PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham Serious Case Review: poor management.. LA and Ofsted fail

Simona
28-08-2013, 01:55 PM
How could many of the obvious signs be ignored?

This review has sparked a conversation on professional relationships with parents
Do you use Facebook and other social media to connect with parents?
Do you have a policy on social media use?

Nursery rape case review criticises poor management | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1209035/nursery-rape-case-review-criticises-poor-management?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

VeggieSausage
28-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Horrific and awful, this case made my blood run cold, can you imagine the agony of the child and how the parents felt when they found out.....totally horrific.

The other case that was awful of the little boy Daniel who was starved and beaten by his mother and stepfather and at school he was searching through bins for food etc. I have a friend who adopted a child and he would ask people for food in the park, eat out of bins etc when she first had him as he had been starved and no-one seemed to think at the school or SS that this was enough to act on.....again I think the central person responsible for safeguarding but not the teacher was responsible for the safeguarding.....just shows we each have a duty to the child and if something does not seem right report it directly to social services again and again if necessary.....

blue bear
28-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Terrible, can't Imagine how it could happen in a nursery unless they cut corners. It's so easy when you are really friendly with someone to over look some behaviours though. Really shocked how he could be on his own with a child in a nursery like he must have been to record what he did. To think he will be let out again is outrageous.

lilac_dragon
28-08-2013, 02:35 PM
I have a Facebook page which is just for family, and I started one last year for my Childminding, to use it as an advert for my services. It shows regular photos of what we've been doing in my setting so that people get an idea of what we do and also see my childminding room and garden.
It was all due to a suggestion from one of my parents, and I then ran it past the other 4 parents whom I work for (all EYFS), without exception they thought it was a great idea. I have written permission from all of them to include photos of their los. If any parent had a problem, I would never include their child.
I don't "interact" on the page in any way other than putting the photos on there.
All the families I work for are local families, we've all known each other for years, some are repeat customers - siblings, -some are people that were childminded by me when they were little and now bring their own children to me, I'm Godparent to several of them, we attend the same church, school, pubs and restaurants - it's a small place!. I'm professional - but I'm also a friend by default!
I'll be interested to hear what others say on this

Simona
28-08-2013, 03:17 PM
First call for whistleblowing policies by NDNA...I wonder how long before it will be compulsory for all?
Different for cms I know because we work on our own...
In my contract and Terms and Conditions I refer to the use of social media which applies to parents and cm and ask for confidentiality and Data Protection to be respected so my setting or children are not identified

What do you do?

National Day Nurseries Association call for robust safeguarding and whistleblowing policies in wake of nursery rape case (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1560892/national-day-nurseries-association-call-for-robust-safeguarding-and-whistleblowing-policies-in-wake-of-nursery-rape-case#.Uh4TABxsRYI.twitter)

There is also a petition for making reporting worries about possible child abuse compulsory...I will search for the link and post it