PDA

View Full Version : Help, potty trained child having accidents again.

EmmaReed84
20-08-2013, 12:31 PM
I mind a little girl who is next week. She has been potty trained for a while now has been very good with it, she took to it straight away, the first day a couple of little accidents, but that was it.

However, she is starting to have a few more accidents, at first I put it down to the really hot whether and her drinking loads more water. Since it has been cooler she has had fewer accident but so far in two days she has had 4 accidents and each time says "It's because it is too far to the toilet and I was playing!" I have a downstairs toilet right opposite the living room door!

There some changes coming up, her brother is leaving me and going to school and she will be going to playschool a few extra days. Also I have two new starters one day a week from Sept.

Do you think this is just an attention thing and what can I do? Short of asking her every 10 minutes if she needs a wee (which I have kind of done anyway, just to be told no, then she will randomly wee herself)

I have no run out of spare pants and shorts for her. She is now wearing my 4 year old son's monster pants!

Samijanec
20-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I mind a little girl who is next week. She has been potty trained for a while now has been very good with it, she took to it straight away, the first day a couple of little accidents, but that was it.

However, she is starting to have a few more accidents, at first I put it down to the really hot whether and her drinking loads more water. Since it has been cooler she has had fewer accident but so far in two days she has had 4 accidents and each time says "It's because it is too far to the toilet and I was playing!" I have a downstairs toilet right opposite the living room door!

There some changes coming up, her brother is leaving me and going to school and she will be going to playschool a few extra days. Also I have two new starters one day a week from Sept.

Do you think this is just an attention thing and what can I do? Short of asking her every 10 minutes if she needs a wee (which I have kind of done anyway, just to be told no, then she will randomly wee herself)

I have no run out of spare pants and shorts for her. She is now wearing my 4 year old son's monster pants!

I'm having the same problem at the moment, it's so frustrating having asked and asked if she needs a wee and her saying no only to find her soaking wet and a puddle on my carpet.. :(
No help I'm afraid as I'm struggling with what to do as well...

lizduncan72
20-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Sorry no help here, just wanted to say I know how you feel! I've got a 3 1/2 year old that is soo lazy about going to the toilet, he lay on my couch while I was making lunch today and we'd all over it :( asked him why he was wet and his reply was I don't know

margaret
20-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I would go back to taking them to the toilet .Do not ask them just take them if you think they should go ,dont give them the option of saying no .Lots of kids go through this phase ,its boring going to the toilet when engrossed in play and they forget.I hear lots of people asking kids if they want to go to the toilet ,i know i dont if im engrossed in a book or film i will hang on till the last minute just like a child (just dont wet myself) .Always send kids to toilet 20-30 mins after a drink they should always be able to perform

EmmaReed84
20-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Thank you for the replies!

I will have to do the toilet thing and just take her, my problem is this LO has such a strong bladder and has been known to go almost the entire day before actually going to the loo.

Hope this does not last long!

caz3007
20-08-2013, 04:50 PM
I had this too with a little lady with a good bladder but she went through a stage of wetting herself and it was around the time she started nursery, persevered and kept asking her and made sure she went before nursery too and we worked through it. Wonder if will go back a bit when September comes

donna porter
20-08-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm having this trouble with my own 3 year old. She doesn't fully wet herself tho, just dribbles! Driving me mad. She starts nursery in oct so I need to get it sorted!

charlottenash
20-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm having this trouble with my own 3 year old. She doesn't fully wet herself tho, just dribbles! Driving me mad. She starts nursery in oct so I need to get it sorted!

Have you tried 'dry like me'. They really helped my son, haven't seen them around for a whole though.

lizduncan72
20-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Have you tried 'dry like me'. They really helped my son, haven't seen them around for a whole though.

Our Tesco has them, suggested them to mindee's parents :)

EmmaReed84
21-08-2013, 05:41 AM
:( I feel so bad now! Mum arrived to collect and mindee was wearing my son's pants. I explained about the accidents again and before Mum could say anything I quickly added that is a phase that pretty much all children go through, that she has mastered using the toilet and now it is boring and interferes with her playtime. I also said I would every 90 minutes sit her on the toilet and get her to go rather than ask "Do you WANT to go!"

