PDA

View Full Version : Dummies

Jenna
20-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Sorry this is a little un childminding related but I'm after some help. Ds is 2.5 and is able to start pre school in September I'd really like to get rid of his dummy but wondered if any of u have any tips or advice on how to do it. I'm off Friday and Monday Tuesday next week so aim to get it done over the weekend. I've managed to get it so he only has it for sleep time but would like it gone altogether. Thanks

shortstuff
20-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Dont the dummy fairies need them for new babies? Dummy fairy always leaves a little gift for the big brave child who gave their dummies up xx

Samijanec
20-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Mine have never had dummies but I've heard a lot of friends saying that they tell their child that the dummy has to go off now ready for a new baby that will need it and the put a false address on a parcel and get the child to help post it off!! It worked every time! :)

JCrakers
20-08-2013, 07:55 AM
We gave ours to father Xmas on xmas eve but i have a few people who gave it the dummy fairy (same kinda thing as the tooth fairy but they collect dummies for all the babies who need them) then they leave either a little present or a coin under pillow or next to bed :D

My son was 3.5 when he gave his up as he still had it for bed. My dd didn't have one. If youre little one is starting a new environment which can be stressful etc. then I would leave it for a while and not do it at the same time as he is starting but only you know his personality :thumbsup:

ziggy
20-08-2013, 08:23 AM
I started with leaving dummy in bed or cot, so it was still available for sleep time. Then left for dummy fairy or father christmas.

Mindees only ever have them at nap time so makes it bit easier

hectors house
20-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't do it until he has settled completely at pre-school, and wouldn't say anything like you are a big boy now going to pre-school you don't need a dummy or otherwise he will be blame pre-school for his dummy being taken away.
Think my little girl (now 18) left hers with her stocking for Father Xmas when she was about 2 & half, if he is only having it for naps and bedtime it isn't delaying his speech or development so take it one new step at a time.

Memina
20-08-2013, 09:56 AM
We cut the tip of the dummy. Was the first time my 2yo said a rude word lol.

But it worked he did keep it close but never put it in his mouth again

charlottenash
20-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Put lemon juice on it, they'll soon think its boring when it tastes horrible.

dette
20-08-2013, 12:07 PM
my 2 youngest were only 13mnth apart so I found it difficult to take dummy off the older one as he would take his little brothers so when they were 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 we went for a walk to the ducks and swans and I told them I could hear a baby swan crying ..I pocketed the dummys on the sly and threw a stone into the water ,told them that the mammy swan would give it to her baby and he would feel better ..they loved the idea and asked about it for years

suziealderton
20-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Sorry this is a little un childminding related but I'm after some help. Ds is 2.5 and is able to start pre school in September I'd really like to get rid of his dummy but wondered if any of u have any tips or advice on how to do it. I'm off Friday and Monday Tuesday next week so aim to get it done over the weekend. I've managed to get it so he only has it for sleep time but would like it gone altogether. Thanks

I took my daughter to toys r us, and she chose a favourite toy ( jessie from toy story) at the till i explained that if she gave the dummies (we rounded ALL the stray ones up) to the lady then she could have the jessie doll. Good old fashioned bribery worked for us! Good luck x

littlemiss60561
20-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Hi, my ds gave his to the dummy fairy and it coinsided with Prince George being born. He now says he made the queen happy as the faires gave his dummy to her baby grandson! Bonus! He was left a silver bag contains anything I could lay my hands on.just had his 3rd party so party bag bits left from there, and a paper airoplane, choc coins and 3 real coins as he was 3. I hadn't planned to do it that night but he'd remembered a conversation from months ago that when he was 3 he didn't need dummies so went with it. He asked a few times and had the odd cry the next night but has been fine. I had to snip the end off before I threw it incase I gave in!
Personally I'd do it now . or a while after he starts . But theres Few weeks left yet. My son was over it really quick. I wish I'd just done it earlier !