PDA

View Full Version : How often do you upgrade your carseats?

singlewiththree
26-08-2013, 07:48 AM
'I've been looking online at carseats. I've slowly been upgrading my carseats as they have needed it but I have a Britax Renaissance which is coming up the magic 6 years that has been mentioned for changing. Its still fantastic and to replace its £50+ which I can't afford afford at the moment.

How often do you replace your carseats?

munch149
26-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Only been childminding three years so never felt the need. When I first started tho I had one second hand one from a family member and I know this is not ideal (was used when third lo started). I changed this one as soon as I could afford to. I have three so would get very costly to do this regularly

margaret
26-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I buy new approx every five years. It should tell you on your car seat, year of manfacture.A percentage of salary should be put away monthly for car seats and pushchairs ,in my eyes far more important than amount of toys ,dvds ,electronic toys.Your car seat may still look great for its age but may not do its job properly if there is an accident.

Would also write it in your sef when you renew car seats

Tazmin68
26-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I would check all car seats to make sure that they have the red label of ECE R44/4 because if they do not they are no longer legal. My local police to spot checks on cars parked close to school especially in September. I went through all my seats including boosters asking sure they comply.
Deb

sarah707
26-08-2013, 06:13 PM
I bought a new one recently. I think mine are all ok - hopefully - off to check! :laughing:

samb
26-08-2013, 06:51 PM
It never occurred to me to change them unless they'd been in an accident? My oldest car seat was first my daughters - it's 8. But it's an infant seat so has been used for max of 2.5 years. Is that ok?

Samijanec
26-08-2013, 07:21 PM
I thought you only had to change them if in an accident a well..

muffins
26-08-2013, 07:35 PM
It never occurred to me to change them unless they'd been in an accident? My oldest car seat was first my daughters - it's 8. But it's an infant seat so has been used for max of 2.5 years. Is that ok?

No its not how long its been in use its the date of manufacture, the plastics and possibly other materials in the seat deteriorate over time.

Here is a website which gives you some idea of life span of a particular brand but you do need to check your seat!

Car seat manufacture and expiry date information - NZ Child Restraints (http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/expiry-table.php)

Car seat manufacture and expiry date information - NZ Child Restraints (http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/dom.php)

margaret
26-08-2013, 07:39 PM
The plastic seat gets brittle with age due to hot and cold temp in car or wherever they are being stored,the polystyrene breaks down over time and the same with the straps they fray .

One of my parents was in a head on collision ,40mph ,child had broken legs ,if child had been in an old seat parent was told child wouldnt be here ,seat looked okay on outside but when cover removed polystyrene was cracked and in bits ,hairline crack through base of plastic.I picked up personal effects from car for family ,not pleasant viewing and chap showed me damage to car seat.

samb
26-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Gosh than you I will have a read. Shame about the infant seat as they are barely used here as most are due to go up car seat soon after starting... Might have to just walk when they're tiny?

muffins
27-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Gosh than you I will have a read. Shame about the infant seat as they are barely used here as most are due to go up car seat soon after starting... Might have to just walk when they're tiny?

Buy a seat that you can use from0-4yrs then you can just turn it round, like the britax first class plus x

loocyloo
27-08-2013, 12:57 PM
kiddicare have got a sale on ... last few days ... good deals on car seats.

:D

Tazmin68
27-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Brill sale I bought two larger seats and 3 booster seats for less than £90 and delivered next day with an hour time slot.

Deb

loocyloo
27-08-2013, 01:10 PM
I've just bought 2 new 5 point harness booster seats. even better - they match the one I already have so NO ARGUEING !!! :D

last time I ordered from them, I ordered at about 5pm, and the seat was delivered at 8.15am the next morning!

question is ... what to do with the old car seats? I know about cutting the straps so no one else uses them, but do they just need taking to the tip? can't remember what I did last time!

Samijanec
27-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Ohh thank you, off to look!

Sarsar3NCH
27-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Yikes, I have isofix seats, they are both 6 yrs old but are so expensive to replace. I may have to think about buying normal baby seats to replace them :-(

Tazmin68
27-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I just took them to tip. I don't do long journeys so just bought the kiddicare own brand car seats were 34.99 each and boosters were 4.99 each. I am not spending over 100 per seat do not have that sort of money.
Deb

singingcactus
30-08-2013, 06:48 PM
I replace mine around 5-6 year mark. Just got new ones. Still got to get rid of old ones yet though.