Mum was so angry at LO! (Mum is very softly spoken and doesn't shout) but she really did make her disappointment known and was saying she she wasn't happy and things.

I did say it was a phase and not to draw too much attention to it as it will end up becoming an issue, but I think Mum is so upset about her LO now having accidents.

LO didn't pay much attention to Mum (She never does) but Mum said she would go home and tell Daddy and that Daddy will be cross.

I feel really bad now! :panic:

smurfette
21-08-2013, 08:50 AM
:( I feel so bad now! Mum arrived to collect and mindee was wearing my son's pants. I explained about the accidents again and before Mum could say anything I quickly added that is a phase that pretty much all children go through, that she has mastered using the toilet and now it is boring and interferes with her playtime. I also said I would every 90 minutes sit her on the toilet and get her to go rather than ask "Do you WANT to go!"

Mum was so angry at LO! (Mum is very softly spoken and doesn't shout) but she really did make her disappointment known and was saying she she wasn't happy and things.

I did say it was a phase and not to draw too much attention to it as it will end up becoming an issue, but I think Mum is so upset about her LO now having accidents.

LO didn't pay much attention to Mum (She never does) but Mum said she would go home and tell Daddy and that Daddy will be cross.

I feel really bad now! :panic:

I wouldn't feel bad! My eldest
Did this and I really lost it with her one day, nothing else had worked and I knew she could just couldn't be bothered! It did make a difference I think it's ok to tell them it's not acceptable when you know they can! (Though I might have been too harsh!)

VeggieSausage
21-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Yes I agree with Margaret, they have mastered toilet training and then can't be bothered to go as they are too busy playing, you need to take them to the loo - good plan. Also sometimes mums getting cross may be ok as a way to stop it, sometimes as parents we try everything nice, polite, gentle, cross etc and hope one of our tactics works.....and maybe this mum has tried it all.....don't feel bad....

donna porter
21-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Thank you! Have some on order from asda!!! I hope it works!

Rachel6
21-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Half price in tesco so off to get some just in case x

Zoomie
21-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I went through this with my DD. I eventually introduced a sticker chart where she earned a sticker for being dry in the morning, afternoon and evening, with a treat when she had gained sufficient stickers.

EmmaReed84
22-08-2013, 06:58 AM
:panic: yesterday was the worst day! Mindee had TWO stinky accidents in her knickers! This is despite me telling her to go the toilet and making her go and sit down!

First accident she got up and said "Emma, I am going to the toilet now! I am a good girl!" so I told her well done and gave her a little praise. She came in an something was not right, but I couldn't put my finger on it! Then my son went to the loo and shouted "URGH! Mum, L has left her poo knickers in the bathroom!" :panic: she had gone to the toilet to change her clothes!

Second accident she came up to me and said "Emma, I need to go to the toilet, I haven't done it in my kickers!" I looked and well, you can guess, the biggest poo ever, all over her!!! Mum arrive as I was cleaning her up.

We thing we have worked out what it is. Her little cousin who is a year younger than her has just moved down the road to them and it is since then she has started having accidents. Apparently when she is at their house she ALWAYS has an accident! Her little cousin is potty training right now and there is a bit of jealously from L to her cousin.

So, now we have got the reason, what can we do? I did the whole taking her to the toilet, but she still had accidents. I know what she is like and it wouldn't surprise me if she went to the toilet, held it and then just did it when she got off the toilet! I think she is wanting to get "rewards" for going to the toilet like her cousin gets... She said once when she went to the toilet "Do I get a sticker now?" Mindee will be 3 on Saturday.

What do I do? Give in and do what she wants, giving her stickers and praise and teach her that she can get her own way by weeing/pooing herself? Or stand firm and tell her she is a big girl and knows how to use the toilet and she will NOT be getting stickers?