PDA

View Full Version : How tidy is your kitchen during the day?

doris127
29-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I think I just want reassurance that I'm not alone in this!!! How do you all keep on top of keeping the kitchen clean or are you like me and sometimes turn round when cooking tea and find you're clearing the breakfast dishes? I have 2 or 3 toddlers every morning that I do breakfast and lunch for then older children in the afternoon and after school that get lunch and tea. With all the time restraints pick ups, drop offs, nursery and school etc I just don't get near it till tea time. last year all my wee ones were 3 & 4 so played happily while I cleared up but now they're all 1 so its a completely different ball game!!! Plus they're all on baby led weaning and self feeding so meal times are really messy!
All ideas and strategies welcome

emma04
29-08-2013, 12:21 PM
My kitchen is 3mx2m and requires constant washing up and putting away or I'd never fit in there!! The rest of the house is a tip! Lol

Mrsh3103
29-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Mine is a TIP. Parents see how nice, shiny & beautifully clean it is first thing in the morning so I'm not bothered how it looks when they collect. I make sure that I sweep the floor (slip hazard) and I put plates etc in the sink but that's all I do during the day. Sometimes if all kids end up sleeping at the same time I'll have a tidy up.

Samantha_j41
29-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes! My kitchen dishes always end up in a huge pile. Looks so untidy. Ive started getting into a routine of when one mindee goes at 1 we all have quiet time with tv on or nap for an hour (sometimes kids get bored before the hours up) and i do all my dishes then ;)

Tealady
29-08-2013, 12:29 PM
So glad I saw this! I thought I was a terrible CM! So wish we had room for a dishwasher so I could hide it all in there!

SJ35
29-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Mine starts off ok and gets worse during the day. It all piles up and then I have to do it all when they have gone home :( I just pull the kitchen door shut at collection time lol x

doris127
29-08-2013, 01:32 PM
So glad I saw this! I thought I was a terrible CM! So wish we had room for a dishwasher so I could hide it all in there!

I have a dishwasher but it usually needs emptied. I am trying to train my 2 dds (12 and 16) to fill an empty it in the evening but if they haven't remembered (and ignored me reminding them!) then I have that to do too. I have 1 mum who always arrives in the middle of me giving lunch and as I have 2 in a high chair and 1 on a booster with harness I've told her to just come in as I don't like leaving them unattended to go to the door - especially the one in the booster seat. I apologise for the kitchen every day but sure she must think "What a tip!"

So glad it's not just me!!:phew:

funemnx
29-08-2013, 01:33 PM
My kitchen looks like plane just crashed in it - it always does.....

But it's clean (ish) ;)

tinkerbelle
29-08-2013, 01:41 PM
I had Ofsted out to my setting last Wednesday due to a police officer ringing them and making a referral due to my kitchen being filthy (a carrier bag attatched to a cupboard door handle where I was emptying lunch and crumbs on my work top) id only rung the police has my car had been broken into on the 5th of august the Ofsted inspector was here 3 hours hunting for dirt and couldn't find any

smurfette
29-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Can send u a pic of mine if u like!! Like you have three smallies self feeding and just don't get time Til naptime but then I am trying to get a break or have one asleep in buggy In there

My dds job is dishwasher so they do it mid afternoon if I haven't got that far so I can cook dinner

You are not alone!

Chatterbox Childcare
29-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Dishwasher - load it when breakfast is finished, lunch is loaded once they are in bed in the afternoon, tea time as they are eating pudding and balance when they have gone home

Loushah
29-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I have got a dishwasher too..so can hide it away, before that my assistant would wash up 3 times a day

caz3007
29-08-2013, 02:47 PM
I had Ofsted out to my setting last Wednesday due to a police officer ringing them and making a referral due to my kitchen being filthy (a carrier bag attatched to a cupboard door handle where I was emptying lunch and crumbs on my work top) id only rung the police has my car had been broken into on the 5th of august the Ofsted inspector was here 3 hours hunting for dirt and couldn't find any

Goodness me, what an idiot. There are nearly always crumbs on my worktop. What on earth did they hope to gain by complaining. I would have been so angry

Melanyweb
29-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Think it was one of you lovely ladies on here that mentioned Flylady website. I shine my sink after breakfast now and I've emptied the cupboard under the sink so I can hide my dirty pots in there. Lol lol.
Genius!!!!

sing-low
29-08-2013, 04:00 PM
During my food inspection, the inspector suggested I keep my sink free for hand washing! Nearly laughed but managed not to. I do try and tidy up as I go along but it doesn't always happen.

mum24
29-08-2013, 04:13 PM
I mentioned in passing to one of my patents how embarrassed I am sometimes when I take a photo of their child doing an s to city and in the background there are a pile of dirty dishes pans etc.

mum24
29-08-2013, 04:16 PM
I mentioned in passing to one of my patents how embarrassed I am sometimes when I take a photo of their child doing an s to city and in the background there are a pile of dirty dishes pans etc.

