PDA

View Full Version : Meal times

lorraine04
22-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Ok, I have a 2 year old that has suddenly become a little rebel. Says no at everything. Tantrums several times a day, more so at meal times. As soon as I mention it's breakfast time or lunch time he has an all mighty tantrum and says he doesn't like it and refuses to eat. Mum says he doesn't do it at home. I've tried preparing it and leaving it at the table whilst I eat in the hope he will become interested. Tried sitting him at the table and letting him cry in the hope he will give up and eat. I've even tried waiting until he says he is ready to eat-never happens. When he sees someone else with food he then cried because he wants what they have. Now he has started saying he doesn't like it here lol. I know it is because I am firm with him but I am completely stuck as to how to get him to eat. Any ideas would be great!

charlottenash
22-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I might be wrong, but how about completely ignoring her? When its mealtime do your usual, 'it's lunch time' everyone comes to table, she's invited if she throws a tantrum ignore her.

Like I said that might be terrible advice lol!

lorraine04
22-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Today I tried pretending that it was my lunch and sat down to eat. He wanted it then and ate the lot. Will try it again tomorrow but I think he will get wise to this eventually.

Helen79
22-08-2013, 02:50 PM
sounds like he's just got into the habit of having a tantrum around meal times rather than actually disliking his food or not being hungry. You could try changing your routine and catch him by surprise, so get lunch ready but don't put it on the table. Then everyone sit up to the table for story/song time, then once you've finished the story quickly produce lunch and ignore if he tantrums. Once lunchtime is finished get him down with no fuss if he hasn't eaten it. He'll soon realise that he needs to eat it quickly and stop messing around if he actually wants it. As long as you're offering snacks throughout the day he's not going to starve himself.

emma04
22-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I might be wrong, but how about completely ignoring her? When its mealtime do your usual, 'it's lunch time' everyone comes to table, she's invited if she throws a tantrum ignore her.

Like I said that might be terrible advice lol!

Sounds like my advice!!
Children are clever beings and will try us daily!!