PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do you work each week?

cookiesncream
23-08-2013, 07:24 AM
I have been minding 43 hours a week since May and I am on my knees. Due to people swapping about I am due to work 48 hours a week from September. I dont think i can manage so will have to give notice to one lovely family. Feeling glum. How many hours a week do the rest of you work?

smurfette
23-08-2013, 12:36 PM
At the minute about 40-50, I am off some Fridays so do a 40 hour week that week and if I work Fridays it's a 50 hour week

Think it depends on how it's spread though .. I only work 8-6, and most days finish at 530, I am lucky it's busy here and because I offer more outings than other minders people are flexible with me to get a space.. I won't work before 8 as my girls leave for school shortly after and I have had little ones arriving at 730/745 and its just been crazy so don't do it anymore. Girls have activities most nights at 6 and dh is usually home to take them but it allows me to if he isn't, plus it's good to have an evening! What's the hours you would be doing? Think that is important

bindy
23-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Around 55 hours per week, with 6 under 5 everyday. I love my weekends!

Nicola Carlyle
23-08-2013, 12:53 PM
I work 7am - 6pm/6.30pm so approx 57 hours a week and I to am on my knees. Have 7 learning journals to complete along with all the usual paperwork. And apparently run my own house at the same time with my own two girls! It is a really heavy week and I am sleeping by 9pm latest on a Friday but I really need the money right now. I try to be as organised as possible and yes we do have the odd day where I say oh forget the planning lets just throw the rule book out the window and enjoy doing whatever we want! It's not easy. In fact its really flipping hard but the end is sight. I will be reducing my hours and not providing a dinner anymore and finishing at 5.30pm in September so will be working approx 52 hours per week. I would love to start the day at 8am but unfortunately its just not possible due to demand round here. xxx

It's a small world
23-08-2013, 12:54 PM
46 hours a week on the holidays this includes 2 children 9 hours 4 days a week . Very long for them . I plan activities - difficult to go out as mindees come and go at diff hours - garden open when dry then they don't want to play out . . They aren't interested in anything i plan ( so ofsted wont be happy as given up planning too much:-( ) i must admit in the afternoons in the hols we do watch a DVD as breaks the day up. Looking forward to back to school as groups open and less children . My ds gets fed up having lots of children in the holidays . Its a long week :-( xx

Mrsh3103
23-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Term time I work about 40-45 the holidays are what kills me. I've been doing 65-70 hour weeks! I've helped a mum out & have been working every Saturday (apart from this one yay!!!).

sprinkles
23-08-2013, 01:08 PM
I start on Monday, 24 hours a week with just one little girl and pick her sister up from school so hopefully will ease me into it :D

jadavi
23-08-2013, 01:12 PM
'The rule book' says follow the children's interests so I would say have fun all the time and keep planning minimal.(and written planning even less)

maisiemog
23-08-2013, 01:17 PM
15 hrs for me!!! I'm a lazy after school only minder at the moment! I may need to take on some EY children though as I have a feeling I may get bored! However I worked 50 hrs a week and I can never go back to that! I'm thinking I may go to 25 hrs but definitely no more than that! I'm grouchy and horrible when I do more and my husband would probably divorce me!

supermumy
23-08-2013, 01:20 PM
32 hourS and that's plenty with my own 4 kids also

Mrs Scrubbit
23-08-2013, 01:23 PM
About 30 hrs now but then I am an oldie. In my younger days I use to work 50-55 and with 3 children of my own and only 4 yrs between the 1st and 3rd -looking back now I don't know how I did it and I don't drive , use to have 9 children in total.........oh for the energy of youth!!! xx

NinaBowen
23-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I do 50 hours a week! 8am to 6pm 5 days a week! Would love to cut down but can't at the moment.

cookiesncream
23-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Wow! :clapping: You guys really work hard. My 48 hours are spread over 5 days starting most days at 7.45 and finishing 5.30 everyday. I am full to bursting on 3 days but due to changes I will only have one child (my full timer) on 2 days a week. I have told the family that I won't be working on those 2 days and they are looking for other care. It's a shame because they are so nice. I have been struggling with back problems for a long time and just need to get off the rollercoaster for a couple of days a week.

