PDA

View Full Version : Help, Advice needed

SarahH13
21-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi, im a newly registered childminder and as I don't have any children yet im still at work. I have a childminder though who looks after my 2 boys on a Monday. She used to charge me £30 for the day and to also pick up my eldest son from school at 3 until I got home between 4.30 and 5. Ive asked how much she will be charging me now as my youngest son now starts school in September. She has said that because she wont be able to have anyone else on the Monday (shes already got 2 other children under 5) that I will be charged £20 for the 2 hours for both my kids. She was originally only charging me £5 for the 2 hours she had my eldest which in theory shes now charging me £7.50 per hour for my youngest child. I need some help on this as I would only be charging my hourly rate for after school care.
Thanks

Leela
21-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Hi I'm not sure where you live but in my area childminders charge extra to pick up children from school. So if the daily rate for non schoolies is £6.00 an hour they would charge £7.50 an hour or more for after school care. I don't personally do school pick ups because its hard, having to get other children ready, younger children might be sleeping etc. you would also have to think about the time it takes to get ready and get to school not just the actual hours of care. If your childminder was charging £5.00 for two hours that was a bargain or did you mean £5.00 an hour? At the end of the day it's up to the individual childminder what she chooses to charge, fees in my area vary drastically depending on experience, qualifications, even background.

sprinkles
21-08-2013, 10:41 PM
I charge 25p more per hour with a minimum of 2 hours per session (either morning of afternoon). I only have one schoolie at the moment as she is sister of little one. I wasn't planning on having any. It works out nearly right as it's about 30 min walk from my house and I collect 1hr 15mins before mum picks up so only 15 mins out.

Everyone does it differently though.