Sorry sent too soon :-))

This phone makes up its own messages:-!)))

right- parent said she did not take notice of the mess in the background of photos as it meant i was looking after her lo and not cleaning the house:-)

Mouse
29-08-2013, 04:25 PM
My kitchen is always spotless. The sides are clean and clear of all clutter. The floor sparkles. The cupboards are all sorted and perfectly arranged. The sink is empty and shining...

...oh no, my mistake, it's nothing like that at all :ROFL1:

We use the kitchen for playing, so it does have to be pretty clean & clear. Today the children had mats down & were lying on the kitchen floor. The floor is clean. I just hope they can't see under the cooker from lying there!

donna porter
29-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Omg!!!! That's outrageous !!!

scottishlass
29-08-2013, 06:18 PM
I have a dishwasher so make sure i empty it in the morning ready for the day and I add the dishes to it all day and put it on at night ready for the next day! Xx

Mrsh3103
29-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Right that's it..... I'm moving house!!! I need a kitchen big enough for a dishwasher!!!!

childcareclair
29-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Oh my word, you do not know how pleased I am to hear I am not alone! Amazing. I do my best but I still have one side board that collects stuff to be sorted out at some point, FLYLADY calls it a hot spot! It's more like a mountain but hey ho.

The Juggler
29-08-2013, 08:47 PM
My kitchen is always spotless. The sides are clean and clear of all clutter. The floor sparkles. The cupboards are all sorted and perfectly arranged. The sink is empty and shining...

...oh no, my mistake, it's nothing like that at all :ROFL1:

We use the kitchen for playing, so it does have to be pretty clean & clear. Today the children had mats down & were lying on the kitchen floor. The floor is clean. I just hope they can't see under the cooker from lying there!

:laughing::laughing: sounds like mine mouse

Stapleton83
29-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Try and wash and tidy as I go as the children often sit in the kitchen to do activities but I do have to confess that by the end of the week it looks like a bomb has gone off with piles of paper, pictures etc left out

My view is as long as it is clean and hygenic for food and the children/parents are happy I am ok!

Sam x

Jiorjiina
29-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Mine generally looks more a warzone. Three small children all day and a large and hairy dog are not conducive to a tidy kitchen. If I can keep my feet from sticking to the floor and the cupboards and worktops within three shades of their original colour, I think I'm doing pretty well!

The police are notorious among social workers for reporting cases of neglect and insanitary homes when they're actually just really untidy and could do with a good wipe down. I hear that it's because the police mindset after training is often similar to soldiers in the way they're taught to be neat and tidy. I know a couple of social workers who actually ran a seminar for their local police to demonstrate to them the actual difference between 'untidy and crowded family home' and 'insanitary house' because it was such a waste of social workers time.

kellib
29-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Mine isn't too bad when mindees are here, usually just lunch dishes left over etc.

It's the days mindees aren't here it's really a state as I can't be bothered to clean on my days off lol

littlemiss60561
30-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Hoorah! I love this site! Therapy at your fingertips! My names .... And I'm not perfect !
My dds evening job is the dishwasher. I've tried and tried and shown and begged her to empty it in the evening, so that I can fill as I go during the day. Less mess, less embarrassment for me, and more importantly to her...less flippin work as its mostly done!! But.... No.... She just huffs and puffs (generally) at "I didn't even know we as this many plates/cups/spoons" i reply we have more but they are all in your room ! :mad: :laughing: is there a symbol for rocking???!
My kitchen is tiny. Covered in bits of paperwork, leads, bits of "needs fixing" toys and small bits found on my morning floor walk lol My solution , hessian bags. Great invention. Scoop the lot into a bag just before parents arrive / new parents visit/ in laws turn up.... Job done. I then put them in my room.
Problem with this is there are 2 hessian bags in my room and I've not cheated like this for a few weeks now.... Oops

littlemiss60561
30-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Maybe we should start a new trend,., not how wonderful is my play room but who's got the messiest house!

munch149
30-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Mine isn't too bad when mindees are here, usually just lunch dishes left over etc.