Pixie dust
23-08-2013, 01:27 PM
I do 40+ hours a week and I find by the end of the week the house looks such a state and spend the week-end tidying up ready to start again. My husband works offshore so when he is home we do try and have some family time. I am going to try and be a little more organised with paperwork etc after seeing Sarah's lovely guide she put on here about time management.

Bumble Beez
23-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I currently do 55 hours a week...and one week in four I do a Saturday for 6 hours so that week is a 61 hour week...

I'm feeling it recently tho...not as young as I used to be lol and I'm finding that 31 is not a good age for me :laughing:

I thoroughly enjoy my time off with my hubby and boys...

Are we counting time spent on paperwork too...cos that's a good 1-2 hours in an evening also...

Someone please remind me why I'm a childminder?! :rolleyes:

Sarah x

doris127
23-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Just counted it up - 55 hours a week - no wonder I feel old and knackered most of the time!!

SJ35
23-08-2013, 01:47 PM
I do 35 hours a week now and will be doing 45 hours a week from end September.

Three out of my 5 parents have asked if they can all change days and hours soon so this will change. I just hope I can fit them all in with their new hours!
X

ziggy
23-08-2013, 01:53 PM
I open at 8am and close at 6pm so guess thats 50hrs!!!! although baby some times doesnt come till 8.30 and may go at 5ish but is contracted 10hrs a day.

Luckily the mindees who are here full days sleep at least 2 hrs each afternoon, so if i'm really tired i read a book or watch rubbish tv while they nap.

Once all mindees have gone i have house to myself so dont need to worry about making dinner etc.

AgentTink
23-08-2013, 01:56 PM
I do 40 hours a week, spread over 10 hours a day Mon to Thurs.

I couldnt cope without my fridays off anymore, i need them to recharge, have some me time, clean the house, do paperwork and get ready for the weekend were i like to spend all saturday and sunday with my little family. :thumbsup:

kellib
23-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I do roughly 36 hours a week over 4 days in term time, I couldn't cope without my Friday's off!

In holidays I do less, sometimes no hours. Depends how generous I feel lol

tulip0803
23-08-2013, 02:31 PM
At the moment I do about 40 hours over 4 days BUT I work the other three days in a family centre (21 hours) I am shattered!!!!!

At the end of September I will be stopping my other job:clapping:. I will then be minding for about 61 hours over 6 days BUT I will have every Sunday off which I don't have now:clapping::clapping: 5 weeks and counting:clapping::clapping:

shortstuff
23-08-2013, 02:49 PM
the lo's are here for 50 hours a week, then theres the paperwork and my level 3. along with DS and OH

that would be why im asleep on the sofa by 8.30 some nights lol x

kellyskidz!
23-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Gosh I thought my 35 hours was enough, can't imagine 50+
Although if you take into account our planning hours and time taken tidying up after the day or setting up in the morning. Also those dreaded evening and weekend training courses (I'm not complaining, i know we wouldn't be able to do them otherwise without losing money but do they HAVE to be held on a sunny saturday) I dread to think how many hours we actually do..

Becci26
23-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I used to do 50+ hours, it was tough going with all the paperwork running a home, and being a mum on top!

