PDA

View Full Version : Planning Permission HELP!

Carol1013
27-08-2013, 09:30 AM
I have been a registered childminder for about two years. I recently received a letter of complaint from the council saying that our neighbours had complained about the noise when children are being picked up and dropped off and also when children are playing out in the garden. In the letter he suggested that I might need planning permission as I employ two assistants. Is there any way that we can appeal the need for planning permission or will I have to get it???

Obviously I am really worried because surely planning permission will be refused by the neighbours if they have complained and also I doubt I will be able to afford the costs of becoming a 'business'. I have kept with all the ofsted regulations about how many children I am allowed and how many helpers - so this was a big worry. Of course none of the neighbours bothered to come round and talk to us about it before they complained!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Mrsh3103
27-08-2013, 01:15 PM
I was under the impression that most councils insist you apply if you regularly have more than 6 children.

It's a shame you've had neighbours complain about the noise :(
If it was me who had been complained about I would probably work out how I could reduce the noise levels, Write letters of apology to all neighbours & outline what will be done to reduce the noise and send a copy of this to the council.

Then you need to tackle the parents. Give them a copy of what you've sent to neighbours & council. Tell them you've had complaints about noise at drop off & collection times and ask them to work with you to respect your neighbours by arriving & leaving quietly.
Could you maybe stagger drop offs? In sure morning noise will be more of an issue if its early!

I really hope you get it sorted :)

bindy
27-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Mrsh3103 gives good advice. One other thing I would let your neighbours know, any official complaint will interfere with them selling their homes. May make them think twice the next time they want to complain!

sarah707
27-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Hi Carol I have sent you a pm.

I have written a document about planning permission which you won't be able to read yet as you are a new member on the forum.

I am more than happy to email it to you if you want to give me your email address.

The quick answer is - yes, you should have asked about planning before you took on assistants and changed your ratios... yes, you will need to apply retrospectively...

However, it is unlikely it will be granted because you have already had neighbour complaints. Planning ask neighbours how your business impacts their lives and are influenced by their comments.

You might be in a lot of trouble because you might not be insured if you are breaking planning law. I suggest you contact your insurance legal helpline and ask for urgent advice.

I am sorry :(