PDA

View Full Version : Charge for extra 1/2 hour?

adedwards68
24-08-2013, 11:39 AM
If you have a parent who wants to pick up 3.30 but you are not back from school run till 4 would you charge for that 1/2 hour
Also if you have to do a pickup from a nursery and I know you can't charge for petrol what would you charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

Goatgirl
24-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Hi :),
For me it depends on the circumstances where this has come up. If a new parent wants to contract an end time where I can't be at home I will give them a choice of before or after times they can have: I would expect them to pay for the full time their child is with me.
If a child has an end time which becomes inconvenient during the course of our contract and I need them to change it, I will not charge for the extra time as it is my fault and not what we agreed at the outset.

Not sure on the circumstances for the nursery pick up so can't usefully comment, but hope the above helps a bit :thumbsup:

funemnx
24-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I have told parents at the point where we're discussing hours that I do the school run at certain times and contract them accordingly - for example, a parent wanted 8.45 but I'm not in to receive the child so they drop off before 8.30 so I have time to get them ready to go out but charge from 8.30 (when I leave the house). In the afternoon I'm back by 3.30 and parent is usually waiting for us - I charge until 3.30. It's then up to the parent to decide if paying for an extra few minutes is worth it. They might struggle to find a childminder who doesn't do school/nursery runs. If they want to change hours after the child has started, I would suggest changing the contract to reflect when you get back from the school run? It could be that parent might be able to change working hours to collect child before you're school run?

As you can't charge for petrol, could you charge a slightly higher rate to reflect the petrol usage or charge from when you leave home?

caz3007
24-08-2013, 05:44 PM
If a child needs to come a bit earlier or stay a bit later to accommodate my school runs then I don't charge, but that's just me.

SJ35
24-08-2013, 05:54 PM
One of mine wanted a 8.30 start but I need to leave then for school so I said they could bring them at 8.15 or wait til 9am when I'm back. They chose 8.15 so I charge for it x

FussyElmo
24-08-2013, 06:07 PM
If I need a parent to be there earlier/later to work around me I wouldn't charge for it :thumbsup:

k1rstie
24-08-2013, 08:02 PM
If you have a parent who wants to pick up 3.30 but you are not back from school run till 4....

I would think the parent would quickly ,learn that they can run into a supermarket and do a bit of shopping, or run an errand in this time or to even run a bit late from work, so would be happy with the extra time till 4.

I would let the parents at the beginning of my available times, and would charge.

Samijanec
25-08-2013, 06:10 PM
I'd do as others have said as well, offer a different time and charge.. :)