PDA

View Full Version : Should i be worried?

bunnyjess
29-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I've got an 11 month old starting with me at the end of September. Her mother is one of my sisters friends and she's really over the top about germs. She won't let anyone in her house with a cold and if people sneeze in her house she follows them round with bleach. She also keeps calling me all the time. This isn't her first child and She says she'll be fine when she's with me and will get over the germs thing but I'm not so sure. What would you do? I'm worried she's going to be difficult

emma04
29-08-2013, 07:18 PM
On experience.....I'd be worried. However, mum has admitted her germ phobia and sounds like she hopes to be rid if it by sending her lo to you.

If you get the opportunity it might be worth chatting to her and reassuring her that bugs are good in some ways, as when children contract illness it often protects them in the future from a more severe case.

Being too clean is bad and children from over sterile environments often suffer much worse and for a lot longer than other children, when they catch common childhood illnesses.

Immunity is built from germs!

See how it goes but only you can be the judge of what you can put up with and whats going to drive you nuts!

Good luck!

bunnyjess
29-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Yea very true. I will sit down and talk with her. Thank you

Stapleton83
29-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Think it will be a suck it and see have you got a settling in period though just in case it does drive you completely bonkers!

Sam x

bunnyjess
29-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Yea I'm guna have to say about a settling in period

The Juggler
29-08-2013, 08:42 PM
i would have another meeting with her before she starts. Tell her you need to chat. Then meet and say honestly look your child IS going to come into contact with colds and germs but that is good. you will NOT expose her to awful or contagious illnesses but to protect children from colds etc early in life is not healthy and the child will not build up any immunity and will start getting ill later when the bugs will cause more severe reactions due to no immunity and child will miss lots of nursery/school.

Explain to her its far better to be exposed to normal bugs and bacteria within healthy and hygienically clean setting limits. :thumbsup:

yummyripples
29-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Good luck with that one! Lol x
Seriously though if you really want to mind this child you are going to have to reassure the mum constantly and provide plenty of information. Make sure you are firm and confident when you are talking to her - let her know you know what you are doing.
I had a mum with safety issues, so much so that the child at the age of 2 was unable to come down stairs on his own as he was always carried. I had to work really hard with her to allow her son to take risks such as eat a grape cut into quarters as opposed to eighths!
In the end we got there (ish). Sadly her second child came to me but I didn't have the patience to do it again. She knew what I was like, said she trusted me 100% but would stand over me when I was strapping the baby in the high chair and basically questioning everything I did.

AdeleMarie88
29-08-2013, 10:59 PM
I have been in a similar situation in the past, I quickly learnt to be tough and just Be very firm with mom, children will be ill, and it is good for them to be ill occasionally, as previous posts state, children need to build up an immune system. I think the major point here is that you stand your ground, regardless of whether she is a friend of the family or not, if you don't now, you will only regret it later when mom gets worse!

Koala
30-08-2013, 06:48 AM
I think the major point here is that you stand your ground, regardless of whether she is a friend of the family or not, if you don't now, you will only regret it later when mom gets worse!

As has been said, do not let the first instance of over cautious actions from mum slip, as soon as mum comments about 'silly' things, address, challenge and dispel, otherwise she will drive you crazy and spoil your day. day after day. I also have been there and done that. I learn't nip it in the bud and move on,.
Good luck, I think you will need it :thumbsup:

westbrom44
30-08-2013, 07:02 AM
I have to admit that I was obsessed with germs with my first son but relaxed when my other children came along. I would just do as others have said and have a chat with mum.