I'm on maternity leave at the moment but when I return in October I am starting off lightly with 20 hours a week plus any ad hoc I may have. In January I will be back properly and have decided that I won't be working Fridays or past 6pm in the hopes of a better work/ life balance

lozzy23
23-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I do 52 hours a week. The last year I have felt pretty exhausted as I have had 4 under 5's 4 days a week and up to 3 after schoolies and I cook them their evening meal, (which I cook in batches at the weekend-more hours!!!). In September I have two LO's going to school, the hours won't change too much, but it will seem less hectic - I will have two and a half hours on Wednesday afternoon to myself when two LO's go to playgroup and I have been looking forward to that for the last 6 months:D

loocyloo
23-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I do about 40 hours Tuesday - Friday and don't work Mondays! starting at 7.30 some mornings ( was 7.15 ) and finishing by 6 each day.

I am tired by the end of the week and as from sept my Fridays are going to become manic so ARGHHHH! hopefully it will all settle down quickly!

Cottonsocks
23-08-2013, 04:43 PM
I do 52.5 hours a week at the mo & that's enough for me! 7:30am - 6:00pm Monday to Friday. Up to 11 children at any one time. Plus my own 2, but they're 15 & 11 yr olds. I used to do weekends & overnights but found after a while I needed a bit more family time.

Tazmin68
23-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Same as others 7.30-6 all five days which is why a little annoyed when one child not collected until 7pm.
Good job she finishes in 2 weeks
Debbie

funemnx
23-08-2013, 05:29 PM
55 hours here too - not as young as I was so it's getting tiring. I'm so looking forward to getting a gardener in to tidy up a bit next month, after the summer hols it looks a right tip but no energy to be bothered sorting it out.

samb
23-08-2013, 05:57 PM
I do 42-50 hours a week and am finding it hard. I've asked the mum of lo I have an extra 6 hours twice a month if she can see about swapping days after Xmas so I do max of 42 a week- I only have her lo on that day so if she can swap I will have Fridays off which would be fantastic :-)

fionamadcat
23-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I do 47 hrs just now, but friday is a quiet day only my full timer till 2 and a before and after school, so I get a whole hr to myself!! Full every other day and by end of week I am shattered!

karen m
23-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Term time I was working from 6.30 till 5 , 4 days a week from September it will be 6.30 till 2.20 5 days a week with 1 family then 3 till 5 with 2 other families so approx 50 hours a week

scottishlass
23-08-2013, 09:53 PM
At the moment I do between 43 and 48 hours a week depending on if my late finisher is doing 1 or 2 days that week - work mon - fri and would love a 4 day week! Xx

Mrs Scrubbit
23-08-2013, 09:59 PM
I now do a 3 day wk.....LOVE It, LOVE IT, 1st day tues, mid wk wed and last day thurs xxx

jadavi
23-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I also do nearly all my work on tues wed thurs. I have Monday off - or for settling in visits only and try to keep Friday very quiet.
All my parents managed to shift hours to the mid three days.
I tell them I will do Monday or Friday as a one off only if they are desperate.
It has made the job possible. After my first year of working crazy hours plus baby sitting I decided I was running myself into the ground a s couldn't sustain it. I love these hours which is around 35 total.

Mrs Scrubbit
23-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I also do nearly all my work on tues wed thurs. I have Monday off - or for settling in visits only and try to keep Friday very quiet.
All my parents managed to shift hours to the mid three days.
I tell them I will do Monday or Friday as a one off only if they are desperate.
It has made the job possible. After my first year of working crazy hours plus baby sitting I decided I was running myself into the ground a s couldn't sustain it. I love these hours which is around 35 total.

Agree it does make the job easier -esp with regards to the paperwork. I have never had any problem filling spaces either,so many work part-time now xx ps I'm a meanie and will never offer to do mondays or fridays!!

Cinnamon Sugar
24-08-2013, 06:40 AM
- not as young as I was so it's getting tiring. I'm so looking forward to getting a gardener in to tidy up a bit next month, after the summer hols it looks a right tip but no energy to be bothered sorting it out.

I'm exactly the same! I do 45 hrs just now but that's going up to 50 in Sept. I'm pretty tired too and my garden in turning into a wilderness! Just can't keep on top of everything.

