PDA

View Full Version : Headbanging Help

kimnolan87
30-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Hi,

(Posting this with permission from mum)

I currently care for a 20m old boy who's behaviour has recently changed.........he was a pleasant little person, becoming very independent and self willed and wasn't bothered when parents left him.

However, now, he has very clingy at drop off, making mum and dad feel guilty.......he hates being told "no" or to "stop it" (which is an age thing, I know) but is also becoming very jealous when mum is with another baby (especially his baby cousin). He has also started to headbang the floor when he's told off, which mum and dad are becoming concerned about....he has done it a couple of times whilst with me, I have told him not to do that, and he's immediately ran over for a cuddle.

Mum has just sent a panicked text saying his head is a mess and he's repeatedly banged the floor as she is holding the baby and she's really not sure what to do!

So anyone help anyone......I haven't experienced this before, and not sure if it's best to ignore, respond or try and find ways he can't do it?!

Please help, a desperate mum and childminder!
xxx

Supernanny86
30-08-2013, 10:07 AM
I posted about this a few months ago but can't find the thread. The lo has grown out of it now and he's nearly 2.

The advice I was given was to:

1) warn child they are going to hurt their head.
2) if able to make sure they are on something soft.
3) once told him, pay no attention to child.

This lo I have was quite aggressive but a few too many knocks on the head that must of hurt he started to go and do it and would to it gently. Now he is able to stop himself doing it. I guess it was his way of coping with his emotions etc.

I'm sure he'll grow out of it! As frustrating as it is just persevere!!

Hope this helps in some way! :) :) :)

I know how you feel!! :)

TNT
30-08-2013, 10:47 AM
My son was a headbanger when very little, he would do it a lot and was his only coping mechanism for his frustrations at that time, I tried offering alternatives (punching a pillow or stamping his feet) but that didnt work for him. I ended up just making sure he was safe, tried to put a pillow between his head and the floor and ride it out. he eventually grew out of it as he learnt other ways to deal with his emotions.
Using alternatives to 'no' and distraction may help with your little one?

QualityCare
30-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Good advice given especially using alternatives to, no and stop it, use distractions, ignore the head banging its the only way he knows to get attention, baby cousin is getting alot of attention and he wants some l can't really understand why mum would continue to hold the baby in front of him when she knows it upsets her child. At drop off mum and dad need to say goodbye see you later and go poor lad again probably feels left out and that they are going backto the baby. Hopefully he will start to feel more secure soon and quickly grow out of it.

westbrom44
30-08-2013, 03:43 PM
I agree, put the child on a beanbag or use a cushion to prevent damage to the head.