PDA

View Full Version : Advice please! Parent reducing hours......

Kes74
21-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I currently care for a 3year old boy, for 10 hours on a Tuesday, and 5 hours on a Thursday. He starts nursery in September, on these days, and his mums hours will allow her to take him and pick him up on the Thursday, and I believe Nanny will take him on Tuesday. Mum has asked if I can pick him up from nursery and mind him for 3 hours until she will collect him. So basically I will drop from 15 hours a week...to 3! But, she has also said term time only! I think I'm ok with this, however what should I do about the holidays? Should I charge her half fees for the 3 hours through the holidays and half terms, to keep the place open for her, and it's also unlikely that I will find someone else for 3 hours just on a Tuesday! Any advice would be much appreciated, Thank you.

charlottenash
21-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Personally I wouldn't do such minimal hours a week for an under 5. For me its minimum of 10 hours but even then I'm not keen.

If it was me for the day she needs you for 3 hours, I'd charge a full day because your not going to fill up the hours around that, if your really nice charge a half day.

I'd be tempted to say I wouldn't hold the place during the holidays and that they'd have to come back and hope I have the hours after the holidays.

yummyripples
21-08-2013, 09:11 PM
You have to do what you feel happy with. I charge half fees in school holidays for my under fives but I don't charge anything in the holidays for before and after schoolies x

unalindura77
21-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Personally I wouldn't do such minimal hours a week for an under 5. For me its minimum of 10 hours but even then I'm not keen.

If it was me for the day she needs you for 3 hours, I'd charge a full day because your not going to fill up the hours around that, if your really nice charge a half day.

I'd be tempted to say I wouldn't hold the place during the holidays and that they'd have to come back and hope I have the hours after the holidays.

I agree with this, or at very least I'd charge her half day fees. You have to think of your ratio's as you wouldn't be able to take on another child potentially that day if you had 2 more under 5's. I would charge either full day or half day and then the retainer in the holidays. She's thinking of what suits her naturally but you have to do the same......

Ooh look at me. Haven't even started childminding yet...but going by what I've read on here!

Mouse
21-08-2013, 09:31 PM
I think I would explain to mum that it's taking up one of your under 5s places and may prevent you from taking on another child as you're limited on numbers (many parents don't really understand that until you spell it out to them).

Tell her that you will have her child for the 3 hours for now, but you will be advertising the space and will give notice when another child comes along. She may be willing to pay a retainer to keep the space, or she may make other arrangements, leaving you free to take on someone new.

miffy
21-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Tbh I would only do this if it suited me or work was very scarce.

I agree with Mouse, parents often don't realise that we are limited on numbers, so I would explain this to mum.

Miffy xx

jfradgley1
22-08-2013, 07:12 AM
I have just faced the same sort of dilemma. 2 of my full timers are going to nursery in sept, so will drop from 9hrs a day to 6hrs a day but they still want a full day during the school hols, so I charge half price retainer for the 3 hours they are at nursery! Hope this helps x

Chatterbox Childcare
22-08-2013, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't do it - why doesn't the nanny pick up for her?

I would only consider it if she paid for my minimum daily fee of £25 all year round

karen m
22-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Also what happens if nursery is closed for some reason , had that once nursery had gas leak mum could not be contacted as in work but as I was picking up they called me I was not happy as mum had refused to pay when in nursery ( before / after ) nursery . Now if parents don't want to pay I don't pick up for any reason if nursery closes . Are you going to be nursery contact is what you need to ask

Kes74
22-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Thank you all for your replies. It's much appreciated. Initially, mum had said she would want the whole day through the holidays, and I would have charged half fees for the time he was at nursery, and then full fees once I had him, but now she says she has sorted something else for the holidays! I have others on books so its not the end of the world, but it could potentially stop me taking on other little ones! I think I'll do what Mouse suggested. I'm waiting for mum to call me back....,wish me luck! X

rickysmiths
22-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Also what happens if nursery is closed for some reason , had that once nursery had gas leak mum could not be contacted as in work but as I was picking up they called me I was not happy as mum had refused to pay when in nursery ( before / after ) nursery . Now if parents don't want to pay I don't pick up for any reason if nursery closes . Are you going to be nursery contact is what you need to ask

You were good I would have refused to pick up on the grounds of no Contract for these hours and therefore no insurance. Nursery should have more than one Emergency contact and a contingency plan if they can't contact a parent. What if you had been on an outing 20 miles away.