PDA

View Full Version : Re: HELP

trudy81
28-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm new to this group as Ive only recently been thinking about setting up as a childminder. I've been reading a few of the other threads & am now slightly scared about what I'll have to do to get set up. :-D

I really don't have much idea about what I need to do to start the ball rolling apart from I've tried registering on a pre registration course today (they're full) & that I will need to do a basic food hygiene course & paediatric first aid. I should add that I do already hold a NVQ 3 in Childcare & Education.

I have a 17mth old boy so have the usual safety measures in place for a child that age :-D (stair gate,fire guard) what other sort of things would I need to look into regarding my house?

I have loads of questions so any information is great fully received :-)

Many Thanks
Trudy

charlottenash
29-08-2013, 06:24 AM
All health and safety aspects will be covered in the course, could you not do it online? That's how I did it, and it was alot easier.

It's not as terrible to start up as it sounds and feels, once your going it all comes naturally.

Good luck xxx

blue bear
29-08-2013, 06:53 AM
You will need to do a child protection course too, talk to your local education authority about which one to do as each authority sets its own rules on this.

Welcome to the forum, take things in little steps and you will get there, just don't expect it to be quick.

Samantha_j41
29-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Its not scary :) i registered in october 2012 x

Look into your local council, ive managed to do all my courses through them for free!

You will need to do a pre reg course first , and they explain everything x

trudy81
29-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I'm hoping to get a cancellation place on the pre register course in Sept, Im hoping that will make things a lot clearer :-/

This sounds like a ridiculous question but what happens about me having people to stay?? I live by the sea & 200 miles away from my family. My mum visits around 3 times a year for about 10-12 days & my sister comes for long weekends 2 or 3 times. How will this work or will it not be allowed?

Next step is to get in touch with my local authority I guess & see what they say/offer course wise?

Thanks again
:-)