Someone on here was talking about a time management plan? I'll have to have a search and see what I can find.
Definitely going to get a gardener. Might also look into a cleaner and a 'man who does' as I have a 'man who doesn't' ha ha :-)

fionamadcat
24-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Oh would be interested in a time management plan! I get up at 5.30 most days to make sure my dogs get a good walk because if I don't I'm too shattered by evening. Paperwork is hugely behind really need to get myself organised but just never seem to manage. Have just had a really hard few weeks, but school is back here now (Scotland) and my wee primary 1 mindee is now full days at school so am hoping we get into a better routine now and I am going to try and do some of my paperwork while the kids are here, well that's my plan!

Rachel6
24-08-2013, 07:03 AM
I also work 55+ hours a week,my long term plan when this set of children go to school in 3 years is to have a Friday off. Would also like to see the time management plan x

Samijanec
24-08-2013, 07:04 AM
One of my mindees left this week to start school so I was doing 8-6 now the kids are back to school I'm doing 8.30 till 5.30 Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and 8.30 till 7.30 Thursday and 8.30 till 6.30 Friday.

VeggieSausage
24-08-2013, 07:47 AM
I do 8-6/6.30 Mon - Thurs and now have Fridays off, I was working 52 hours a week over 5 days for a year or two and i was totally exhausted. Had a rethink and cut my friday when I had the opportunity, then I re-looked at all my paperwork and do less now and fit it in in my working day if poss and catch up with the housework etc on a friday so I have the weekend free.....time is still short but manageable. Am thinking of joining the gym and going before work early to give me a bit of time to do something for myself.....

charlottenash
24-08-2013, 07:52 AM
7.30-5.30 mon-fri so 50 hours a week with the children. Add another 2-3 for paperwork.

lilac_dragon
24-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Had a fairly quiet holidays due to mine including lots of teachers children. So, only 7.30am -5.30pm. Mon-Fri. so 50 hour week. 3 children per day on 4 days and 6 on one day, however also have my 2 granddaughters here until schools go back and that means I'm on duty 24 hours a day and has also meant no free time to catch up on housework, decorating, garden or paperwork which is what I usually do in the holidays - feel like I'm going under for the 3rd time!

In September it's full on. 5.30 walk the dog. 6am first 2 in, followed by 5 other school age and 1 pre school. Drop the schoolies off (2 will walk to High School themselves) 2nd lo I collect at school and 3rd little one arrives at 12. Collect schoolies and finish at 7pm. So 13 hours a day x 5 days a week = 65 hours a week. I also work 7 hours on a Sunday teaching Archery to 24 children and adults.
In my sixties now so YES I'm shattered! However this job is unreliable enough that I've had long stints of no work at all so I do everything I can. My Pension will be **** and our Mortgage has another 11 years to go so I'm committed to this for a long time yet.
I will have to vacuum after school drop-in as it will be way to early to vacuum before they all come. (Can you imagine when Mrs. O comes- "Excuse me Mrs O can you please lift your feet up while I vacuum under you"

Greengrass74
24-08-2013, 08:55 AM
7:30 to 6:30 Mon - Fri, so 55 hours per week plus paperwork each week probably another 2 or 3 hours.

Looking at this thread it goes to show that childminders do work hard and long hours, with the majority of us working more than the national average working week which in the UK is now 43.6 hours

and people say we have an easy job.

Read more: Britons 'working more than 48 hours a week' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-98342/Britons-working-48-hours-week.html)

littlemiss60561
24-08-2013, 10:02 AM
I do 52 hours over 4 1/2 days . My longest day is 7.45 - 9pm
Reducing slightly in September due to schoolies but picking up again November .
The bit I find hardest is then still having energy to fit in house work, paperwork and my own family! And when I work out what I earn an hour im tempted sometimes to go back to nights!! Good job I love this job more than not! And good job I'm "just" a childminder as I couldn't imagine how tired I'd be doing 9-5 with paid holidays and staff support!!