PDA

View Full Version : Would you just completely start again?

EmmaReed84
27-08-2013, 05:19 PM
This year I have been terrible with my paperwork side of things. What with all my kidney problems and verging on needing a transplant all that stuff just took a backseat! I have doing it all mainly in my head and still doing loads of things with the children and taking on board what they are doing and planning, but obviously have no evidence. Well apart from the occasional bits I have jotted down, but it is all disjointed.

I will only one full time mindee from September and because she is the sibling of one of my leavers I am having to do a whole new contract for her. Also, all of my paper work has changed so I will just re-do all of that (but keep all the original ones of course). I think I will also be a due an inspection in the next 12 months.

Is it just worth me completely scrapping her LJ and starting from scratch? Her LJ is literally just all the boring stuff with the odd photo thrown in, they have their very own scrapbooks that they do for themselves/parents which are loads nicer and more personal, so it won't be like I am scrapping sentimental stuff. If that makes sense.

Bluebell
27-08-2013, 05:28 PM
i don't know - I would keep it even if it doesn't necessarily go in the scrapbook - maybe put it inside a plastic wallet to keep with it or with the other 'boring' paperwork like the contracts.
I have an overview sheet which helps me see where the children are in the different areas but it doesn't go in the scrapbooks.

EmmaReed84
27-08-2013, 05:53 PM
i don't know - I would keep it even if it doesn't necessarily go in the scrapbook - maybe put it inside a plastic wallet to keep with it or with the other 'boring' paperwork like the contracts.
I have an overview sheet which helps me see where the children are in the different areas but it doesn't go in the scrapbooks.

I wouldn't physically throw it away. I do have a plastic wallet which contains all the contracts, forms, attendance sheets etc so when they leave I can file it away until I no longer need it. I would just put it all in with that, rather than in the LJ which will go to the parent when they leave.

I just mean scrap the work and start again from fresh rather than try to pick it all back up again. Like I said it is all disjointed and doesn't really make sense anymore LOL!

blue bear
27-08-2013, 06:24 PM
What exactly is the paperwork, is it just planning and reflection that sort of thing? That I would file separately, observations, photos and pieces of child's art work I would keep.

Mine don't have a separate scrapbook and learning journal it just all goes together in date order so even if there are not lots of observations for a month there are pieces of work and photos I can link to eyfs and plan from if that makes sense.

EmmaReed84
27-08-2013, 06:35 PM
I have an A4 black art book which the children have decorated with various cut out pictures from cards, magazines etc. Then once a week we stick some photos from that week in (with more other decorative bits) and chat about the photos. I then write the little things they say about it. (I use what we chat about to also help with planning)

I then have an A4 display folder, in the front it has a breakdown of the development matters then the observations which is linked to DM and also has ideas for future play, and next steps (also has pictures & pictures of their art work rather than the work itself - they always want to take it home afterwards) I then have, every so often an assessment. An overview of what we have been doing, then a plan of where we are aiming for etc... It is this bit I have not been on top of! From about Feb/March it just all went to pot as I was getting poorly.

I still have the odd observation that I have written, but like I said, it no longer flows like it did before. I did show my DO and she said she liked that it was separate as the parents could have their lovely keepsake, but also have the other side of it too.

I like doing it this way as I get to have that time with the children 1 on 1 and chat about what we have done, what we could do etc, plus it means their scrapbook was made by them so extra special... Also an activity in itself! :D

sarah707
27-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Don't make extra work for yourself! Just use what you have already done as a baseline and choose the paperwork you want to use next :D