PDA

View Full Version : Tv

sprinkles
26-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Do any of you have it on during the day?

smurfette
26-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Yep! Usually have half hour tv time before home as I had a problem with one little one who got giddy before home and didn't then want to go if she was busy playing! Also let's me tidy up! Usually have a bit in the morning also as they arrive at staggered times and can be sleepy or unsettled (helps one make the transition) and may have a few minutes while I make lunch. It's been on more over the holidays as my daughters have been home and the 3 year old will sometimes ask for a movie if she is tired but the rest are under 2 and its background really. Trying to put more music on instead.. I feel
Parents must think its on all day if its on when they drop off and when they collect!

Becci26
26-08-2013, 07:36 AM
I tend to have it on in the morning before the school run. Generally it's not on the rest of the day but tend to play it by ear, if a child needs some down time, is feeling a bit under the weather or its raining we might have it on for a bit or have a 'cinema'

kellib
26-08-2013, 07:43 AM
It tends to go on after lunch here, usually when youngest LO is having a sleep the others want quiet tv time.

Then when my son comes in from school it's on for him.

sprinkles
26-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Yep! Usually have half hour tv time before home as I had a problem with one little one who got giddy before home and didn't then want to go if she was busy playing! Also let's me tidy up! Usually have a bit in the morning also as they arrive at staggered times and can be sleepy or unsettled (helps one make the transition) and may have a few minutes while I make lunch. It's been on more over the holidays as my daughters have been home and the 3 year old will sometimes ask for a movie if she is tired but the rest are under 2 and its background really. Trying to put more music on instead.. I feel
Parents must think its on all day if its on when they drop off and when they collect!

We've just watched a bit of Dora, mainly because she hasn't long arrived and fell over and hit her face on the toy box. She's up playing now though.

I wondered if parents must think it's on all day too lol.

munch149
26-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Normally after lunch for any non sleepers. It gives them quiet time to stop them waking up the others. But no non sleepers At the mo so it on very rarely at my daughters request for peppa pig which she is obsessed with

charlottenash
26-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Home time because as above I have trouble with one if he's all excited and doesn't want to go home.

16mo is not remotely interested thank goodness, and I do pop it on for 'cinema time' once a week.

Overall it's on about 30-45mins a day. I do wonder when mum picks up one she always says 'so have you been out today' i often wonder if she thinks its on all day. I write in diary exactly what they've watched all day as to show I'm not hiding it and it is minimal.

Jiorjiina
26-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I have one mindee who is obsessed with helicopters and the emergency services, so we usually watch Helicopter Heroes/Countryside 999 in the morning. Then sometimes something while we're waiting for parents to arrive and collect them.

We watch more stuff on youtube though. All current mindees are massively obsessed with Super Simple Songs atm. The moment they see me holding my tablet they want Twinkle (Twinkle Little Star (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCjJyiqpAuU)) or Bear (the Goodnight Song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKbpLQp509Y&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL028565C616627F50)). They are mad fans of the Owl, so every time we see one now they shriek 'Owl!' and start singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Fortunately I can squeeze a lot of educational mileage out of the videos! ;)

Samijanec
26-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Mines quite often on cbeebies in the back ground, my sons just gone three and loves the tv on. It's mostly not watched as they are far to busy playing but it's often on..

kime
26-08-2013, 06:46 PM
I have it on during the day but not all day. Usually first thing & at the end of the day & sometimes in the middle depending on what we are doing & mood of the children.

I have a tv policy so parents know that it is on at times x

Mrs Scrubbit
26-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Sometimes on for 10mins while I get all their packed lunches out and the two highchairs ,small table and chairs,otherwise I find the toddlers get in the way once they get the hint that food is on the way!!xxx

freckleonear
26-08-2013, 07:14 PM
No, I don't have one.

clareelizabeth1
26-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Never had a child interested in the TV. I don't have a TV in the play room so I think it's a case of what they can't see they don't want. I put it on if one is not feeling 100%. I like not having it on though.

sprinkles
26-08-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't have one in the playroom but we have quiet time etc in the living room. She had it on after lunch before she fell asleep and then schoolie had it on when she got here. Apart from that I had it on when she arrived this morning but also have a box of toys out just to give her a little quiet time after arriving and mum has left. Hubby has been here today though so had it on, she's only interested in it when the kids channel is on though so she didn't pay much attention to it if we were down here.

charlottenash
26-08-2013, 09:08 PM
No, I don't have one.

You don't have a TV or a child who likes TV?

Daisy1956
26-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Usually have it on after lunch for quiet time. It gives me a chance to clean up after lunch.

jackie 7
26-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Ok up to recently I was never have it on person. Now got a lo who only sleeps for an jour so I use it to stop him from sleeping.

primula
26-08-2013, 09:37 PM
I don't have TV on during the day.. Its on most of the evening as DH is a telly freak!! I used to watch something special with on mindee, I used to enjoy it too! In my experience Ofsted don't approve of TV on in the background, a childminder local to me left it on all through her inspection, didn't go down to well!

sprinkles
26-08-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't have TV on during the day.. Its on most of the evening as DH is a telly freak!! I used to watch something special with on mindee, I used to enjoy it too! In my experience Ofsted don't approve of TV on in the background, a childminder local to me left it on all through her inspection, didn't go down to well!

Eek that's not good! I'm in Scotland so not sure if it's different but I don't have one in the playroom anyway :)

charlottenash
26-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't dream of having TV on when Ofsted are here, some people are clueless!

JCrakers
27-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Ive had it on a lot during the school holidays. Dont know what I would have done without it. DVD's and TV as a 10hr day with children aged over 6yrs is relly hard without a break. PLus all parents agree that these holidays are to rest and enjoy. :D

When the children are at school I only have it on for quiet 20mins while some children sleep and 3-4yrs old atch a bit of TV so littler ones can get off to sleep. :D

karen m
27-08-2013, 11:50 AM
No never have it on during minding hours

adedwards68
27-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't tend to put in on for mindees but do state to parents, especially those who have a no tv rule, that when my own kids come home from school if they want to watch tv then they can

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

fionamadcat
27-08-2013, 01:09 PM
I put it on for about half an hr after lunch. Then it might go on for a bit after school for the younger school kids, especially like now when they are just getting used to new routines and full days at school. Never just in the background, if they aren't watching it goes off.

sprinkles
27-08-2013, 01:20 PM
I put it on for about half an hr after lunch. Then it might go on for a bit after school for the younger school kids, especially like now when they are just getting used to new routines and full days at school. Never just in the background, if they aren't watching it goes off.

This is what I do. Little one has it on after lunch as she has a sleep and helps quieten her down. It goes on for school kids but they sometimes don't watch so I just turn it off.

ziggy
27-08-2013, 01:56 PM
i have tv which just plays dvd's in playroom. some weeks we dont have it on at all, other times we will put peppa pig or thomas on for 30mins as a treat.

I have tv on wall in kitchen, some days (again as a treat) i will put it on after lunch for 15mins. have one mindee going home then and others go for nap when she has gone. it is good way to calm them down before home/nap.

I dont think it does any harm for short periods but hate having tv on all the time in background, just adds to noise for me. Mindees know if they dont sit quietly at tv/dvd time it will go off

shortstuff
27-08-2013, 03:29 PM
As a rule my tv doesnt go on. Sometimes either me or mindees just need a little down time so it does then though x

freckleonear
27-08-2013, 06:43 PM
You don't have a TV or a child who likes TV?

I don't have a TV.