this document on planning permission.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/registered-assistants-co-minders/123081-planning-permission.html

The reason you will be refused will be noise levels, parking, impact on neighbours.

It can be very costly to apply with no guarantee of success :)

Simona
30-08-2013, 03:09 PM
I would like to expand and take on another assistant, in total 3 working together. I do have a place with no neighbours and plenty of out door space but that's not going to be ready for sometime.

I am looking to move into something bigger soon though. Has anyone had experience applying for planning permission? What reasons would I be refused, other than space.? Any advice please, anyone tried this and been given permission? Thank you

Bindy...I would suggest you wait just a short while as the DfE is proposing to remove planning conditions so that providers, including cms, can expand and take on more children.

There was an updated statement from Truss on this recently and I will try to post it when I locate it.
Of course one way you can influence this is to respond to the consultation below

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/226632/Greater_flexibilities_for_change_of_use.pdf

lilac_dragon
30-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Bindy...I would suggest you wait just a short while as the DfE is proposing to remove planning conditions so that providers, including cms, can expand and take on more children.

There was an updated statement from Truss on this recently and I will try to post it when I locate it.
Of course one way you can influence this is to respond to the consultation below

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/226632/Greater_flexibilities_for_change_of_use.pdf

This could be good news for lots of us - look forward to getting more details

bindy
30-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Thank You Simona. I will take a look at the info. Great news for lots of cms!

rickysmiths
31-08-2013, 12:07 PM
The document does not refer to Domestic Properties at all it is all to do with the change of use of Commercial Properties on the High Street. I would guess it may affect the Planning for new Nurseries but it does not affect or discuss domestic properties so will not change things for childminders in their own homes.

I have not heard of anything that will change the need for Domestic Properties to have to seek permission if they want to run a larger business form a private house because there will be implications to the neighbours and the area as a whole. I have no problem for childminders to be working on the estate I live but there is no way as a resident in a lovely quiet green area that I would want a Day Nursery opening with all its potential noise and traffic coming and going or a childminder expanding to close to this level by working with multiple Assistants. This could happen as the properties around me are all reasonably large and many can be extended the way we have extended ours.

Simona
31-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Thank You Simona. I will take a look at the info. Great news for lots of cms!

Hi Bindy...this is the article I was referring to...Truss talks about making it easier for cms to expand (towards the end of the article)...
somewhere I also read she was referring to simplifying local planning permissions...will look for that statement too

''In More Affordable Childcare the Government is offering childminders and nurseries the flexibility to expand and offer more choice to parents''
I am sure we will hear more very soon