PDA

View Full Version : Assistant sick child on first day. What would you do?

KatieFS
22-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi all

What a rubbish situation to be in!

My assistant was due to start today. She texts me to say that she isn't able to come as she has sick child.

I've managed to find a childminding friend who can help for this morning so managed to do today. It's just one day I use her.

This isn't the first time she has been less than reliable. She hasn't sent ofsted forms back lost pins for DBS, there was a planned meeting with parents she had similar reason child not well. I know this happens, but her first day?!?!!!

It's been awful today. Feel very guilty about letting parents down and it's the summer so my kids are in this chaos as well.

Now next question.. What do I do?!?

I think I will find it very difficult to find someone else so quickly, that's I'm happy with.

There is 1 child who does only this day basically the reason I need the assistant.
My business head is saying terminate this contract. But I feel so guilty.

Help what do I do?

ziggy
22-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Are you allowed to work without her? I guess it would mean you are over your numbers. We dont have Ofsted here so not sure of rules

Personally I would give notice as her unreliability seems to be causing a lot of stress.

JCrakers
22-08-2013, 11:38 AM
This is one of the reasons I wont hire an assistant. I'm extremely reliable and wouldn't be able to cope with someone who isn't as reliable as me (basically anyone..lol)

In 6yrs I've had 3 separate days off and that was because I caught a sickness bug off the children. I know its not the same situation but I have a cleaner on a Friday to help me and since March I've had 7 different cleaners due to sickness, car broken down, son not well, being stung by a wasp, having a drs appointment etc.
If this was an assistant then my business would be seriously in trouble :(

Having your first day off isnt great but then if her child is ill then it can't be helped.

Sorry, not much use, a bit of a rambling..lol

Rachel6
22-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I couldn't cope with people letting me down or the children. I've had one day off in the last 10 yrs for my mom's funeral last year, I even worked the day after she died as I wanted the little ones around me to keep things normal for me, just text parents the night before & said don't be nice to me & I will be fine :-)

KatieFS
22-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Yes agree with everything said. A wonderful cm friend came to help with morning. Had to ask parent to collect early today as will be over my numbers and won't be able to cope with the numbers on my own.
Feel so upset

karensmart4
22-08-2013, 01:12 PM
I stopped having students for this very reason.... unreliable and letting people down does not bode well with me :mad:

KatieFS
22-08-2013, 04:21 PM
What a day. I feel totally drained

lozzy23
22-08-2013, 07:09 PM
My CM friend had an assistant for a few months as she wanted to expand her business. Unfortunately, this lady always had a reason for not coming in, poorly child, ill relative, poorly herself. My friend gave up the idea of an assistant, as she got fed up of letting parents down.

KatieFS
22-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes I've decided to forget the idea. Twice she has not showed up, forms not returned on time. I can't keep letting parents down. Too much worry and stress
But I will have to give a parent notice. Going to ring mum tomorrow. I think I might cry. I feel so upset I'm put in this position

marie33
22-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Hi , is this your first assistant ? Sometimes you have to give it another go. I had a couple of unreliable ones but have now worked with a lovely lady for over a year with no problems.

KatieFS
22-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Yes I know but seriously can't go through the worry and stress again- me and the children. I don't feel I can trust anyone with my business, without having a strong back up plan

Bluebell
23-08-2013, 07:35 AM
was it the childs first day or the assistants first day?

get your OH to be your assistant for a few weeks (if can get time off) or get your childminder friend to help out for a few more weeks and see if this assistant will work out? being a bit rubish with forms doesn't mean she will be no good with children and sometimes genuinely children are poorly and we have to let parents down - if you give her another chance you will be in a better position to judge whether you need to get rid, the parent will be more understanding that you have an unreliable assistant so can't be helped if you have to give notice and you will feel less guilty.

If it is only one child is there anyway you could do continuity of care to make an exception if child has been with you for few weeks?

I want to take an assistant but for months this has what has put me off - I was thinking the ideal would be to have 2 very flexible people that could cover the others holiday and sickness but still can't quite bring myself to advertise!