PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Ofsted wont give me a straight answerr.

Natalierose
29-08-2013, 11:32 AM
So I'm Newley registered and when mrs o was here on my registration visit we worked out that according to the space requirements I have room for 4 early years children.

So where do over 8's come into this?

Does it mean I could have 3 early years and one 8 yr old as then I'm still within 4 children

Or

Do all 4 children need to be under the age of 6?

I'm not sure if I'm making sense but I rang ofsted and they couldn't give me an answer and told me that over 8's are not in ratio but surely they need a certain amount of space though it doesn't say this in space requirements.

Please ask me questions to make sense of this, I just don't want to do anything wrong!!

Thanks in advance Nat x

Natalierose
29-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Sorry I've worded that wrong I have space for 4 children in total according to the space requirements. Obviously 3 can be early years children.
Does the 4 th child need to be a schoolie but under 8??

Apologies again I'm making a mess of this

Nat x

peppa Pig
29-08-2013, 11:46 AM
I've never really thought about it but as they don't come under the children's act I suppose if you we're only looking after over 8's it wouldn't matter as long as insurance is ok.
But when looking after both your overs can't affect your early years so if they are taking up space then surely that counts as affecting your early years, my guess is no you can't take on over 8 plus your quota of early years but it is only a guess

QualityCare
29-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Yes you can only have 4 under 8 of which no more than 3 can be EY children ofsted arn't interested in over 8's its up to you to decide how many if any you want/can accommodate.

peppa Pig
29-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Your 4th needs to be in full time school or aged 5+ doesn't matter if they are over 8 or under as such.

Chatterbox Childcare
29-08-2013, 01:40 PM
There is guidance here on numbers and space for each age range. I am sure it is in the EY Register Guidance. Where have you looked for it?

bindy
29-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Yes it means 3 under 5. 1 over 5 but under 8. Over 8's don't count ,Ofsted do not include them, but you need to show you are able to follow EYFS and the over 8's do not infringe on the care you give the under 8's. If that makes sense!

Natalierose
29-08-2013, 10:01 PM
There is guidance here on numbers and space for each age range. I am sure it is in the EY Register Guidance. Where have you looked for it?

I've looked in the early years frame work at the space requirements. It doesn't mention older children.

Natalierose
29-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Thank you all for replying!
when I contacted ofsted they didn't really answer my question just said that if I was to have over 8's I must RA to make sure it doesn't impact the care of my ey's.

So If I have a:
1 yr old
2x 3 yr old
8 yr old

I'm not breaking any rules or requirements?????

lisbet
29-08-2013, 10:19 PM
You can have 4 children under 8, or whom 3 can be under 5. IN ADDITION you can have as many children over 8 as you judge appropriate in terms of quality of care and space.

So, for example, you could have:

1 baby +
2 toddlers +
1 6yr old +
1 9yr old

:)

Natalierose
29-08-2013, 10:55 PM
You can have 4 children under 8, or whom 3 can be under 5. IN ADDITION you can have as many children over 8 as you judge appropriate in terms of quality of care and space.

So, for example, you could have:

1 baby +
2 toddlers +
1 6yr old +
1 9yr old

:)

Thank you!!!
I will most likely stick with 4 children at any one time as I haven't a large amount of room but it's clearer to me and if I do have over 8's I will risk asses to make sure my standard of care is not affected