PDA

View Full Version : time off guilt!

Bluebell
21-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Do you feel guilty taking time off? I tend to take time off in the holidays - christmas, easter and a week in august and training on my day off, a Saturday or in the evening but it also sometimes ends up on day that i work and can't be avoided!
Some of the mums have family or friends that can help out as a one of off but I'm really aware that some don't!

I've got a new child starting on the 11th sept and i've just had training dates come through for the first week in october - its through the uni so no alternate dates and training I've been waiting to do!

Also how to you tell parents that you have time off? - do you tell them yourself or do a letter? I've done a holiday document on my facebook page and so have just announced it on there as I know they all read it and can see who has seen it. seems a bit of a detatched way to tell them but better than waiting til next tuesday when i see them.

ziggy
21-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I was thinking the same in bed early this morning.

I am going to my daughter's graduation in November, which is in England, so will need at least 3 days off for that. Now, unexpectedly I am having to move house, possibly end of September and may need a week off for that.

I usually have 2 weeks at christmas, 2 weeks in the summer and bank holidays then maybe odd few days if I need to go over to England for family events.

I put holiday dates in monthly newsletter so everyone knows. When taking on a new child I tell them of holidays planned when they visit. I try to give at least 2 months notice and it is in my contract i will give a minimum of 4 weeks unless it's a family emergency

Samijanec
21-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I do feel bad but I don't know why, I work hard enough and I budget my four weeks off when I work out their monthly amount and this year I've barely taken my time off even though they've been paying less because of it. I'm taking a week off next month, (Term time as I currently don't have a child in school as of yet) and I've felt so guilty about it.. :D we are bonkers I think!

Bluebell
21-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I think its a combination of it being short notice and being within a couple of weeks of her start date - I feel bad about the other parents but particularly this one - maybe because it feels a bit unprofessional to be dropping a day like that? At least they are only affected by one day and not both.

rickysmiths
21-08-2013, 08:54 AM
No I don't feel guilty.

I have 5 weeks holiday a year and I tell my parents in late January when just over 4 of them will be. I keep 3-4 'floating days' which I explain to them I keep for unexpected things such as a funeral or family crisis and I undertake to give as much notice as possible but sometimes for example for a funeral it is not always possible, just the same way it would be for the parent it such circumstances.

I also have written into my Contracts and Policies 4 Paid Training Days. I did this years ago when NCMA/Pacey recommended it. Also in the last 5 years our LA has put on more training during the day. Now with LAs doing less and less I am accessing Training and Professional Development in other ways and that is sometimes not possible at the weekend or in the evening. With these I undertake to give as much notice as possible but it is not always possible. Also I may not take any or all of these days off each year they are there to use if needed.

I explain to parents before they sign a contract that that I undertake ongoing training and personal development as part of my practice, that it updates and adds to my skills and keeps me in contact with other working practitioners all of which keep me fresh in my practice. This is important fro the children in my care. I always say I will try to arrange alternative cover if they require it but I also make it clear that I can't always be sure to arrange it. They also know that I do a lot of training in my own time in the evenings and weekends.

yummyripples
21-08-2013, 02:22 PM
I fee guilty if I am off because of u foreseen circumstances but not my holidays. I tell everyone on their initial visit that I have 3 weeks in August unpaid. One of my mums who has been with me for years all of a sudden decided it was not acceptable. Thank goodness she left

emma04
21-08-2013, 04:22 PM
I feel guilty and do as much as possible to faff about changing appointments so that they don't clash with my minding hours! (I don't work Mondays!)

However, my dd was diagnosed with a heart murmur and congenital heart disease last October. She was an early baby, 4lb born and always found fighting off bugs difficult and long winded. She was admitted to hospital twice last year once with gastroenteritis and again last October, with severe tonsillitis and a viral infection, this is when they found the heart defects - sorry for the long story, but obviously have had to take lots of time out for appointments not to mention the hospital stays!

Now she's got to have her tonsils and adenoids removed, but not at the local hospital, has got to be Birmingham Children's hospital due to her heart issues, so more time off and appointments. I hate feeling guilty but doubly hate the fact that i'm feeling guilty about taking time off for my child!!:(

loocyloo
21-08-2013, 04:30 PM
sometimes, but usually it doesn't bother me at all! I give as much notice as I can and offer to swap days if possible.

i took a day off a few weeks ago to attend the local country show - my own children ( and I ) has entries in assorted competitions and initially i started working out how to arrange to meet children ( i had to be there earlier than the children arrive! ) and then working out what i'd need to take/do with them during the day, and thinking about getting them home for tea/having tea at the show and i suddenly realised that i didn't need to! i could just take the day off! so i did! i had a wonderful (long - 8am-6pm) day with my children and :laughing: saw all my minded children at the show with their parents! one of whom said that they had never been, but because i was taking the day off for it, they thought it must be worth going to! :D