PDA

View Full Version : Wasps

charlottenash
27-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Well I've had an eventful afternoon. My son got a wasp sting, all hell broke loose, his finger swollen to the size of a balloon. After lots of flannel wrapping and a call to nhs direct, Calpol, piriton and ice cream he's feeling much better.

MessybutHappy
27-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Ouchy! They're everywhere this year!

Mouse
27-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Poor thing!

We were saying last week that there seems to have been a real shortage of wasps this year. Then this weekend they were everywhere!

skatie
27-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Bless him! Reminds me I must buy some piriton. The wasps have been a pest today. New mindee is afraid of wasps, spiders etc. typically a huge dragonfly came in the house and reduced the poor girls to a quivering, crying wreck. I've had to close all the windows and doors to stop them coming in.

BlondeMoment
27-08-2013, 03:58 PM
It's that awful time of year where they're everywhere.
I had my bunch out today and we were having our pic nic and wasps were bothering us. We found that putting our food away every time they came over worked OK at keeping then at bay. But suddenly the 19 month old girl suddenly giggled saying 'bee' and had one squirming in her fingers! She'd got hold of it tight pinching it between her fingers. We all freaked out thinking she'd be stung any second and I grabbed her arm and flapped it about to get her to drop it but she'd actually half killed it lol. Pretty funny once the panic was over. Poor girl didn't know why we all went nuts lol

jackie 7
27-08-2013, 04:44 PM
I noticed today hiw bad they were. Is it vinegar for wasp stings?

Pixie dust
27-08-2013, 04:59 PM
That's my worse fear at the moment due to have an older one who has an eppi pen for wasp stings.

Samijanec
27-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Poor wee toot, hope he's felling better. Xx

vikiwizz
27-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Vinegar is good for wasp stings

charlottenash
27-08-2013, 05:57 PM
He's ok now it's all much better, he's just a bit nervous about going into the garden!

Amandak28
27-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Is it vinegar for wasp stings?

It is yes, i only discovered it a few weeks ago from the guy who owns my mums local chip shop.

I was on my way there for our monthly treat at my mums and was stung twice en route and he suggested vinegar and it worked wonders! :-D x

Samijanec
27-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Ohh I didn't know this, hopefully won't have to try it. Thanks x

hectors house
27-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Hope your little boy is ok now Charlotte - One of my Mindees got stung in garden today just 20 mins before home time - she was following me in through the door and just started screaming - luckily I saw the wasp fly away from her and guessed what had happened as she was crying too much to tell me what had happened (She is just 3). I lifted her dress and found she had been stung on her side - I haven't ever had a child been stung before so just put cold water flannel on it and put some Anthisan bite and sting cream on it (out of my family first aid cupboard), she calmed down a little and after some cuddles and CBeebies and some jelly sweets from cake decorating supplies she stopped crying just before her Nanny came. I had heard that it was vinegar for wasp stings and bicarb for bee stings but thought I would try the cream first, although I wouldn't normally use my own creams on mindees. Filled in an accident form but in my haste I forgot to put the :censored: cardboard in the right place and didn't get a copy - had to photocopy it and get nanny to sign both copies!

charlottenash
28-08-2013, 05:27 AM
I rang 111 they are always so helpful and never to busy to give advice!