PDA

View Full Version : Jury Service

AnnR
25-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Hi
I've been called up for jury service in October. I only started childminding in jan so don't want to let my current mindees family down plus I have a potential one in the next couple of months. I have a 1 yr old & 5 yr old myself who I would have to find care for.

Wondered if anyone could help me write a letter to try & get excused.
Thanks

miffy
25-08-2013, 09:08 AM
I asked to be excused jury service a while ago and it was accepted. I'm sure I have a copy of the letter on the computer so if you pm me your email address I will email it to you.

Miffy xx

VeggieSausage
25-08-2013, 09:09 AM
at some point there was a thread about this and there was a sample letter I think.....quite a while ago though....

AnnR
25-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Thank you that would be great x

jax clinch
25-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I was excused and just said that I'm self employed so would lose that income, that it doesn't only affect my work but work of the families I work with and then the cost of child care for my own children.

charlottenash
25-08-2013, 09:38 AM
I'd love to do jury service!

AnnR
25-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks I've done jury service before and ended up with a murder trial that lasted 4 weeks but that was before kids so was easier :-)

FloraDora
25-08-2013, 10:50 AM
I have always wanted to complete jury service!
It will just be my luck to get notice just as I start my childminding business!

The Juggler
25-08-2013, 11:43 AM
i had a letter to start jury service in the september when I had 2 new families starting (both babies). I explained about my loss of income, the inconvenience to all the families I worked for as well as the 2 mums who were placing their first babies with me after carefully visiting and choosing childcare and how they would now have to find someone else and I might lose the contract.

The letter I got back more or less permanently excused me from jury service.

doris127
25-08-2013, 02:05 PM
I got called 3 times in a year - got excused twice - eventually and ended up serving on a jury in a horrible case. I wrote, my parents wrote - didn't help!! Think it just depends on the area and how helpful the clerk is being!!

janminder
25-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I also got excused when explained that I had families who would have to find alternative childcare which would also be disruptive to the children and my loss of earnings.

sing-low
25-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Last time I was called for jury service (before I was working) I said that the costs I would incur for childcare for my own children would be above the allowed threshold.

Samijanec
25-08-2013, 06:01 PM
I've never been asked thankfully. Not something I'd want to do..

Samcat
25-08-2013, 06:38 PM
I got called before Christmas to do jury service in January. I read the threads on here about trying to get excused then rang my LA advisor for advice, who said she thought it highly unlikely I'd get out of doing it. As I'd only been minding since the previous September, I decided to bite the bullet and do it whilst I only had 2 sets of parents and some children's centre work.
I'm glad I did it. When I actually got called on to a jury (for a case that only lasted a day!), it was really interesting to see how things worked. There was a huge amount of boring waiting around though - at least I got a lot of reading done. They were selecting a jury for a case that was due to last at least 4 months as well. The judge fortunately understood that I'd lose all my business if I went forward for that so excused me, which was a relief!
Now I've established as a cm, I work with my husband as my assistant and have 6, soon to be 8 sets of parents, so I'd hate to be called up now and am glad I've got it out of the way. If I remember rightly, if I'm called again in the next 3 years I'm entitled to refuse next time now I've done it once.

AnnR
26-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks everyone. Going to send it off SD tomorrow and hope they excuse me as I'm really worried about leaving my youngest as she has never been away from me for such a long time & letting my mindee down

AnnR
26-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Well done my letter fingers crossed