It's the days mindees aren't here it's really a state as I can't be bothered to clean on my days off lol

This is like me. My family think I'm really messy but I vacuum, mop, clean and tidy every day of the week before, during and after work, the last thing I want to be doing on a weekend is tidying. I have a blitz on a Friday after work as I finish a bit early but then refuse to do much other than load the dishwasher until Sunday evening. So annoyingly my house is always a mess when people visit

westbrom44
30-08-2013, 06:58 AM
I try to tidy as I go, washing up, loading the dishwasher and wiping the kitchen worktop and table. I'm not a naturally tidy person but hate mess so I do have to work at it.

lisa1968
30-08-2013, 07:15 AM
DS (16) and DD (10) are trained to empty the dishwasher in the mornings before school so i just put the dirty stuff in it as I go along.my kitchen is fairly big and I use it for play,painting etc so I TRY to keep it fairly tidy...
......the kitchen table, however, is a different story........
......it's full of pre-school magazines,learning journals, diaries,post,........
...I need a secretary!

Sweetpea
30-08-2013, 10:00 AM
My husband has only two things I expect from him before he disappears for work. Get one of our children dressed and make sure the dishwasher is empty. Then I have a good start at least to the day.

I've found that by repeatedly arranging the dishwasher contents in unorganised ways has driven him to the point of insisting he now does it!! Result

ziggy
30-08-2013, 01:20 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!

I'm moving into another rented house at end of next month. My new landlord just called in and children were watching dvd while i made lunch. Kitchen looked just dreadful. I apologised for mess and said house only looks like this while i'm working. Luckily he just laughed.

Then estate agent came. Wonder why no one pops in when place is clean and tidy????:blush::blush::blush:

kellyskidz!
30-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Ditto to all messy kitchen posts!
Today we had breakfast, I dumped the pots in the sink and off we went out for the morning, then I was annoyed when we got back in that I had to wash them, as if they would have washed theirselves!
And now I'm looking lunchtime pots are in there too
Soaking, I shall call it. They need soaking. They are soaking.
:laughing:

babs
30-08-2013, 07:04 PM
All my littleones bring me thier bowl or plate and I load the dish washer in hols I have older child that asks to wash up.. but I clear as I prepare..

caz3007
30-08-2013, 08:00 PM
For those that don't have dishwashers, lets teach the LO's to wash up properly. One of my mums is always on about life skills a lot, so got LO dusting the other day, I just do it before they come so forget they like to do things like that. Lesson two, sweep and mop the kitchen floor :laughing:

lovemykiddies
31-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi all I did have a little chuckle to myself at this thread because I'm not even qualified as a childminder yet and my kitchen on a tea time looks like a bomb has gone off hahaha :/ with my four children I just class my house when untidy as dry mess hehe. it's clean but at least I can say its lived in. Well that's what I keep telling myself anyway :/ x

primula
31-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Kitchen isn't to bad really but it the upstairs that is embarrassing! :o

singingcactus
31-08-2013, 07:29 PM
I have a huge stack of pots by the end of the day. But that's okay cos it's better for the environment and my utilities bill to not be filling the sink with hot soapy water a couple of times after every meal. If you do it all at the same time you need one bowl for glasses,cups and crockery, then another for pans and silverware. You are doing yourself and the environment a favour by leaving it till the end. :D

That's what I tell myself. I am very believable too. Honest face and all that.

Katie1980
02-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Mine generally looks more a warzone. Three small children all day and a large and hairy dog are not conducive to a tidy kitchen. If I can keep my feet from sticking to the floor and the cupboards and worktops within three shades of their original colour, I think I'm doing pretty well!

The police are notorious among social workers for reporting cases of neglect and insanitary homes when they're actually just really untidy and could do with a good wipe down. I hear that it's because the police mindset after training is often similar to soldiers in the way they're taught to be neat and tidy. I know a couple of social workers who actually ran a seminar for their local police to demonstrate to them the actual difference between 'untidy and crowded family home' and 'insanitary house' because it was such a waste of social workers time.

Mind you I am suprised at some Social Workers as they around here make wrong assumptions. I have experienced this first hand, when my sister had a problem and all three kids 11, 4, 8 months ended up staying for a few days, house looked lived in with kids bits around and he said it looked dirty and chaotic. he had a field day at her house 5 kids in one small 3bed house with minimal storage but could have been sorted if partner was not the rival to Mr Trebus took us months to finally get Social Services to change their minds and actually help them

jackie 7
02-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Ok so it depends on my night. For some reason I had to sort boxes of paperwork. This morning place looked a dump. Half hour later looked so much better. Then hovered and clean. Why on why oh why do dishwashers not self empty.

doris127
03-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I have heard the answer to the dishwasher problem is to have 2. Use the dishes on the clean one and transfer to 2nd dishwasher when dirty - so use them in tandem. But who has the space for that?

Daisy De
03-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Kitchen? Do I have one of those, I can't tell under all the bags, toys, paperwork, dogs and assorted children!

It's a good job I don't provide meals :laughing: