PDA

View Full Version : This is scary

Greengrass74
22-08-2013, 07:42 AM
I have just read this article

TechHive posted a story about a very serious hack on an everyday item, a baby monitor. A man used the internet to break into a Foscam-made camera in the baby's room and proceeded to terrorize the family by shouting expletives at the sleeping two-year-old through the baby monitor. The couple heard his creepy voice upon entering the kitchen. When they rushed to the room, he turned the insults to them.

While the family had to deal with the fearful experience first-hand, this story also brings out a scary reality. This isn't a new vulnerability...

"How the man broke into the device through the internet is not known, but vulnerabilites in wireless IP cameras and monitors are well known."

while many people may find it cool to be able to connect everyday items to the internet, the world isn't ready, at least from a security standpoint, for the 'Internet of Things.' This story should serve as a good reminder why, and hopefully force consumer electronic companies to make security a higher priority on their lists.

Scary stuff

unalindura77
22-08-2013, 09:07 AM
I have just read this article

TechHive posted a story about a very serious hack on an everyday item, a baby monitor. A man used the internet to break into a Foscam-made camera in the baby's room and proceeded to terrorize the family by shouting expletives at the sleeping two-year-old through the baby monitor. The couple heard his creepy voice upon entering the kitchen. When they rushed to the room, he turned the insults to them.

While the family had to deal with the fearful experience first-hand, this story also brings out a scary reality. This isn't a new vulnerability...

"How the man broke into the device through the internet is not known, but vulnerabilites in wireless IP cameras and monitors are well known."

while many people may find it cool to be able to connect everyday items to the internet, the world isn't ready, at least from a security standpoint, for the 'Internet of Things.' This story should serve as a good reminder why, and hopefully force consumer electronic companies to make security a higher priority on their lists.

Scary stuff

So scary!!! I read about how children who upload photo's to places like facebook etc don't know that people can look at them and see your location, address, become familiar with the rooms of your house or places you go. Scary stuff indeed

jackie 7
22-08-2013, 01:45 PM
The old monitors used to pick up the local taxi service! A bit scary to hear over the monitor.

emma04
22-08-2013, 01:48 PM
I was babysitting once and unbeknown to me the monitor kept picking up the cries from the baby next door!!
Burned off a few hundred calories that night I'll tell you, running up and down the stairs to check!!
Until I eventually realised!!