PDA

View Full Version : Over my numbers?

migimoo
21-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Want to pick everyone's brains....

From September I may possibly have 5 under fives for 1-2 hours on a Tuesday,4 of these are current mindees and 1 will be new business (hours not fixed yet) so I know that I can't do a variation but rather than take on an assistant could my CM friend and her 1 LO come to my house during that time and help out?

Do you think ofsted would be happy with that? Trying to find a way around this otherwise my business head is telling me I need to give notice to an LO I adore but who only does 2 afternoons a week.

Rick
21-08-2013, 08:21 PM
I would have thought no you can't do it as you are legally in charge of your own mindees. It doesn't matter if another CM is in your house, they have no contractual ties with your children.

Bumble Beez
21-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Personally from my experience, I don't think Ofsted would be happy unless the other person was registered as your assistant or you were co-minding with someone :(

Its hard, but its the whole 'new business' thing that's going to stop you from going in any other direction.
I feel your pain tho x

blue bear
21-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Even if you gave notice to the lo you still haven't got room for the new child as that would take you to four under fives that afternoon.

charlottenash
21-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I had my head bitten off the other day for suggesting I would give notice to one child, for financial gain by taking on a child for more hours. I'm surprised and glad to see the same hasn't happened to you on this forum.

If you already have 4 under 5's, you would need to give notice to 2 of them to get you back down to 2 under 5's so then you could take on the new business. It doesn't sound like that would be sensible.

No matter how many you have, another CM in your house will make no difference by law and Ofsted. Why not pass on this CM friends information to this new business and maybe they will use her/him?

yummyripples
21-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Why don't you just register your cm friend as your assistant and vice versa. That way you can both help each other out x

AliceK
21-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Even if you gave notice to the lo you still haven't got room for the new child as that would take you to four under fives that afternoon.

I gave myself an exception for 4 under 5's last Sept as all my 4 EY's children are from shift workers and so their days are never the same every week so some days I may only have 1, 2 or 3 of them but some days (such as tomorrow) I will have all 4 of them. Mrs O saw that I have 4 EY's children during my inspection earlier this year and she didn't bat an eyelid and didn't even ask to see my variation which is filed electronically on my laptop.

xxxx

miffy
21-08-2013, 09:45 PM
I can't see a way round it unless you have an assistant for that day.

Miffy xx

KatieFS
21-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I'd go with yummy ripples - that's what u need to do. Also get permission from parents of the children you'll both have on that day

FussyElmo
22-08-2013, 07:01 AM

As Bluebear says even if you gave notice you wouldn't be able to take this child on because you would have 3 under 5 and this would be new business.

The problem of relying on a cm friend to come round is what if she gets work or is ill etc etc.

The only way to do it is to have an assistant :)

migimoo
22-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Thought as much:(
The problem is that 2 of the parents won't know their exact hours until the beginning of Sept when they actually start college and their children start back here the same week and registering an assistant isn't an overnight process.

Think the only solution is to tell the new business that i'm unable to have him until after 1pm on Tuesdays (if she even ends up needing a Tuesday) and if she chooses to go elsewhere so be it!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-08-2013, 07:53 AM
I would put the other childminder down as your assistant for those hours. She is already approved by Ofsted and so you wouldn't need all the paperwork now.

I haven't taken on an assistant under the Sept 12 rules but isn't it the case that you determine who is now suitable and not Ofsted?

Also, if the other childminder is minding then she couldn't be an assistant but could you co share those hours on contract until you eventually take over a few weeks later under cont of care?

migimoo
22-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Ooh Chatterbox-if that's true it'd be great,the problem is you ring ofsted for advice now and I feel like they just refer you back to yourself!!

Do I just ring them/is there a form I ask for?

The other CM is on her hols until next week so can't do anything until then anyway.

Chatterbox Childcare
22-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Ooh Chatterbox-if that's true it'd be great,the problem is you ring ofsted for advice now and I feel like they just refer you back to yourself!!

The other CM is on her hols until next week so can't do anything until then anyway.

Just ring and ask - Ofsted will refer you back and then the ball is in your court and if not they will tell you what you need to do

shortstuff
23-08-2013, 04:34 AM

Do you have a partner/hubby that can help you out?

Ofsted still check assistants but I got told a partners checks are the same. Oh's came through in about 2 weeks?

Nicola Carlyle
23-08-2013, 06:11 AM
I've just registered two assistants under the September 2012 rules. I did have to apply to ofsted and get approval from them that the people I'd chosen were suitable people.

bindy
23-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Just register your CM friend. That is OK my friend has done this Ofsted said its fine. My friend is registered at her own home and at mine too. It does not cost anything. Good Luck and keep your business lol!!

hectors house
23-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Can't your childminding friend just do a contract with the parent for the hours that you are over your numbers (for the new business mindee) and co-mind with you at your house for those few hours on a Tuesday as your friend only currently has one mindee? Then you don't need to register her as an assistant - she is just a childminder coming to visit, as long as she is already at your house when mindee arrives.

migimoo
23-08-2013, 07:33 AM
That is also a good idea hector's house...she's abroad till end of next week so I'm stuck until she gets back really but i'll bear all of your suggestions in mind xx