PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of nappies

FloraDora
29-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Just thinking about disposable nappies. We had a yellow bin in my nursery - should I have one at home? Can't find any info from my council.
Does anyone provide cloth nappies whilst children are with you? Thinking this would be better than a binful of nappies - our bins are emptied fortnightly!

freckleonear
29-08-2013, 10:01 PM
My mindees all wear cloth nappies anyway, but on the odd occasion they use disposables I send them back in the changing bag to the parents. Councils tend to charge ridiculous rates for yellow bins. I did think about providing cloth nappies for mindees but I had already sold most of mine, can't see why you couldn't do it.

sarah707
30-08-2013, 08:13 AM
The advice from my council is to double wrap and put in the normal bin :D

tulip0803
30-08-2013, 08:28 AM
At the moment I double wrap and put in the bin - I only have 1 child in nappies and she only comes once a week.

I do have an angelcare nappy bin that I use when I have more in nappies that keeps the smell in and I just cut the bag inside & knot it to throw. You knot the end in the bin aswell to carry on using. Not worth it for 2-3 nappies a week though.

I have thought about using cloth but I got rid of all mine when DD2 stopped using them and at the moment I cannot invest in them as I have sooooooo many other things that need investing in first. I think at some point I will use them again.

hectors house
30-08-2013, 08:31 AM
You have to pay for a special bin from council for "clinical waste" so don't ring them to ask about them or they may make you have one - I just put nappies in nappy sack and then at end of day put them all in carrier bag in bin - our bins are only emptied fortnightly too. If you haven't got room for them, some people send home dirty nappies to parents to put in their bins - some small nurseries do this too.

FloraDora
30-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Thank you all for the advice - I will double wrap until I know how many nappies I will be using weekly. I always had cloth for mine and don't really like the landfill issue of disposables. I noticed our local council offer £30 off vouchers to buy cloth nappies so may look into that more when fully reg and clientele known. As you say, I have a big list of wants before investing in nappies!

Thanks again, finding all this advice very useful in setting up my new careeer.

rickysmiths
30-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Cloth ones are fine if you use a nappy service to get them washed. I did this with my two 20 years ago. The clean nappies were delivered every week and the dirty ones were taken away and sterilised to hospital standards. It cost me the same as a pack of Pampers a week.

If you wash them yourself by the time you have bought them, used the soak, detergent and electricity to clean them and to dry them and the wear and tear on your washing machine and tumble dryer, then it isn't that much of an environmentally friendly choice anyway. I must say it isn't something I would ever offer to my minded parents unless they used cloth nappies and they went home to be washed. I don't fancy spending my evenings washing nappies.

lisbet
30-08-2013, 03:48 PM
All my mindees are in nappies at the moment. I line a lidded bin with a with a carrier bag, then wrap each nappy in small leftover plastic bags (from bread, apples etc.) I put the carrier bag full of nappies into the black bin (collected fortnightly.)

I used home laundered cloth nappies with my own three children, because you can make carbon savings of 40% if you wash at no more than 60 degrees, line dry the nappies and use them for more than one child. I have thought about offering to use cloth nappies on mindees - especially since I am washing plenty of flannels etc anyway - but, I haven't because:

a) Even though washing at 60 degrees got my children's nappies clean for 9yrs, I wonder whether, to be on the safe side, nappies used for more than one family should be washed hotter, and this is not so eco-friendly at home. (It's still ok in a big commercial laundry machine, like Rickysmiths described though.)

b) Even though the water, electricity and washing powder for a couple of extra washes per week doesn't cost much, I think added up over time it would eat into my already very tight operating margins. (I don't think parents would be want to pay extra for the service.)

c) The parents have decided that single-use nappies work best for their family, and it's just that it's me putting the nappy in the bin instead of the parents, so I am not *exactly* adding to landfill, if you see what I mean?! :)

d) If the LO's come in slim fitting trousers, you may struggle to get them to sit comfortably over cotton nappies. I don't want to start providing trousers as well, lol!

I do state on my blurb that I am happy to change cloth nappies, just in case there's a parent out there that wants to use them :)

greanan
30-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Most of mindees are in nappies so I've a nappy bin in bathroom and double wrap each nappy in nappy bags and put them in there. I empty it every few days. At the moment out bins are collected every week but in the new year it's going down to once a fortnight. Not sure how we'll get on - bins always bursting come bin day