PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have a cleaner?

twiggy
24-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Just looking at the post about how many hours everyone works. I work about 50 hours a week and then seem to spend all weekend cleaning, washing and ironing. I am so tempted to get a cleaner, I already have a gardener as I don't get time to cut the grass and dh works 6 days a week so he doesn't have time either. I do worry that if I got a cleaner I would feel the need to tidy before she arrived.

Samijanec
24-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Just looking at the post about how many hours everyone works. I work about 50 hours a week and then seem to spend all weekend cleaning, washing and ironing. I am so tempted to get a cleaner, I already have a gardener as I don't get time to cut the grass and dh works 6 days a week so he doesn't have time either. I do worry that if I got a cleaner I would feel the need to tidy before she arrived.

I've been thinking about this and I'm the same as you, I'd be tempted to clean first. I'm not sure what the going rate is or what you can expect them to do so ill be watching this post with interest...

sarah707
24-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I love my cleaner I wouldn't be without her! She does all the jobs I don't like - changing beds, cleaning floors etc - so I can get on with my job. She's better at it than me as well.

What on earth is ironing?!? :ROFL1:

:D

Loushah
24-08-2013, 08:22 AM
I have recently started having a cleaner, to do all the basic cleaning around the house. I have a very quick tidy round the house before she comes.

I still do some cleaning the weekend if I get chance but I don't feel guilty if I don't get chance.

In this area for a cleaner you are looking at minimum £10 p/h.

Supernanny86
24-08-2013, 08:24 AM
My boSs has a cleaner! Makes my job so much easier! Lol!! I obviously keep it clean etc but daft tasks like cleaning cupboards windows etc i don't have to do! And of course I always do messy activities on the morning they're coming!!! Lol!!

£10 an hour in St. Albans:)

starschildmind
24-08-2013, 08:28 AM
My mother in law comes and cleans. She doesnt clean how i would clean. But its good enough to say its been cleaned.!!!! She does only take an hour and does most the house and things like door handles, stair gates and bottom half of doors. All the things i dont get time to do. Means it doesnt take me as long on a weekend and it doesnt look so bad ifni dont do it!!!

I pay her £10 a week. Not sure how long she takes as we all go out!!!

★ xx

TooEarlyForGin?
24-08-2013, 08:34 AM
My 16 yo DD does ironing, in exchange for us running her around to work ect. And from September I am going to get a cleaner, I am taking on extra children and already feel snowed under. I feel if someone can at least do upstairs, change beds and the bathroom it will take some of the pressure off.

Cleaning has been a constant issue with my and my other half, as he feels I make the mess, it's part of my job to tidy it up. I've never understood, how the children mess upstairs when it isn't used for minding.....??

Greengrass74
24-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Don't have a cleaner, but do have a lovely lady who comes and does the ironing, costs £10 per hour but well worth it especially with 2 teenage boys still at home.

snortlet
24-08-2013, 09:09 AM
A lovely lady comes in and does the bathroom, kitchen, hallway and some toy cleaning for me each week and its a god send. I don't clean before she comes but I do make sure all the accumulated junk is returned to its right place so shes not having to move shoes, books, clean washing out the way to actually clean! I can manage to keep doing top up cleans throughout the week then before the thorough clean that she does.

lilac_dragon
24-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Reading the replies I'm thinking this may be a really good idea.
But
When does your cleaner come? I wouldn't want them here when I'm working - or would I?
I definitely don't want them here at the weekend as it's the only time I have to myself - or do I?

What do you do?

Mouse
24-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Im looking into getting one. My MIL has recently taken on a cleaner, so I'm going to get in touch with her. All I want initially is someone to blitz the kitchen, bathrooms, landing and hall each week. I'm happy to keep on top of the rest.

I already have someone to do my ironing and DH does the gardening.

charlottenash
24-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Personally I couldn't stand someone else cleaning my house, I like to clean in my own way. Friday nights are mega busy, mindees go at 5.30, my son has a bath and watches a movie in bed (massive luxury for him) and then I spend about 3 hours changing all beds, loads of washing, Hoover everywhere, hand wash hard floors everywhere (mopping is great but its lovely to keep on top of the in between bits by just doing this once a week) and I have all washing up out away etc, kitchen and bathroom cleaned and ironing done. Then its a glass of wine and a hr bubbly bath, because I don't lift a finger for the rest of the weekend! Not a single bit of washing up etc, I just let it pile up to Sunday night.

It's a lovely feeling knowing its done!

JCrakers
24-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I really dont know what I would do without my cleaner. Shes a godsend :D
Before she came I was stressed with the housework and starting to argue with dh who, although helped a little i always had to either tell him or write it down.

She comes for 2 hrs on a friday morning and she hoovers, mops, dusts and cleans kitchen and toilet. It has taken a huge weight off my shoulders as the house was starting to look a mess as I didnt have time to clean properly. I would just do a quick nip round with the hoover after work and then spend saturday cleaning :(

I work 50hrs a week with 16 children so definitely needed someone to help :D

littlemiss60561
24-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm tempted too. I used to clean for my sister years ago and and was amazed at how much can be done in 3 hours with no distractions! Music on... no whining...earning more per hour than i do now....hmmm...
Id leave her whole house sparkling and ironing done sometimes too, to return to my chaos :0( When my ds started nursery, my plan was to get on top of things... Cheaper to pay nursery than a cleaner ! then my mindies hours changed, but my ds adored nursery so I kept him there ! Now... I'm back to wanting to get a cleaner in!
Can we only put through the books if the rooms are solely for work? As my ds plays in the play room I'm guessing not?

Supernanny86
24-08-2013, 11:09 AM
My boss gets cleaner to come on wed morn at 10, I know they're coming so just go out for a couple of hours, obv depends on cleaners as she's already fired one cleaner!! Lol :) these are very efficient :)

Samijanec
24-08-2013, 12:19 PM
So is two hours once a week enough?

snortlet
24-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Two hours works for me

Samijanec
24-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks, think I will get on to it over the weekend, don't need to to do the bedrooms but everything else would be good. I take it we can claim it back?

linzi133
24-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I have a cleaner who comes in for 2.5 hours..... And I love it!!!
I also get my ironing done!! I couldn't be without either!!!

Bumble Beez
24-08-2013, 06:13 PM
I would love to have a cleaner...however...I'm a definite Monica when it comes to cleaning :blush: so wouldn't work for me!!

Everything has to be cleaned how I like it, done just how I would do it and I'm so fussy that hubby now doesn't clean at all cos I just do it again!

I was on a course once and he had done the cleaning...I came home and started cleaning straight away cos it wasn't right!! I know, I know...I'm my own worst enemy :'(

Sarah x

Sweetpea
24-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Mine is starting on Tuesday!!! I'm soooo excited LOL!!

I think I'm so happy about it as it means that an immediate load of guilt has been lifted from me.

She's £10ph which is really reasonable for my area

Maza
24-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I have a cleaner for three hours a week, £10 per hour (London). She has been off for a month as she went on holiday and my house really suffered - as did I! It wouldn't have been too difficult if it wasn't the Summer holidays as I can't get anything done with DD around all day, bless her. Yes, I tidy up before she gets here but what's wrong with that? It keeps me on my toes! I never cook anything too messy on the day she has cleaned as I couldn't bear the kitchen looking like a bomb site again so soon. Be open and honest with your cleaner - if she's missing bits that you would like done, tell her asap, otherwise it will be harder to bring it up later. Also, if you have a feeling that she is taking the mick, get a different one. We're on our third one now and she is amazing. The previous two were lazy by comparison but I didn't have anything to compare them to, but I did have a gut feeling but was too polite to do anything about it for ages.

Samijanec
25-08-2013, 06:50 AM
I have a cleaner for three hours a week, £10 per hour (London). She has been off for a month as she went on holiday and my house really suffered - as did I! It wouldn't have been too difficult if it wasn't the Summer holidays as I can't get anything done with DD around all day, bless her. Yes, I tidy up before she gets here but what's wrong with that? It keeps me on my toes! I never cook anything too messy on the day she has cleaned as I couldn't bear the kitchen looking like a bomb site again so soon. Be open and honest with your cleaner - if she's missing bits that you would like done, tell her asap, otherwise it will be harder to bring it up later. Also, if you have a feeling that she is taking the mick, get a different one. We're on our third one now and she is amazing. The previous two were lazy by comparison but I didn't have anything to compare them to, but I did have a gut feeling but was too polite to do anything about it for ages.

Do you use a company or did you just find an independent one?

Maza
25-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Do you use a company or did you just find an independent one?

Well our first one was a cleaner that my friend used and it turns out that she didn't think she was that great either. She went back to her own country and arranged for one of her friends to take over. She wasn't too great either. In the end I asked my mindee's mum for the number of her cleaner as she had been raving about her. She's great. I think it's best to get a recommendation if you can - although why my friend didn't tell me that the original cleaner wasn't that good I don't know! Technically, I hadn't asked if she was any good, I had only asked for her number and my friend is a bit technical! My neighbour asked for her number and I told them that she wasn't that great. Companies can be expensive.

Loushah
25-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Reading the replies I'm thinking this may be a really good idea.
But
When does your cleaner come? I wouldn't want them here when I'm working - or would I?
I definitely don't want them here at the weekend as it's the only time I have to myself - or do I?

What do you do?

My cleaner comes for a couple of hours Tuesday morning, all the children are in the car when she comes...just let her in the house & go out with children & come back just before she goes to pay her...she doesn't have any interaction with the children.

FloraDora
25-08-2013, 10:58 AM
I used to love Fridays when my cleaner came- she could make the beds look perfect like an upmarket hotel bed! No amount of titivating from me can get the same results.

Samijanec
25-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Well our first one was a cleaner that my friend used and it turns out that she didn't think she was that great either. She went back to her own country and arranged for one of her friends to take over. She wasn't too great either. In the end I asked my mindee's mum for the number of her cleaner as she had been raving about her. She's great. I think it's best to get a recommendation if you can - although why my friend didn't tell me that the original cleaner wasn't that good I don't know! Technically, I hadn't asked if she was any good, I had only asked for her number and my friend is a bit technical! My neighbour asked for her number and I told them that she wasn't that great. Companies can be expensive.

I'm not sure I know anyone who has a cleaner but ill ask about, yea I had noticed that companies were expensive. Thanks for the advice. X :)

Supernanny86
25-08-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure I know anyone who has a cleaner but ill ask about, yea I had noticed that companies were expensive. Thanks for the advice. X :)

You'll be surprised who does have a cleaner!! I don't think most brag about it!!!! Just so you think they're the clean freaks!! Lol:) :)

samd
25-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum this is my first reply. I have a cleaner once a week for 2 hours and she's amazing. It certainly helps especially as I work full time.

twiggy
25-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I think I will make some enquiries next week. I do think having a cleaner would take a lot of stress away from me and I might even get to enjoy my weekends.

maisiemog
25-08-2013, 05:33 PM
I got one when I started working more than 40hrs in the week and it was a god send. I only do 15 hrs a week at the moment but have kept her as she does all the jobs I hate like pulling out the sofas and cleaning the skirting boards! She now comes and looks and what needs doing it and just does what she needs too do in the 2 hrs she is there!

Samijanec
25-08-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm certainly going to get onto this this week! :)

westbrom44
25-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I have a cleaner who comes for 3 hours one morning a week. I wouldnt be without her.

Roseolivia
26-08-2013, 05:29 AM
My cleaner comes every Friday morning for 3hrs so I have the weekend with my 2 children. She cleans all our rooms and windows etc, she's here when the mindees are here but I only have 1 so we stay in the playroom.

Bluebell
26-08-2013, 03:59 PM
I certainly need a cleaner but would find it a 'control' issue letting someone else in to my home to do it. Not because I am clean and tidy and have to have it done in a certain way but the opposite - I am messy and chaotic and I would be embarrassed! (and find it a bit invasive of my privacy) The place needs a major sort, car boot or charity dump and storage hunting. I did the downstairs as thats whats presented to children and parents but still can't seem to keep it the immaculate way I would like - too many bits of paper, books, 'bits'.
The upstairs is a disgace!!

Does anyone hire an assistant that doubles as a cleaner?

Leela
26-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I certainly need a cleaner but would find it a 'control' issue letting someone else in to my home to do it. Not because I am clean and tidy and have to have it done in a certain way but the opposite - I am messy and chaotic and I would be embarrassed! (and find it a bit invasive of my privacy) The place needs a major sort, car boot or charity dump and storage hunting. I did the downstairs as thats whats presented to children and parents but still can't seem to keep it the immaculate way I would like - too many bits of paper, books, 'bits'.
The upstairs is a disgace!!

Does anyone hire an assistant that doubles as a cleaner?

My whole family is messy and chaotic. I found a small cleaning company who come in on a Friday, the teenagers rooms were forbidden for them to enter and I would spend Thursday nights after the children had gone doing a manic tidy up session. The boss of the company usually does my house with one or two girls. One Friday morning she came in and asked how I was, I started to say I was alright when I thought who am I kidding. I told her I was exhausted from a hard week and had spent the evening into the early hours tidying up especially upstairs. She said don't and since then I haven't. AND when the teenagers were away they did their rooms as well AND it took two girls 3 hours just to do one room, it was unrecognisable when they finished, I nearly cried. I would say do it swallow your pride and let them get on with it. Xx